Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Lofts and counting as floor space

guineapigman

Cavy Slave
Hi. I have had loads of people tell me that lofts don't count as floor space and usually the reason I found was that they are usually small and pigs can't run around them. My question is if I made a really big loft (about the size of a 2x3 in grids) would that count towards floor space? I am really restricted by the space I have in my room, and adding space vertically is the only way I can increase the size of my cage. I am thinking the second level could be about 18-20 inches off the ground. Thanks

kanojochan

Cavy Slave
From what I understand, lofts don't count as floor space because not all pigs will use the ramps. The main floor is where they spend most of their time and run laps and get their exercise. Lofts, in most cases, are smaller than the main floor.

pinky

Cavy Slave
It's not whether it counts as floor space, it's whether you have enough space on a single level for the number of guinea pigs you have to run laps and have enough space without climbing up or down. Lofts are a luxury. They're an added bonus but aren't necessary. Adequate space on a single level is what's important.

guineapigman

Cavy Slave
Ok, thanks for the input. I have been told my cage is about the size of a 2x4 but I could put a loft over it that would be the size of a 2x3 or 2x4. Presuming all the guinea pigs used the ramps and do use both levels would it be considered a 2x7 or 2x8 or just a 2x4 with a really big loft? Or in other words would it be big enough for 3 guinea pigs? Thanks

kanojochan

Cavy Slave
It would still be considered a 2x4 with a big loft, which is small for 3 guinea pigs, especially if one or more of them are male.

pinky

Cavy Slave
It would still be a 2x4 with a loft. I wouldn't house more than 2 guinea pigs in there. If you have more than two on either level, the space would be too tight and they'd probably fight or be stressed.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
If they're all girls, and they all get along a 2x4 with a loft will work. You can't go any smaller, but it should work.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
It should be fine with a trio of girls who get along well. However, it's too small for a trio of males, and it might be a little tight even for just two boys.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I think it would even be too small for three females. You'll lose a little space on the lower level due to the ramp and it would be really tight on each level for 3 of them.

guineapigman

Cavy Slave
Here is the situation. I don't know if anyone has seen my other threads but my friend rescued a pig a few weeks ago and it turned out she was pregnant. When I was looking for a rescue I was asking her where she got hers, but she told me one of hers was pregnant and asked me if I would take some of the babies, so I agreed because finding a rescue was tricky. Now the guinea pig has had her babies, a little earlier than expected (estimated around 8 weeks) and there is 6 piglets(correct word?), 3 boys and 3 girls. She is hoping I could take the three girls when they are ready so that one of them wouldn't have to be separated from the others. I'm not sure if my cage is suitable for three girls, some people say it is and some say it isn't. It would also be possible to have 2 2x4 cages, one on top of the other and put 2 sisters in one cage and get the other sister a friend but that would still mean separating the sisters. Do you think it will work out ok? I was thinking I could attach a fringe to the underside of the ramp so that it would be one of their hideys and the space wouldn't be wasted.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Here is the situation. I don't know if anyone has seen my other threads but my friend rescued a pig a few weeks ago and it turned out she was pregnant. When I was looking for a rescue I was asking her where she got hers, but she told me one of hers was pregnant and asked me if I would take some of the babies, so I agreed because finding a rescue was tricky. Now the guinea pig has had her babies, a little earlier than expected (estimated around 8 weeks) and there is 6 piglets(correct word?), 3 boys and 3 girls. She is hoping I could take the three girls when they are ready so that one of them wouldn't have to be separated from the others. I'm not sure if my cage is suitable for three girls, some people say it is and some say it isn't. It would also be possible to have 2 2x4 cages, one on top of the other and put 2 sisters in one cage and get the other sister a friend but that would still mean separating the sisters. Do you think it will work out ok? I was thinking I could attach a fringe to the underside of the ramp so that it would be one of their hideys and the space wouldn't be wasted.

My own preference is for pairs over trios but since yours are siblings, there might be a better chance of them getting along. I've had double decker cages for some time now. I've had 4 separate pairs in two 2x4 double deckers (one pair one each level) which worked out perfectly. After losing two guinea pigs, I regrouped them into 2 trios in one double decker 2x4 which was too tight. (one all female trio with a mom and daughter and young female and the other with two senior females and a senior neutered male.) I rebuilt it into a double decker 2x5 which offered more space. Two of them recently passed so I have a pair on each level now. I think you could start off with a single level 2x4 and see how well they get along. If they're very bonded and don't squabble, add the loft later. If you have a dominant one, it might guard the loft and not allow the others up there. They might also fight over the area under the ramp. I had 5 in a huge cage with loft. One wouldn't allow the others to use the loft. If it's too tight, turn it into a double decker and adopt a fourth to have two pairs.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
I have a trio of girls in a 2x4 with a 2x2 loft. Honestly, it's the only way I can keep them.

