Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Corner cages

Rach84

Cavy Slave
I am thinking of changing my cage into a corner cage an wanted to see people's pictures please! Or cage plans! At the moment I have 2 boys in a 3x3 an 1 in a 2x3 but was hoping I could extend his to maybe get him a new cage mate! :) my cage is raised on a table my dad made so my only concern is being able to reach over for cleaning!
All help welcomed!! :) xxxx

So I've been tryin to make a cage plan today an wondered if this might be large enough for 2 boys each side - it's basically a 2x4 with a 1x2 L I think the best way to describe it.
I've done a quick sketch an just put boxes to show how many grids across . . . Hope ya all can make sense of it! Lol xx

Corner cages

ooh that's cool I would just put coroplast up all the way were the two cages meet

Those are equal to 2x5. Should be enough for two boys on each side.

I do like my 2 boys bein in a 3x3 but if I pushed it up against the wall i don't think I'd be able to reach all the way to the back to tuck my fleece over the coroplast?! Lol xx an I was going to have a line if grids to separate the 2 cages like I do now

I think I might be able to make each side a little bigger . . . .

Corner cages

I think I'd just have to make the grids with arrows pointing to them flip down like doors so I can pull the coroplast forward for fleece changing. Xx

If you're going to make the coro pull out, won't it be easier to make it full 3x3 or 3x4?

If I made it 3x4 I wouldn't be able to reach the back at all for spot cleaning so I thought they could have a full 3x3 each an then I could put a kitchen area in the 2x1 bits at the front? Xx to give them more zooming space xx

That could work. You'll have to slide out the kitchen before getting to the main tray. Might be a bit of a hassle.

Do you think this cage will be to hard for cleaning if I can only get at it from the front? Xx would I be better doing the first design do you think? Xx

IMO 3 deep is hard to clean if you can only access from one side, unless you can climb in it. My cage is like your first design but without the divider and it's even a stretch for me to get into the back corners and I'm tall. Mine is on a stand though so I can't climb inside to reach the back so this is perfect size for me and I wouldn't go bigger depth wise just for cleaning sake. Some people really like the 3 grid deep cages and have no problem with them.

Do you think this cage will be to hard for cleaning if I can only get at it from the front? Xx would I be better doing the first design do you think? Xx

It really does depend on the person. I am tall-ish (just under six feet) and I can pretty comfortably reach across three grids for cleaning/catching pig purposes with my cage pressed up against the wall. I would suggest testing your reach before setting the cage up, if you have a smaller cage set up already just try reaching across three panels and test out how easy it would be for you to get to the corners. For my 3x5 the entire front of the cage drops down, so I can really sort of crawl right in there if need be for more extensive cleaning but I don't bother with it often.

I would go for the second design if you think you can do it, I really think wider cages are more beneficial in the end. There's just so much more running room for them. My two girls love their cage, they run laps all night long and they don't look nearly as limited as they did when I had 2-grid wide cages for them.

I have my 2 boys in a 3x3 now an for spot cleaning I don't have a problem - just thinking how hard it'll be when I want to do full cleans? But then I was thinking about having the front drop down so I can pull it out clip the fleece in an slide it back in xx just can't decide if that'll work or not?! Lol xx

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.