Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General my first guinea pig

eckokitten

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! Today I got my first ever guinea pig. He belonged to a friend who couldn't keep him. I named him Jellybean.
(broken link removed)

He was picked on at the petstore so his ear is missing a tear. I let him run around my room and he was being pretty calm but when I went to pick him up he was not having it lol.

I am wondering if they poop a ton or if he is just nervous because he has gone like crazy since I brought him home.

newpiggieowners

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! Today I got my first ever guinea pig. He belonged to a friend who couldn't keep him. I named him Jellybean.
(broken link removed)

I am wondering if they poop a ton or if he is just nervous because he has gone like crazy since I brought him home.

Ours poop a LOT, especially since there's two!

Congrats on your new piggie, he's so cute!

Fay

Cavy Slave
Welcome! He's so cute :eek:

Read through this website thoroughly for information on guinea pigs and their care requirements:

https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

Whatever you do, don't listen to what the petstore told you was good care or accurate information about guinea pigs because they are only out to sell you junk, don't care for their animals properly, and the staff isn't generally knowledgeable about proper care information regarding guinea pigs. The above link is your best starting point :) Good luck!

Oh and, yes they defecate a lot :eek:

80s_piggies

Cavy Slave
poop machines!!! Congrats on your new piggie!!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Congratulations, Jellybean is adorable! They do poo a ton, and beg for food, and then poop some more.

k_lanham

Cavy Gazer
I'm looking to find a pair for my fiancé and I but we would really like to try and get rescues. I live pa does anyone know of any near me?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@k_lanham, go to www.petfinder.com and look for guinea pigs. Put in "small and furry" for the type and "guinea pig" for the breed. All the rescues anywhere around you will come up.

Even if a rescue doesn't have a guinea pig listed, contact them anyway. Rescues are run by volunteers, and they don't always keep the websites up to date. Also, if the rescue is a little too far from you, ask anyhow. Rescues are usually just a group of foster homes, and they can be spread out over quite a wide area. There might be a pig closer to you than you think.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.