Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Making my move less stressful for my piggies.

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! So, in 4 weeks I'm making a big move to another state 12 hrs away. I'm excited as I am always up for an adventure but I don't want my piggies to get stressed out. I'm not really worried about traveling with them since they will be transported in their store bought cages with everything they need. My concern is the temporary living situation once we get there. We will be staying somewhere for about 2 months while we set up our permanent living situation and during that time I'm not able to set up my c&c cage. My piggies will have to stay in their store cages. I have 3 bonded females and 2 cages. So, one is going to have to be alone. :-( I was think of alternating who's going to be alone so none of them get too lonely. I can set up their playpen for their exercise as much as possible. I was thinking of leaving them in there overnight together, but I'm not completely sure yet. I'll have to see how things are once I get there. The reason I can set up the playpen and not the c&c cage is bc the playpen is collapsible and I can store it when needed. Plus, it's also easier for when we make our permanent move. Will this arrangement effect their bonding? They really get along well right now. They never had any problems, not even during introductions. Also, this is going to be a lot of change, then more change again after we settle into our permanent home. I know piggies get stressed out easily but will they be okay? Anything I should watch out for? Any tips on how to keep them as calm as possible and keep them bonded to each other?

Thanks!

dongtian

Cavy Slave
Only relevant to part of your question, but... I'm still new to guinea pigs too, but soon after I got my pair, I moved back from my family's home to my own apartment. At this point, I only had the tiny store cage (they were about two and four months respectively, so still tiny). To make up for the space, I barricaded off a section of my room so they'd have access to more play area as well as their cage. For the first few days, they were a bit scared to come out, but they do this every time we go somewhere "new". It was two or three months before I set up a C&C cage for them, and tha confused them too. In other words, I think it'd be fine if you left their cages in the playpen, and shut them in their cages when needed?

pinky

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't separate one of them. You can make a temporary C & C cage with your grids and use a shower curtain under it. If you connect them with zip ties, you can fold it up if you need to. If you separate them, you might have a hard time reintroducing them.

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
Only relevant to part of your question, but... I'm still new to guinea pigs too, but soon after I got my pair, I moved back from my family's home to my own apartment. At this point, I only had the tiny store cage (they were about two and four months respectively, so still tiny). To make up for the space, I barricaded off a section of my room so they'd have access to more play area as well as their cage. For the first few days, they were a bit scared to come out, but they do this every time we go somewhere "new". It was two or three months before I set up a C&C cage for them, and tha confused them too. In other words, I think it'd be fine if you left their cages in the playpen, and shut them in their cages when needed?

Yea, I thought about setting something like that up bc it still would be portable when needed. The problem is I have small kids that I don't like to have free access to the pigs like that. Open gated area on the floor would be too easy for them to climb in and "play" with the piggies. That's why I was going to let them run in the pen at night. I can only really let the piggies in the pen when I am sitting right there. Or maybe I can do that in a room with the door closed, that's a possibility.

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't separate one of them. You can make a temporary C & C cage with your grids and use a shower curtain under it. If you connect them with zip ties, you can fold it up if you need to. If you separate them, you might have a hard time reintroducing them.
That's what my play pen is, grids zip tied together. I would need a solid foundation so the cage can be on a table, so the little kids don't climb in, lol. Plus, when the cage doesn't have sides the piggies kick their poo out everywhere. :-( My pig table is a folding table so maybe I can make a smaller c&c temporarily. Is it really bad to separate them even if they would be together at times everyday?

pinky

Cavy Slave
That's what my play pen is, grids zip tied together. I would need a solid foundation so the cage can be on a table, so the little kids don't climb in, lol. Plus, when the cage doesn't have sides the piggies kick their poo out everywhere. :-( My pig table is a folding table so maybe I can make a smaller c&c temporarily. Is it really bad to separate them even if they would be together at times everyday?
It would be stressful for them to alternate them in two cages. How old are your kids? Can you keep the guinea pigs in your bedroom where they won't be able to get to them?

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
It would be stressful for them to alternate them in two cages. How old are your kids? Can you keep the guinea pigs in your bedroom where they won't be able to get to them?
I have a 2 yr old & 5 yr old. Idk if I'll be able to set up a cage. I will if I can but I have to plan for if I can't.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Your 5 year old is old enough to understand not to touch. I know it's hard with a two year old but if you have the cage up on a table with no chairs around it, you should be fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.