Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet My Piggies Are Picky!

lanespiggies

Cavy Slave
So I have two guinea pig males, Yogi and Bear who are one year and two months old. I have been feeding them the same stuff since I got them, and it seems that was a huge mistake (I am a first time owner). Today I found calcium build up in their cage and learned they are apparently getting too much calcium? I will attach the picture of the build up I found below, I’ve never seen anything like that before!. Anyway, I’ve tried several times to change their diet but they refuse to eat anything other than lettuce and carrots. Anything else and they lift their noses up and walk away! I try to add a little of the new veggie into their regular but they pick out the new stuff and toss it to the side! I don’t know what else to do for them :( I don’t want them to get bladder stones! This was what I found in their cage: My Piggies Are Picky!

First of all Welcome to the forums!:D

Secondly are they only eating lettuce and carrots solely or are you I hope feeding them quality pellets (such as OXBOW brand) and unlimited Timothy or orchard grass hay too? Pigs can definitely be picky, but if they are hungry enough (unless they are sick) they will eventually eat what’s available.

Last edited:
Totally agree with @bpatters. That's boar glue, and when it dries it will first go to a rubbery consistency and then dry rock hard, almost like crazy glue.

Thanks for the warm welcome! They do indeed get hay, pellets, and their select favorite veggies. And boar glue definitely makes more sense. Thanks you guys!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.