This is my guinea pig room.
Lofts and counting as floor space

The ramp in my cage really doesn't take up any floor space, it actually acts as an extra hidey. I used to have either Fiddlesticks in the cage or during summer I would use a pantry extended shelf thingy (no idea what they are called, but the pigs loved it.) so it takes up no more floor space than either of those did and they all spend quite a bit of time upstairs. I do make sure these girls get a little extra time during floor time on the weekends but they are all very fit and healthy.
Lofts and counting as floor space

pigger123

Cavy Slave
In my experience, being siblings does not mean they will be bonded. My three baby girls who have been together since birth squabble all the time. Granted, there's no serious fighting, but I have a feeling there would be if they were in a smaller cage. I don't think my girls would have any problem being separated from each other, as long as they all still had a cage mate. If they're still babies and not very bonded you can get away with splitting them up.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have a trio of girls in a 2x4 with a 2x2 loft. Honestly, it's the only way I can keep them.

This is my guinea pig room.
View attachment 67894

The ramp in my cage really doesn't take up any floor space, it actually acts as an extra hidey. I used to have either Fiddlesticks in the cage or during summer I would use a pantry extended shelf thingy (no idea what they are called, but the pigs loved it.) so it takes up no more floor space than either of those did and they all spend quite a bit of time upstairs. I do make sure these girls get a little extra time during floor time on the weekends but they are all very fit and healthy.
View attachment 67895
Are you referring to the bottom cage? It looks more like a 2x5. Aren't those two white grids to the right of the loft? Looks like another one can fit to the right of them.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Are you referring to the bottom cage? It looks more like a 2x5. Aren't those two white grids to the right of the loft? Looks like another one can fit to the right of them.

No, it's a 2x4. If you look really closely you can see that that under the loft there's a divider that splits the left cage from the right cage, so the kitchen is a 2x1 and the rest of the cage is a 2x3.

pinky

Cavy Slave
No, it's a 2x4. If you look really closely you can see that that under the loft there's a divider that splits the left cage from the right cage, so the kitchen is a 2x1 and the rest of the cage is a 2x3.
Oh, I see. The tray on the left belongs to the other cage... You'd need a really bonded trio in there. I had a dominant one in each of my trios so I needed a large, open space to keep the peace.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
The top level is offset, it covers the litter areas of both cages (they slide out for easy cleaning). Bottom level is a 2x4. And yeah, they get along really well, it's a mum and her two girls so they've always been together.

guineapigman

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone, I think I will try it out with the trio and if it doesn't work I will get another pig and get rid of the ramp.

Photolove3

Cavy Slave
Just my personal opinion but I think that cleaning under a loft that is 2 grids deep is a struggle enough (i now have my 2x2 lofts offset so they're only covering 1 gird of the cages) So if you were planning a loft especially a 2x3 over a 2x4 you'd already have to offset it anyway so the ramp wouldn't be a cliff but then i would recommend offsetting it one more time so your length then would already be a 2x6, or a 2x5 if you only offset it once. So you'd already be taking up the floorspace of a 2x5-2x6 and at that point you might at well just get one level 2x5 of 2x6 for the three of them. Just my thinking though.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Just my personal opinion but I think that cleaning under a loft that is 2 grids deep is a struggle enough (i now have my 2x2 lofts offset so they're only covering 1 gird of the cages) So if you were planning a loft especially a 2x3 over a 2x4 you'd already have to offset it anyway so the ramp wouldn't be a cliff but then i would recommend offsetting it one more time so your length then would already be a 2x6, or a 2x5 if you only offset it once. So you'd already be taking up the floorspace of a 2x5-2x6 and at that point you might at well just get one level 2x5 of 2x6 for the three of them. Just my thinking though.

With a 2x3 over a 2x4, you could inset the ramp so it had enough of a slope, and then make the front of the bottom level able to fold down so you could easily clean it. That way you wouldn't have to offset the loft, although it might be a bit dark on the bottom level.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.