Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Mounting Guinea Pigs Female mounting

Guineanewbe

Cavy Slave
So we have 2 guinea pigs. One is the mom and the other is the baby she had about a month ago. We have looked multiple times and believe the baby is a female or a very small male :). Today my girls came home from school and found the baby mounting the mama. They said the baby was circling the mom then would try to mount her. They said the mom did the same to the baby once. When we separated them they would both start to cry. Not sure if we sexted them wrong or if something else is happening. Thanks for the help.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
If you thought the baby was male, it shouldn't have been kept with the mother. The mother may (and probably is) pregnant again, if the pup is male.

Look at https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm to determine what sex your pup is. If the baby is female, it needs reintroducing to the mother on neutral grounds since they've been separated, don't just put them back in the same cage right away. If it's a male, you can a) wait, and get him neutered, b)find him a male friend, and the mother a female friend, or c)put one up for adoption and get a friend of the same sex for the remaining pig.

Males will mount males, females will mount females. It's dominance behaviour and it's completely normal.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A four-week old male can impregnate a female. Separate them immediately until you figure out whether the baby is male or female. See https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html and www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm for some pictures. It doesn't matter if they cry -- they'll get over it.

Mounting can be a sexual behavior or a dominance behavior, or both. If the baby is male, it's likely sexual. For the sow and a possible female baby, it's undoubtedly dominance.

GPbreeder

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I say just let them breed it's neat to have the babies and there fun to more the better

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
I say just let them breed it's neat to have the babies and there fun to more the better

Although you may be purposely trolling the thread, I will state it anyways; this website does not encourage the deliberate of guinea pigs :).

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@GPbreeder, do you understand that the breeding of guinea pigs results in the death of sows, and can also result in the death of pups? And that it adds to the ever growing populous of guinea pigs in rescues needing homes? You should be warned that this forum is anti-breeding and making statements like that are likely not going to be received well by most users.

ETA - @labgirl5 I had a similar thought too. But it's always worth giving out the information just in case eh :)

Guineanewbe

Cavy Slave
We are 99.9% sure they are both girls. We actually used that link numerous times when we were checking the sex of the 4 babies. I was joking about the "small male". Anywho, it must be a dominance thing then. We were surprised they did that. We just figured the mom would be dominant but her baby is pretty feisty. Thanks for the help.

pgnyc

Cavy Slave
We are 99.9% sure they are both girls. We actually used that link numerous times when we were checking the sex of the 4 babies. I was joking about the "small male". Anywho, it must be a dominance thing then. We were surprised they did that. We just figured the mom would be dominant but her baby is pretty feisty. Thanks for the help.

Hi, i have 3 girls , one is {was} the baby. 2 of them are 1 year and 3 month old , the baby is 1 year old.
Every 3 weeks they are in heat but not at the same time, 3/4 days apart.
the one in heat move is back from side to side and make a noise at the same time and try to mount the others.
they do that for 2/3 days.
it's very funny to watch.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.