Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Can a hamster be in same room as Guinea pigs?

The_Cavy_Crew

Cavy Slave
I am getting a hamster and was wondering if they could be in the same room or would that stress them out too much? The will not be in the same cage.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
I don't know much about Hamsters but I don't see why not. I've seen people who have bunnies in the same room as guinea pigs, as long as the animals are healthy I don't really see a problem. One of the admins could correct me if I'm wrong.

Guineahamster65

Cavy Slave
I keep my hamster in a room with my piggies the only problem I think you would have would be the noise factor. Since guinea pigs week it may wake up your new hammy and put a lot of stress on them. I may be able to help you if you tell me what type of cage you are using. Maybe together we can think of something for the first couple of weeks.

The_Cavy_Crew

Cavy Slave
I keep my hamster in a room with my piggies the only problem I think you would have would be the noise factor. Since guinea pigs week it may wake up your new hammy and put a lot of stress on them. I may be able to help you if you tell me what type of cage you are using. Maybe together we can think of something for the first couple of weeks.

I agree with the noise factor. My Guinea pigs are VERY loud. What cage do you mean? The Guinea pig one or the hamster one?

Guineahamster65

Cavy Slave
I mean hamster r sorry for not being clear.

Guineahamster65

Cavy Slave
I wanted to know so maybe we could come to a conclusion on where to put the hammy cage. If it's som like a retold then you are just going to have to keep it where it is.

The_Cavy_Crew

Cavy Slave
I wanted to know so maybe we could come to a conclusion on where to put the hammy cage. If it's som like a retold then you are just going to have to keep it where it is.

I do have some space for a hamster cage or I can just put it in my sisters room.

Guineahamster65

Cavy Slave
If your sister doesn't mind that would be a good idea. Also sorry for being nosy but I just want to know what type of cage for your hammy. Please don't buy a Petstore cage and make one.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Can a hamster be in same room as Guinea pigs?

This is a perfect hamster cage its the detolf ikea cabinet which is converted into a hamster cage and meets all the requirements just know that if you have a Syrian hamster it will need a lid

The_Cavy_Crew

Cavy Slave
If your sister doesn't mind that would be a good idea. Also sorry for being nosy but I just want to know what type of cage for your hammy. Please don't buy a Petstore cage and make one.

I am thinking of getting a 20 gallon tank or more for a cage

The_Cavy_Crew

Cavy Slave
Can a hamster be in same room as Guinea pigs?

This is a perfect hamster cage its the detolf ikea cabinet which is converted into a hamster cage and meets all the requirements just know that if you have a Syrian hamster it will need a lid

i think that cage is too big for me. I might just get a 20 or 30 gallon tank.
i have seen that cage before!

Guineahamster65

Cavy Slave
i think that cage is too big for me. I might just get a 20 or 30 gallon tank.
i have seen that cage before!
That is a good size cage. I have a cheaper idea. What about bin cages I have two stacked together with a tube connecting it is beautiful and doesn't get chewed on. Plus your new ham and your wallet will be happy. My cage is 1050(I think it's in the 1000 range) sq inces and it only cost me twenty five bucks. A twenty gallon costs about 30 and some bins are even cheaper just remember the minimum is 66 quarts.

The_Cavy_Crew

Cavy Slave
That is a good size cage. I have a cheaper idea. What about bin cages I have two stacked together with a tube connecting it is beautiful and doesn't get chewed on. Plus your new ham and your wallet will be happy. My cage is 1050(I think it's in the 1000 range) sq inces and it only cost me twenty five bucks. A twenty gallon costs about 30 and some bins are even cheaper just remember the minimum is 66 quarts.

How easy is it to clean? Also, I am not getting the hamster for about 2 weeks so I have time to plan. I was thinking the tank would be easy to clean, bin cages look cool though!

miniver

Cavy Slave
I have a bin cage and it's very easy to clean. It's also very easy to lift and reposition around the room if I need to. You don't need to clean hamsters like guinea pigs. I only take out a small handful of soiled bedding each day. I replace more of the carefresh weekly and only clean the nest area every two weeks. Compared to my two guinea pigs, hamsters are a breeze to care for.
I too have them in the same room but they can't see each other. The piggies don't bother the hamster but the hamster bothers the piggies. She likes to run her hamster ball into the side of the piggy cage which can be very noisy.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Just know that if you use a bin cage to make sure that your hamster isn't a big chewer otherwise it wouldn't work.

The_Cavy_Crew

Cavy Slave
Is a 20 or 30 gallon tank easier to clean. Is a bin cage?

scoottie

Cavy Slave
The minimum for a glass tank is 30/40 gallon tank

The_Cavy_Crew

Cavy Slave
The minimum for a glass tank is 30/40 gallon tank

On hamster hideout they say a 20 gallon is minimum. I will get a long one if I do.

Guineahamster65

Cavy Slave
On hamster hideout they say a 20 gallon is minimum. I will get a long one if I do.
Since my cage is bigger I don't have to clean it every two weeks once a month is good if you have an adequate cage. I will post a picture of mine. I had a tank before stuff always got caught in the silicon and my hammy was biting it. If you have any questions on Hh(Hamster Hideout) my user is Hammylover65love I would love to help

The_Cavy_Crew

Cavy Slave
Since my cage is bigger I don't have to clean it every two weeks once a month is good if you have an adequate cage. I will post a picture of mine. I had a tank before stuff always got caught in the silicon and my hammy was biting it. If you have any questions on Hh(Hamster Hideout) my user is Hammylover65love I would love to help

I don't have a hh account but I read stuff on it a lot.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.