Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pigsitting A friend asked me to pigsit her loner boar for a week....

equinox96

Cavy Slave
I have 2 boars and now after reading a bit on this forum, I see that it would be stressful for all involved if I let them socialize while I'm pigsitting.

What I haven't found is more information?!?

He is now in a 1x3 C&C (used to be in a 2x3), he is over 3 yrs old, he eats more alfalfa than hay since her husband is allergic to hay. I know he eats some veggies but we haven't discussed his eating habits. I'm trying to not be judgmental towards her care habits but I find it difficult....

I told her that I have lots of grids left over and lots of extra liners (2x4) so I could make him a temporary floor cage so she doesn't have to bring his cage here with all his stuff but now I'm wondering if even that is a good idea? Should she bring me everything he has at home?

Mine get floor time every evening from 6ish to 10:30ish and from Friday evening till Sunday evening, all through the weekend. Do I give hers floor time if he isn't used to it?

Should they be housed close by or in different rooms?

Do I continue giving him alfalfa and no hay even if it's not good for older pigs?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
First, I'd suggest to her that she try something other than timothy hay. Her pig needs a grass hay to grind down his teeth, and alfalfa is legume, like peas. It's not grass at all. And, it's got the higher calcium. But I'd feed him whatever he's used to.

You can make him a temporary cage, and it can be anywhere you want it to be. If he's not used to floor time, I wouldn't try him on it.

equinox96

Cavy Slave
Thank you @bpatters for the information.

As for the hay, I have some Oxbow orchard grass, I'll give my friend some so she can try it at home with her pig. I have explained to her that alfalfa is for growing babies since it's high in calcium and can actually cause kidney stones in older pigs... but alas...

So it's ok for him to see, smell and hear my pigs?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It depends on the pigs. I pigsat several times for a friend who has boars and I have sows. They've been in the same room with no problems at all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.