Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting New Guinea Pig!

CCandPud

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone :) so recently one of my friends got three guinea pigs. She's had them for about a month and there doing well but I'm absolutely in love with them. I decided I wanted to get all of the things needed before hand rather then get the pig first.

So far I have nail clippers, oxbow pellets, kaytee Timothy hay, a few chew toys which include a willow ball and apple sticks, a food bowl, a water thingy, hanging chews, Timothy apple biscuit treats, money for fresh veggies, and a brush. I figured that was a good starting point :3 (I'm also planning on using fleece bedding)

What I'm stuck on is the cage :/ I know pet store cages are no good but I really don't like the way a C&C cage looks :/ and I've had grids like that in storage containers... They don't stay together very well :/ what are some other options? I've seen cages made out of book shelves and stuff but they've always looked to small :/ no offense to anyone that had them I also have a dog that sleeps in my bed every night :/ I don't think C&C grids would protect the piggies if he got I'm there while I was at school. I don't think my dog would attack them but I would rather be safe then sorry. He's a good dog :)

(Please ignore the sub topic thing :/ I wasn't able to change it)

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
hmmmm, Well you can always make a custom wooden cage out of wood and plexiglass if you are handy and have the money. and if you need a lid you could put it on hinges

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can make a cage from closet shelves.
(broken link removed)

With the lid open.
(broken link removed)

See this gallery for more ideas.
(broken link removed)

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
Just to touch on your point about them not staying together well... that's why most people put them together with zipties, instead of using the clips that they come with :)

But your imagination is the limit with guinea pig housing, to be honest.
I was going to link you to the link that lissie gave you, but she beat me to it! ;)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
You can make C&C Cages very sturdy by using plastic ties as well as the connectors.

How big is your dog? Keep your cage up high on a stand or table so the dog can't get to it.

CCandPud

Cavy Slave
hmmmm, Well you can always make a custom wooden cage out of wood and plexiglass if you are handy and have the money. and if you need a lid you could put it on hinges

I thought about doing that but I'm not really sure what I'd need. Like something would have to cover the wood or they'd be able to chew it. Linoleum maybe? But that's super heavy :/ how large would it have to be? All the measurements I've found online use the grids >_<

CCandPud

Cavy Slave
You can make a cage from closet shelves.
(broken link removed)

With the lid open.
(broken link removed)

See this gallery for more ideas.
(broken link removed)

Will guinea pigs use tunnels? I've read some blogs where they don't like ramps very much. And that's a really nice cage :3 do guinea pigs get territorial over levels?

CCandPud

Cavy Slave
Just to touch on your point about them not staying together well... that's why most people put them together with zipties, instead of using the clips that they come with :)

But your imagination is the limit with guinea pig housing, to be honest.
I was going to link you to the link that lissie gave you, but she beat me to it! ;)

Zip ties? That really works? When I imagine zip ties I think of how much they bend wouldn't the cage fall in on itself?

CCandPud

Cavy Slave
You can make C&C Cages very sturdy by using plastic ties as well as the connectors.

How big is your dog? Keep your cage up high on a stand or table so the dog can't get to it.

He's a medium sized dog and the only reason I worry at all is because whenever we go into petco with him we can't walk buy any of the rodent cages. He will jump up so he's standing and watch them run around in the cages and start barking. His tails wagging and I don't think he wants to hurt him but he'll watch them for hours xD

I have a hamster kiwi but he's in a 20 long gallon fish tank ontop of my dresser. I don't think my dog CC even knows he's there xD

lissie

Cavy Slave
I thought about doing that but I'm not really sure what I'd need. Like something would have to cover the wood or they'd be able to chew it. Linoleum maybe? But that's super heavy :/ how large would it have to be? All the measurements I've found online use the grids >_<

13 sq.ft for 3 pigs.
There's a size chart here that's easier to read.
https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/about-candccages

pinky

Cavy Slave
Zip ties? That really works? When I imagine zip ties I think of how much they bend wouldn't the cage fall in on itself?

Use the 75 lb strength zip ties. They're about 8" long. I have a double decker 2x5 C&C cage made with grids and held together with only zip ties. My husband fell off a ladder and onto the cage one time and it held his weight so I'm sure it could withstand the weight of your dog.

CCandPud

Cavy Slave
Use the 75 lb strength zip ties. They're about 8" long. I have a double decker 2x5 C&C cage made with grids and held together with only zip ties. My husband fell off a ladder and onto the cage one time and it held his weight so I'm sure it could withstand the weight of your dog.

Oh jeez :/ that must have been scary when he fell I hope he's alright xD I didn't know they made zip ties that strong :3 thank you for the info ^_^ I might try a C&C cage while I'm building the other ^_^ I wanna get my piggies as soon as I can! ^_^

lissie

Cavy Slave
Will guinea pigs use tunnels? I've read some blogs where they don't like ramps very much. And that's a really nice cage :3 do guinea pigs get territorial over levels?

Some don't like ramps, but most guinea pigs will use tunnels.
That cage is not mine, it belongs to our admin, bpatters. I believe she has changed to a different type of ramp.

CCandPud

Cavy Slave
Some don't like ramps, but most guinea pigs will use tunnels.
That cage is not mine, it belongs to our admin, bpatters. I believe she has changed to a different type of ramp.

My imagination is going wild at the moment xD I think I have a good idea on how I want to build my cage :) is there anything else I need for my pigs? (From the list of stuff I've gotten already)

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
It sounds like you're all set! :)

Just remember, when you get treats or pellets, nothing with nuts or seeds or anything in it, and NO yogurt drops. They are really bad for piggies. Also, some hideys would be good to have, with two entrances so no pig will get trapped by their cagemate.

Good luck, and keep us updated! :D

Svenandolaf

Cavy Slave
Well, a water bottle or 2 but you probably already know that, you seem well prepared best wishes on finding your new piggy friends!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.