Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General New piggies

mommy4kids

Cavy Slave
We are getting two new piggies we are adopting from off craigslist. We are getting a 3.5 ft cage. I have been told that will be to small. I know that we will be getting fleece bedding and hay and toys. I dont know much about what to expect from them.

The person we are getting them from adopted them out to some one not even a week ago and they got returned. He didnt really say why. He told me they are under a year and that they are cuddly but will bite if scared.

Does anyone have any tips for me before they come. I am going to go to petco tomorrow and get a water bowl and food dish just to be safe because he didnt say they are coming with those things.

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
Don't get a wayer bowl.Get a water bottle.Also, read stuff on here and ask questions.

mommy4kids

Cavy Slave
I dont know why I put bowl I ment bottle. I have had piggies before. It was just 7 years ago and we had a to small cage and a ball. I now know a little bit better. We need a much larger cage than they sell at petsmart and no ball. I am looking on here and other websites to get as much info as possible before we bring them home tomorrow. We have 2 hamsters, a cat, a dog, and 3 whites tree frogs. I found out with the frogs the store didnt know what they were talking about so I started finding forums to help me.

Cavylier

Cavy Slave
They will be frightened at first and hide all the time, but if you give them their space and slowly get them used to you (letting them simply sniff your hand at first in the cage, hand-feeding a few veggies, stroking them in the cage without picking them up, etc.) they will soon get over their paranoia and become more cuddly.
Piggies need some time to adjust, so take it slow and start picking them up and cuddling them only once they are a little more comfortable in their new home. Other than that, you seem to be doing great with all the supplies! Congratulations on your new piggies!:)

mommy4kids

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I cant wait. I have seen all the cages on here have towels, did you guys have to potty train your piggies to go in the litter boxes? It looks like it might be easier to clean.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Are you going to make them a bigger cage? Do you know how old the pigs are?

Read all you can here, and also read the Care Guide at www.guinealynx.info . Your new pigs will likely be quiet and scared for awhile until they get used to the sounds and smells of your house.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
I'd also suggest not buying anything from petco or any other pet selling store. By doing this you are funding the over breeding of guinea pigs and bad treatment of them.

delekatala

Cavy Slave
I found it was cheaper to go to walmart or stop and shop, then the pet store. My stop and shop sells bottles for 3 bucks, versus 8 at the pet store for the same size. And for a pellet dish I went to the dollar store for the cheapo cat dishes. two sides gives both piggies more room to eat, and they can't tip those dishes.

Also... I wanna see pictures!

mommy4kids

Cavy Slave
I will look at walmart and the dollar store since they will be cheaper. I have to buy somethings for our other animals at places like petco and petsmart. I cant get crickets just anywhere. We use to have a mom and pop petstore but we moved and that is no longer an option. If it was I would go there. I am not a fan of petco by any means. They scarred my 5 year old for life with thier treatment of thier hermit crabs.

Thumper27

Cavy Slave
I understand you have to go there for somethings, but the hay for the most part is low quality, as are the pellets. And PLAIN pellets, nothing with anything other then pellets in it. If you have a feed store close you might get some there. Or if you new a local farmer, or you could order online either oxbow, or KM's Hayloft, I personally would go with KM's if I were ordering online. Also its not exactly towels, it's fleece, you can search the site for that. Also be sure to sex them, yourself. If you have questions post pics. Make sure to look at the feeding thing, because that's been ever helpful for me. Um, I've probably already said too much lol. Don't worry you'll do great, just ask anything you need to know.

mommy4kids

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the advice. I dont think we have a feed store near us but I need to check that. I looked up the fleece already that really interested me as they will be in our classroom and I dont want a huge mess. Plus with 4 kids, dog, cat, 2 hamsters, 3 frogs and 2 guinea pigs I like easier clean up.

TigerLily

Cavy Slave
And for a pellet dish I went to the dollar store for the cheapo cat dishes

Me too!lol I got cute small kitty dishes with a cute print on them. Cute picture dishes for a dollar vs 5 and up at a typical store, especially if you want a print on them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.