Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance What is he doing in this picture? *WARNING: GROSS*

bibliocavy

Cavy Slave
I know this picture is kind of gross, but I'm just curious as to what Oliver is doing with his butt? It's like he is pushing his anus right out. I know it is a dominance thing. He was just being introduced to his herdmate, Colian. He doesn't do it anymore, just the first night. Have any of your boars done this? What is this specific "butt- poofing" behaviour called?

What is he doing in this picture? *WARNING: GROSS*

Razzle

Cavy Slave
Hope someone can lead you to the story someone wrote about her bad boys. I think it's at Guinea Lynx. Just so funny. It has much to say about this behavior. Good thing males piggies are so loveable.

Amy262

Cavy Slave
I have NO idea! Kinda makes me glad we have girls!! :D

farmersdaughter

Cavy Slave
I think he is marking territory. My skinny pig does this sometimes.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
i really cant help comparing him to Jim Carrey, who parted his ass to 'talk' with it at some event i forgot.

bibliocavy

Cavy Slave
@Varcoda : I believe that was in Ace Ventura Pet Detective! LOL

@ThePigAlchemist: It did create quite the stink, that's for sure!

Luckily he only did this a few times.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
haha oh yeah! and he did that at some grammys or similar event as well XD

CharScoobJoey

Cavy Slave
:yuck: ugh, my boys do this every once in a while. It smells REAL bad.

SimbaDC650

Cavy Slave
my teddy bear noah does this daily, it does not stick but it freaks my mom out, I normally just poke him behind the ear and he popcorns. I have 3 boys. I find it more to do with adolence so I have 2 more who will be going through that stage. But as for smelling, I dont notice one. Just the poop hanging out from when he does it.

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have two very dominant boars who live in separate cages and they do it allll the time. It's like as soon as they notice each other they have to have a stink war to see who can make my apt smell worse, they both win on that one lol. My submissive boy has never done it though. They are worst when out of their cage, when they come out for floor time, one ecpecially, will just go pace in front of the other boys cage doing that. It's pretty gross, and he goes back in his cage as soon as that starts.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
the more i read this thread, the more i am convinced i will never have a boar :D

Chritazy

Cavy Slave
@Varcoda, I totally agree. The more I learn about boars the less I want one!

SimbaDC650

Cavy Slave
@Varcoda , I totally agree. The more I learn about boars the less I want one!

The more I read and interact... Sigh im stuck with 3 boars who boss me around.

Chritazy

Cavy Slave

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Male guinea pigs (and I believe sows too but I am not sure) have glands in their anal sacks for marking their territory. When they are showing off who is boss they will do what this male is doing. You may or may not have noticed but there is usually a strong smell that comes from them doing this. A lot of times it will look like there is something white on their bums.

This is also what makes anal sack cleaning so much fun *NOT*. Males will rub this on the bottom of the cage. Hay, hair and other random bits of junk will get in the sack, which is why I always suggest cleaning their sacks every month to every few months depending on how messy their sacks are. The only real way to tell how messy they are is to clean them, if you find they are not very messy, wait a month longer and try. Each male is different.

Reko my grey pig needs his done almost monthly because for what ever reason his sack is always dirty. Mojo on the other hand needs it done every 3-4 months. I have found that neutered males don't get as "gross" down there as unaltered males. Sows hardly ever need it theirs cleaned, they may be because its a male thing, I personally do not know.

bibliocavy

Cavy Slave
But they are so friendly though! I like boars, just not when they are giving birth to their anal sacs!

SimbaDC650

Cavy Slave
Yes im glad they are cute, until I bath them this weekend.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
OMG, Roger is our stinker! He has a large perineal sac and he likes to strut his stuff. It's like he's vaccuming his cage with it! He has to have hay and stuff cleaned out of it at least once a week. Roger enjoys his "spa day" and lays back like he is being fanned by a servent and getting hand fed grapes! Our sweet little Huey never, ever, has a dirty sac and gets greatly offended when I do check it:eek:! Huey also keeps a tidy cage and Roger feels the world is his toilet!

What is he doing in this picture? *WARNING: GROSS*What is he doing in this picture? *WARNING: GROSS*

Last edited:

Razzle

Cavy Slave
Those are some cute butt shots. Cute fellows.

David Fiorini

Cavy Slave
So, does this explain that stinky smell you suddenly get when you have the boys around you? I had my boys on my bed and for some reason I thought one of them let out some major gas. I gave Mo the stink eye who was trying to mount Bobo.

BTW - Nice job on the butt shots, keep it up everyone :p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.