Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners Sewing machine tips with fleece?

kairi26

Cavy Slave
I bought a good quality beginner's sewing machine, and I'm looking for some advice.

When working with thick projects like fleece pads lined with uhaul blanket, how quickly does the needle dull? I've made two fleece liners and a pee pad and I'm wondering if I should change my needle now, or if its still good for a while?

I have very little sewing experience, so I'm not sure what stitch type or length I'm supposed to be using. I've just kinda winged it.

Finally, I was hoping that some of you might have more general advice for tips, tricks, and maintenance.

Thanks!

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
I haven't had to change a needle after sewing four liners and two pads with uHaul in the middle. I use a plain straight stitch when working with fleece, with the length of the stitches increased a bit. I also "wing it" with the length, each of my liners is done differently, but if the stitches are really close together it can cause your fleece to tear and fall apart more quickly. Thick fabrics can bunch up quite a bit when sewing so I use a "walking foot." Basically it is a sewing machine attachment used in place of a presser foot that allows thick fabrics to be pulled through more easily. I'm pretty good at getting the machine to jam without one. :eek:

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I'm really bad about not changing my needle until it either gets bent or snaps...:D You'll be able to tell when it's dull because it'll have trouble going through the fabric. Until then, you can keep using the same needle. Make sure you're using the sturdy ones for sewing denim.

The straight stitch is the best most of the time. I like to do pretty small stitches, but not so small that it's impossible to seam rip if you have to! It's just a matter of figuring out what stitch length works the best for what you're doing. I've never had a problem with fleece falling apart from small stitches.

I got a walking foot because I heard so much about it being better for sewing fleece, but I don't like using it at all! The regular presser foot works much better for me, I just have to gently push the top layer of fleece through so that it stays lined up. The walking foot makes it harder for me to work with thick layers (especially sewing with foam) but maybe it would work for you.

When my machine jams, it's almost always from not being threaded properly. I always have to check before I start sewing so that I don't end up with a giant knot of thread on my fabric.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I agree with @pigger123 to use a stitch that isn't too small so that its easy to seam-rip it out if needed! I've learned that lesson... I do like using a walking foot, it's definitely better on my machine for thicker projects.

I would also recommend to use a knot stitch at the beginning and end of each seam, if your machine has one. That will help eliminate loose threads sticking up that your piggies may try to eat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.