Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage New Apartment-Cage Location?

SesshyBooBoo

Cavy Slave
My boyfriend and I just moved to a new apartment with our two boars. We are trying to find the ideal location for them but are having a bit of trouble. We want to prevent drafts and any risk that they could get a URI.
Right now we have them against a wall but it is about 7 feet away from a window that is pointing directly at the cage, its getting pretty cold outside so I worry about drafts or cold air hitting the cage. When it gets dark out we close the blinds to retain some heat, we also try to keep the apartment between 68-72 degrees, however sometimes during the night it drops to about 66. There is a heating vent near them on the ceiling but we have the vents pointed away from their cage. The first two images are of that location.
The other location where we could put them is the "office" room. It has 3 windows (two across the room from where they'd be about 10-11 feet away) and two of the four walls go directly outside, in my opinion it runs slightly colder in there but it has plenty of sunlight whereas the other location does not. There are two heating vents but they blow directly past the cage.The fourth picture is of that location (we have the lights of currently but during the day it gets lots of sunlight) New Apartment-Cage Location?New Apartment-Cage Location?New Apartment-Cage Location?New Apartment-Cage Location?
The only other place I could thin to put them would be behind our couch but that is near the TV (we tried to move the TV but the only place for a hook up is where we have it). This spot is not near any windows but would not get a good amount of sunlight and there are no heating vents near this location either.

Any input would be very helpful!

Also, we have high ceilings so I'm not sure if that would make the apartment more difficult to heat? We have electric heat. We needed to move cause we outgrew our other place. I hope the piggies will learn to love it here!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Seven feet from a closed window is just fine. Sixty-six degrees is just fine, unless you've got skinny pigs.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
Seven feet from a closed window is just fine. Sixty-six degrees is just fine, unless you've got skinny pigs.

I have my cage right by a window. Should I test how cold it gets? We keep our house warn, usually 72 but I'm sure this winter it would colder right by the window. If I place a thermometer on/near the cage, what temperature would I need to be looking to avoid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You just want to make sure there are no leaky drafts that could make the pigs be chilled. We keep our house at about 65, and the pigs are fine. If it's cooler by the window, you could throw a blanket over the end of the cage.

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
I also bought curtains that are supposed to help keep the chill out. I'm also going to get the plastic shrink wrap and do the windows to also help with the chill. I'm doing all that I can to help keep my heating costs down this winter.

SesshyBooBoo

Cavy Slave
Thank you! Over by the window is a couple degrees cooler than the rest of the house but I throw a blanket over that part of their cage at night to retain the heat.

this is unrelated but my vet has told me to stop giving my pigs veggies until their stools normalize (still soft back and forth). They've been off veggies for about a month. Getting unlimited hay, pellets, fresh water and vitamin C Oxbow tablets once a day. Should I worry about them becoming malnourished?? Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No. The pellets have fairly complete nutrition, as does the hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.