Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Cyndaquil just lost her sister, how can I tell if she needs a new friend?

Rybo5000

Cavy Slave
Swinub passed away this weekend unfortunately.

Cyndaquil (her sister who is still with us) seems perfectly fine, she is a little less active but that's to be expected considering there's no-one to be active with. She seems to be eating and drinking normally which is great.

We did briefly discuss the idea of getting a new guinea pig, personally I don't feel ready yet as I don't want to simply replace Swinub as if she weren't special.

Anyway, what signs should I look out for to see if Cyndaquil is lonely? How can I tell if she needs a friend? Based on her current behaviour I think she may even be happy being a solo guinea pig but I'm no expert.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I think most people advise waiting a week (?) before you introduce a new pig to one that's just lost a cage mate. Obviously you should wait until you're feeling ready, but I would advise not leaving it too long because your remaining pig could become depressed and apathetic/lethargic from being alone. Bear in mind pigs are herd animals, so usually when a member of the herd passed, they'd still have a buddy to comfort them so to speak. It's going to be a difficult balance between when you're ready, and when Cyndaquil is, but don't leave her alone too long.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for your loss. How old was Swinub and do you know what the cause of death was? If you suspect illness, I'd have Cyndaquil checked by a vet to rule out an illness that she might have caught. The fact that she's moving around less could mean she's lonely or that she's beginning to show sign of illness. They're prey animals so they try and hide it when they're sick. I love their names. Two of mine are named Pichu and Ditto. I've also had Pikachu and Diglett but they've passed.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you're considering the pig's feelings, I wouldn't wait at all. And I never heard of anyone recommending that you wait a week. Pigs are herd animals, and they do better with another guinea pig around. Besides, unless you get one from a reputable rescue or a private owner that you trust, you're going to need to quarantine for three weeks anyway. And @pinky makes a good point about making sure that your remaining pig isn't ill before adding a new one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.