Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Brownie's ear

merryguinea

Cavy Slave
I was holding Brownie and suddenly noticed that her left ear is losing hair. It's pink, instead of her brown fur. Her cage mate is also losing hair, posted in a separate post.

I'm worried. Should I treat for mites? Scurvy(which I'm already working on)? Fungal?

First pic last weds. Second pic today.
Brownie's ear

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Treat for a fungus with one of the creams listed at https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html. You can find them at any pharmacy. Apply with a q-tip and rub in well, twice a day. Continue treatment even after the hair starts to regrow -- fungus can be hard to get rid of.

Why do you think they have scurvy?

merryguinea

Cavy Slave
Thank you!! I thought maybe Goldie did because if her tiny, but I'm trying to make sure they have enough vitamin c, anyway.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The symptoms of scurvy are limb weakness, dragging the back legs, etc. Size has absolutely nothing to do with it.

merryguinea

Cavy Slave
*tummy. My phone hates me. Well, definitely not scurvy then! So glad for this forum!

merryguinea

Cavy Slave
She was not wanting to hold still, but it seems the fungus has spread. I started rubbing the cream in there, too, today. It's a bald patch be l behind her ear that has the fungus. I know they tend to have less hair there, but it's completely bald and different than behind her other ear. She was very wiggly, so this was the best pic I could get for now. Been using Clotrimazole. I'll pick up some Miconazole cream, in case I to switch. How long should I give the current one before trying the other one?
Brownie's ear

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How often are you applying the cream? It should be done twice a day and rubbed in well. And how long have you been using it behind the ear?

merryguinea

Cavy Slave
I didn't read carefully enough and have only been applying once a day. Starting today, I'll do it twice. I've been rubbing on, not sure if it's rubbed in enough, I'll do better.

merryguinea

Cavy Slave
My poor Brownie!! When we got up today, she has a sore and a couple scabs next to it! I've been treating for fungus with Clotrimazole. I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow, the Dr who has training with guinea pigs isn't in those.

It doesn't look like a bite. I'm checking their cage for anything that duly have scratched her.
Does this look like fungus? Or a scratch?Brownie's ear

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Hmm that's a hard one, are they scratching a lot? To me I'm wondering if its not Mites as it doesn't seem to be getting better with the cream, even if you did it only once a day there should be a slow down of the fungus at least.

Piggies98

Cavy Gazer
Honestly your piggies ear looks ok to me. It doesn't look like anything is wrong with her. This is normal

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Honestly your piggies ear looks ok to me. It doesn't look like anything is wrong with her. This is normal

Maybe in the original photo, but the following photos (and the most recent) are definitely not normal.

merryguinea

Cavy Slave
Her hair has started growing back so it was fungus, but this new thing, I'm not sure.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Well my guess hun would be mites, a fight, its not completely free of the fungal or something else. Let us know how the visit went.

Piggies98

Cavy Gazer
Maybe in the original photo, but the following photos (and the most recent) are definitely not normal.
My god I didn't not even see the other pictures. That looks very sore the poor little thing but my Guinea pigs ears haven't got no fur on and they're okay :)

merryguinea

Cavy Slave
I know, I feel so bad her. She seemed likes it hurt. I was just trying to gently move the fur to a picture and was not happy

Piggies98

Cavy Gazer
I know, I feel so bad her. She seemed likes it hurt. I was just trying to gently move the fur to a picture and was not happy
Ah no the poor little thing. I think maybe a trip to the vets about that on her back as that looks bad :/ Poor thing X

merryguinea

Cavy Slave
It seems to have been a scrape. I found a rough spot on the coroplast hay rack and removed immediately. By the next day, it looked much better and had scabbed. Within a day or two after, the scab was gone and she's healed completely. The vet said to let her know of it got infected, i'm glad it didn't.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.