Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Let's see your cage Pictures please.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@Chritazy I brought the frog fleece from Joann and then peeweespiggypalace brought the lime green (apart from the one on the ramp and loft) from a shop near her as she made all the items for me. :)

She made two sets so I can swap them weekly, I'll post the other set next week when I use it! So exciting!! :)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Woops! Double post! Sorry

LitaRutherford

Cavy Slave
Quick question... does anyone just use fleece or do you all add litter boxes? I hate the wood shavings getting all over the fleece... if you do daily sweeps, can you go a week without a complete changing? Or do you need the litter box for that?

You shouldn't need a litter box. Most pigs don't use them reliably anyway. I know when I had a box with carefreash and their hay it helped a tiny bit, but it was more trouble then anything, especially when they started to fight over who got the box. I think most people use it for kitchen areas because it generally stays fresher longer since they tend to pee and poo the most where they eat/drink. But I've seen plenty of cages without any sort of litter area. Do long as the fleece isn't getting really damp or anything, I wouldn't worry.

PiggieFun

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your reply! I'll give just fleece a try first. I have the kitchen area upstairs and that is definitely where they go to the bathroom the most. I think I will just make extra fleece and blankets for up there so I can change them more often.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
The fleece just wicks the liquid away. You can just make extra absorbent paddings and change out those as needed.

southernmess

Cavy Slave
Our cage is not complete and may change completely as soon as we finish spending all our extra money on the new babies room :) We have been planning on upgrading our cage for a while now for our one little girl Sarafina...however...after having Sara for about two months (bought from a petstore) we woke up two days ago to two adorable little babies!! I insisted that my husband figure out a way of making the cage bigger immediately with things we had lying around the house...he got really creative and we now have a cage made from plastic stackable shelves and lattice work. The bottom is right at 7sq ft and the top is half that for now. Once we can buy more lattice we are going to make the top the same size as the bottom I believe. Like I said it is a work in progress but a lot better than the size we had for one piggie. We were planning on making a C&C cage or my hubby building one out of wood..not sure if we are going to try and make this one better with time and money or completely start over....who knows lol! Right now mom and babies are extremely happy with the new cage and run around nonstop :) Let's see your cage Pictures please.Let's see your cage Pictures please.Let's see your cage Pictures please.Let's see your cage Pictures please.Let's see your cage Pictures please.

Bruceb

Cavy Slave
Here is my current cage configuration for my 2 piggies
Let's see your cage Pictures please.Let's see your cage Pictures please.Let's see your cage Pictures please.Let's see your cage Pictures please.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Such wonderful cages!

@aemsv(broken link removed) I remember seeing your cage on Kassy'sFurryFriend's FB page! I thought it was well done then and still do now ;)(broken link removed)

crose136

Cavy Slave
Hey Figured I'd add my new cage - Piggy was stuck in a small petshop cage and I decided it was time to upgrade to a C&C cage - we couldn't get cubes so we used wire shelving and corflute (as its called here in Aus) so I guess here it is - Piggy is hiding in his red house - still working on setting up some toys and another hidey.
Let's see your cage Pictures please.
Sorry if the pictures are to big - still geting used to settings and stuff on this site.

emsillly

Cavy Slave
I'm not finding any of their "night" cage but if i do i will post

this is their "day" cage its like their little playground they can play in all day and their is lots of comfy things for them to lay in and lots of things for them to hide in. i dont think it looks as big in the picture as it does in real life. They have so much room to run around they dont know what to do!

Let's see your cage Pictures please.Let's see your cage Pictures please.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
George's cage after expanding from a 2x3 to a 2x6 and adding a fleece forest and new hay rack. He loves the extra room and actually runs laps and popcorns occasionally now. :)

Let's see your cage Pictures please.Let's see your cage Pictures please.

I love all of your cages and a lot of you have really awesome fleece!

loowho23

Cavy Slave
Wow everyone! all your cages are freaking amazing it makes me feel like mines pretty lame haha
I will post pictures tomorrow when mine is done and my boys come home :D:love:

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Oops I meant to put 2x5 not 2x6. lol

@loowho23 I feel like mine is pretty lame compared to most other people's cages, too. Some people get really creative while making their cages, I saw one photo of a wood carved castle cage and I was astonished at how awesome it was! haha

H@nn@h

Cavy Slave
Oscar, Cas and Milo's home

cheesypuffpea

Cavy Slave
Here's my new cage, all complete, and nearly 100% chew-proofed. lol

Your cage looks great! I'm planking to add a separate bedding area now :) how did you attach the loft area? Thanks, it doesn't look like its on grids !!

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Slave
Your cage looks great! I'm planking to add a separate bedding area now :) how did you attach the loft area? Thanks, it doesn't look like its on grids !!

Thanks! I used the new things called Wonder Bars from the GPCs store. The coroplast base just sits on top of two of them. It makes it really easy to clean under it, all you do is lift off the coroplast base (blue thing) and then I have access to everything underneath it.

loowho23

Cavy Slave
Oops I meant to put 2x5 not 2x6. lol

@loowho23 I feel like mine is pretty lame compared to most other people's cages, too. Some people get really creative while making their cages, I saw one photo of a wood carved castle cage and I was astonished at how awesome it was! haha
Holy Wow.. that is crazy! I wish I had that much time and money to invest in my piggies!

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
So since I had to separate my girls I decided to give the lone girl a bigger cage and expanded what was previously the loft. I haven't done the math but the top is equal to over a 2x4 cage and probably closer to a 2x5 at least in square feet.

So here is the cage. It is a 2x5 on the bottom with my previously 1.5x3ish loft expanded with an extra 1x3ish and 1x2 area. Penelope the lone pig had a 1x7ish area across the back to run and boy does she take advantage of it! I still need more tape to fix the blue coroplast as well as another support beam (Pardon the tv and the mess around the cage!)

Here is a closer picture of the newer areas. The "catwalk" is supported by some repurposed laminate flooring plank. And it is 3 bent grids and a piece of an old petstore cage to add leveling and support. And covered with some coroplast (The back has coroplast going up the wall 2 inches).The 1x2 area isn't ziptied to the main cage but is bungee corded to it (the blue area is bungeed as well). This makes it easy to take them off if I need to clean.

I kinda ran out of grids while making these changes to my cage, hence the need for more support beams! (I have more grids they are just being used for their intended purpose!)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Changed their loft from a 1.5 x 2 to a 2 x 2.6...

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
Well, my cage is not your typical C&C cage but we had to kind of improvise since it was constructed rather quickly over the holidays because I didn't want those poor piggies to be in that little cage more than they had to. All of the cages are so fancy and big! I definitely would like to go bigger and maybe add a second story. View attachment 39472

Well, I know now I should have not posted without reading the rules. How many sq. ft. is my cage? I came up with 7 sq. ft. which is not quite the requirement. I apologize if I posted when I shouldn't have. I do plan on making a bigger cage and I'm just waiting on the grids and stuff to arrive. We are definitely a pro animal family and we have 5 dogs and three cats and now two guinea pigs. The oldest of our bunch is two of the cats that we've had for 10 years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.