Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Cage Location Leading to Skittish Behavior

vietxmikey

Cavy Slave
I have done a few searches on the forum and haven't found a hit on this particular question or thought I might have. I have read about guinea pigs seeing something bigger than it or a shadow looming over them can cause them to develop negative behaviors.

So, my question is, does cage location lead to skittish behavior? I have my piggies on the floor and I'm considering to get the c&c stand from guineapigcages, in hopes maybe that will help them not get scared of me so easily. Of course, they are still eating whatever I'm feeding them, but it is the slightest movements that I do scare them away. I understand they are prey animals, but it sucks seeing run back to their hideys at the slightest noise.

Of course, it is open to anyone for discussion, but I'm really interested in the ones that keep their cages on the ground with flourishing piggies.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Hmmmm... have you considered trying to spend more time with your piggies, @vietxmikey? I don't want to seem rude, but maybe your pigs simply aren't very used to you. My pigs' C&C cage is on the floor and they don't seem to have any problems with me in the room. In fact, they run to the side of the cage to see me when I come in the room. Try spending more time with them, giving them treats, and generally making them trust you. It might help, good luck!

miniver

Cavy Slave
They like habit and routine, so I think they adjust to cage height. My regular cage is off the floor but I had them on the floor during my vacation at my mother's house. I was sleeping in a bed next to the cage looking down at them. They were skittish for the first couple of days. After that, they were popcorning, doing laps and wheeking for breakfast (which woke me up).

That said, they are prey animals. I think most of them are less skittish if you approach them from the side rather than from above.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, many people have found their pigs are less skittish if the cages are elevated rather than on the floor. Only half of you is looming over them as you approach the cage, rather than your whole height. It's also much easier for you to interact with the pigs if you can reach them without having to bend over the cage. I'd definitely encourage you to put the cage on grids or a table so that they're up higher. I think you'll find it makes a world of difference.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I definitely think that cage height will have an effect on some pigs. I have a stacked cage with 2 pairs of guinea pigs. In the bottom cage (20 inches off the ground) are my older girls who are about 2.5 years and in the top cage (40 inches off the ground) are young girls who are 8 months old. All 4 of my pigs are very friendly and well handled.

When I first started out my young girls were in the bottom cage but I soon realized that they were very skittish upon any one entering the room or moving by the cage. They were in the bottom for a couple months and it never improved so I decided to switch them around and it made all the difference. My older girls are very confident and it doesn't seem to make a difference which level they are on but my younger pair do much better in the top cage. The cage is at chest level and they will come running to the bars to see my face and will not run away when someone is by the cage.

Again, the height may not make a difference for some pigs but it definitely effects 2 out of my 4 girls. Here is just a picture of my cages so you can get an idea about the height differences.

Cage Location Leading to Skittish Behavior

vietxmikey

Cavy Slave
Hmmmm... have you considered trying to spend more time with your piggies, @vietxmikey? I don't want to seem rude, but maybe your pigs simply aren't very used to you. My pigs' C&C cage is on the floor and they don't seem to have any problems with me in the room. In fact, they run to the side of the cage to see me when I come in the room. Try spending more time with them, giving them treats, and generally making them trust you. It might help, good luck!

I try to spend as much time with them as possible unless they are REALLY running for their lives, then I try to leave them be. I have done lap time, hand feed, lap time + feed, and so forth. But, every time I put them back into the cage, their old behavior comes back.

They like habit and routine, so I think they adjust to cage height. My regular cage is off the floor but I had them on the floor during my vacation at my mother's house. I was sleeping in a bed next to the cage looking down at them. They were skittish for the first couple of days. After that, they were popcorning, doing laps and wheeking for breakfast (which woke me up).

That said, they are prey animals. I think most of them are less skittish if you approach them from the side rather than from above.
I'm not saying I have tried everything, but even approaching from the side will scare em off. I'm being patient though.

Actually, many people have found their pigs are less skittish if the cages are elevated rather than on the floor. Only half of you is looming over them as you approach the cage, rather than your whole height. It's also much easier for you to interact with the pigs if you can reach them without having to bend over the cage. I'd definitely encourage you to put the cage on grids or a table so that they're up higher. I think you'll find it makes a world of difference.
Ultimately, I am going to buy the c&c stand just to make my life easier for the reasons that you provided. I understand that this is not the solution to my skittish guinea pig problem, however, bending over is a pain!

I definitely think that cage height will have an effect on some pigs. I have a stacked cage with 2 pairs of guinea pigs. In the bottom cage (20 inches off the ground) are my older girls who are about 2.5 years and in the top cage (40 inches off the ground) are young girls who are 8 months old. All 4 of my pigs are very friendly and well handled.

When I first started out my young girls were in the bottom cage but I soon realized that they were very skittish upon any one entering the room or moving by the cage. They were in the bottom for a couple months and it never improved so I decided to switch them around and it made all the difference. My older girls are very confident and it doesn't seem to make a difference which level they are on but my younger pair do much better in the top cage. The cage is at chest level and they will come running to the bars to see my face and will not run away when someone is by the cage.

Again, the height may not make a difference for some pigs but it definitely effects 2 out of my 4 girls. Here is just a picture of my cages so you can get an idea about the height differences.

Thanks for the reply! First up is the stand and I might add an upper level for food, so the bottom area is just for pooping and running around. It'll probably make my life easier too!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have a double decker cage so one level is at floor level and the other raised. I have another cage at floor level. I don't think it matters that much. When you have a new guinea pig that's nervous, I think it's important not to startle them, so I try not to cast a shadow or alarm them when I approach their cage, no matter what level it's at. Once they're used to me, I don't think it matters. My newest guinea pig is at floor level. She comes running, even if I hover.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.