Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Mattress Pad Washable Underpads for Fleece liners?

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
I have been looking at several threads but have not seen this product being mentioned as a possible liner for fleece cages...I saw some sales on ebay for "Washable Underpad 34x34 Bed Protector Diaper Hospital Waterproof"....anyone ever use these in a GP cage as a possible layer under the fleece? I am wondering if this could replace the layer of towel and puppy pad.

I am trying a do-it-yourself version of the fleece flippers too...my C&C cage came with a couple scrap pieces of coroplast so I decided to make a fleece flipper with it. I don't sew so I simply wrapped it with a puppy pad, towel and fleece...curious to see how well it holds up in terms of smell...not sure if I can really "flip" it to use both sides...but we will see. Thought about trying it again using a pre-made standard fleece pillow case to help hold everything together and in place.

I also saw some bulk sales on ebay for adult disposable potty pads which tend to be much larger and probably more absorbant. Just seeing what other options folks have used other than uhaul or crib pads. ....thanks!

Well have you tried Uhaul pads? Those are generally considered choice. I use the underpads actually, like the ones they use in beds in the hospital under my fleece occasionally and really like them.

Haven't been able to find them...tried Lowes, Walmart, Hancock Fabrics, Ollies...there is a Uhaul rental place I might call and ask them. Are they pretty absorbant as others say and easy to wash? I have read some folks were frustrated with shrinkage or difficulty in getting them to dry quickly.

When you used the underpads did they hold up well in the wash, or did they get soaked and start to smell quickly? Also, when you used those did you also add any other padding or just that with the fleece?

Thanks @aspecht!

I have washed mine four times, so IDK! I handwashed it last time. Not much shrinkage here honestly, and they dry the same as a towel. Definitely call the Uhaul store, sometimes they are out of stock. My cage is just Uhaul pad under fleece. When you cut the Uhaul pad to fit the cage, leave an extra couple inches to allow for shrinkage. I hang dry mine, and they dry overnight.

I used the Inspire washable absorbent underpad when I made my fleece pee pads and kitchen liners and so far they've worked great. I've had them almost 3 months. I change them once a week and wash/dry them. So far no problems with odor or shrinkage. I use Purex no scent laundry detergent and add vinegar to the wash also. I got the 30x34 sized pad at Wal-Mart for just under $10. I know you can find larger sizes online too. They did have a chemical smell to them at first but i washed/dried them a couple of times and the smell was gone. I like these pads because you don't have to use puppy pads underneath because they are waterproof too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.