Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Exercise What can I do to exercise my pigs?

Ccualumni

Cavy Slave
I have two pigs and one will walk around the house if we let him. The other pig, just freezes until he can run for the couch, gets under there and will not move.

We we had a 2nd level in our cage, but took it out. Should we add it back?

i saw something that said we can get a pvc pipe for them to run through. What size should I get and how long? Will they go through it?

what else can I do to get the some exercise?

thanks

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
I have two pigs and one will walk around the house if we let him. The other pig, just freezes until he can run for the couch, gets under there and will not move.

We we had a 2nd level in our cage, but took it out. Should we add it back?

i saw something that said we can get a pvc pipe for them to run through. What size should I get and how long? Will they go through it?

what else can I do to get the some exercise?

thanks

My first question is why are you so concerned about them getting exercise? How big is their cage?

Unless they really seemed to enjoy the second level, I wouldn't bother adding it back. It really doesn't add any zoomy space for them and unless your loft is offset, the ramp actually takes away space.

For floor time you can add lots of tunnels for the more skiddish piggy to run through. My one girl hates being exposed in the open but delights in zipping through a long arrangement of tunnels. For my tunnels I take grids, bend them and throw a small piece of fleece on top of.

If you use PVC pipe make sure you get pieces that are bigger (width wise) than your guinea pigs. I would stick to pieces that are shorter in length just so they have plenty of air flow.

Ccualumni

Cavy Slave
Their cage is c&c and is 2’ x 5’, but I was worried they were not getting enough exercise.

Thanks

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Oh okay, that is a decent size for two boars. To encourage my three to zoom around the cage more I have only tunnels/forests as hideouts. One they can make laps without running into anything and two it prevents squabbles.

I still do floor time with tunnels but for the most part they make laps more in the cage then outside it.

I hope the tunnels work out for you and your skiddish boy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.