Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Washing fleece!

MariKay

Cavy Slave
Hey all, in the future I'm planning to make my own fleece liners. The way I have it planned, it will be a layer of fleece on top, Double layer of Uhaul in the middle, and a layer of fleece underneath. For all the years I've had small animals, I've only ever used paper/aspen bedding and so my mother is against the idea of washing fleece.
She has a few questions[her words not mine]:
-Is it really worth running a whole washing cycle for an hour just for one liner?
-Wouldn't it be easier to just wash it by hand?[note: I don't think she knows how big my future 2x3 C&C cage is going to be...]
-Why vinegar?
-Wouldn't all the pee from the fleece soil my washing machine and make my regular clothes unsanitary and smell like pig pee?

Thank you in advance, any commentary would be greatly appreciated as I've already calculated costs and measurements for making the liners. :)

Rhyue

Cavy Slave
1) I'd recommend if you could to make a 2x4 instead of a 2x3 since thats a better size for 2 piggies and they aught to be keep as a pair at least.
I also find it fine to simply double layer the fleece on top of the uhaul so that the the fleece can wick away the pee. Just make sure to shake out and sweep (try to find a animal hair remover brush for furniture like stuff) off debris from your fabric before washing.

To answer:
1/2 Its worth while, though I usually wash two sets at a time because I have two cages and I may switch out my fleece before my uhaul (another reason to have the fleece on top-easier to remove just that and replace) so I sometimes wash 4 fleece at a time. They're too large to really handle with handwashing and the uhaul absorbs a lot so it needs the heavier machine wash.

3 Vinegar is an acid and neutralizes the amonia in the urine. It can also help break up calcium deposits (feeding too much calcium) or other stiff areas and acts as a de-ordorizer since you shouldn't be using a perfumed laundry soap on the pig blankets since it may cause respiratory irritation or URIs.

4 If your washing machine is working this isn't an issue. Do you worry about all your body grease and dirty underwear going through the wash and then soiling you next load? No because the machine, if working properly, will rinse itself out. There may be a bit of a pig smell at first, especially if hot out of the drier but it will go away shortly. If you're really paranoid wash a load of something less important following the pig load (such as towels) and any scent/residual should be long gone.

Sabrina Clayton

Cavy Slave
You'd be surprised how much room a couple layers of fleece and UHaul pad can take up in your washer! I don't think you'd be wasting a cycle by setting the water height to low. It'd be about the same as doing a small load of clothing. I think Rhyue pretty much covered everything else!

MariKay

Cavy Slave
Thank you all. :) I haven't talked to her yet, b ut what would the proper setting be for preparing the fleece as well as washing it? warm/cold, hot/cold, etc?

Sabrina Clayton

Cavy Slave
I'd wash it at least 3 times to help with the fleece's absorption, and make sure you do that before cutting it to whatever lengths you need, as it'll shrink a little. I always wash mine in hot water :)

Oh, and the regular cycle is fine. Any type of cuddle cup or snuggle sack you'll want to use the gentle cycle, but just fleece seems to fare fine n the regular cycle.

MariKay

Cavy Slave
Success! Convinced my mom its a cheaper option by using an online cost calculator. Can't wait to make liners. :)

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I also find it fine to simply double layer the fleece on top of the uhaul so that the the fleece can wick away the pee.

Using a double layer of fleece on top of UHaul pads will cause issues with wicking. The fleece will absorb the moisture more and you will have stinky bedding within days.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.