Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Not Sure If This Cage Is All Right

Whisperer

Cavy Slave
I have a lonely guinea pig named 'Kakashi' and this is his cage:

Not Sure If This Cage Is All Right

My family is not really 'ready' for a pet guinea pig and the one Kakashi is living in right now used to be a rabbit cage. My mother is not really fond of having mammal pets and doesn't seem willing enough to buy me new stuff for Kakashi. If you can see in the picture, there's a litter tray with newspapers above the bar flooring and a litter tray underneath the bar flooring. There are two small 'cups' and a plastic yellow ball I placed there because of lack of toys. Please tell me if these are enough.

Regarding floor time:
Kakashi has a maze which has become slightly damaged but is still safe. I had stopped putting him there because I'm afraid he'd pee and poop in there again. It gets really hard to clean. Kakashi has also chewed off the wood from one of the corners. So... instead of putting him inside his maze for 'play time', I began putting him in a space in my bedroom which I seclude when it's his floor time. There is a lack of toys though. I also end floor time within 30 minutes (I think) because I'm also scared he'd pee and poop on the floor.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
That's a very cute piggy you've got there, and I love the name. (Perhaps from Naruto?) I'm sorry to say that your cage is much too small. Guinea pigs need lots of room to run full speed around the cage and have fun playing. Also, a guinea pigs diet should consist of mainly unlimited grass hay (Followed by a good balance of veggies and good pellets) which I don't see in the cage.

That cage is very small and not large enough for a guinea pig. And definitely not large enough for a rabbit. Maybe I'm just not seeing it in the picture but they also need veggies, pellets and most of all, water and unlimited hay. Here are the cage size guidelines. Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home.

The minimum for one pig is 7.5 sq. ft. C&C cages are a great way to give your pig the space they need. It's easy to build and inexpensive to get the supplies. The grids are available at about any place that sells organization supplies. Bed, Bath & Beyond sells a box of grids for around $20. Here is the information on C&C cages: Cubes and Coroplast

Here is the diet & nutrition chart that you can refer to for which veggies to feed https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

Also, you mentioned bar flooring, that's not safe for guinea pigs as their little feet can fall through, get stuck and they could break their feet and or toes. They need a solid bottom for their cage.

Oh dear. That cage is much too small. I suggest you get a bigger cage.

What you can do if you have a decent amount of room is make a C&C cage. Just search for wire storage cubes (the ones with nine squares in each row for every panel) to make walls of a cage. You can make a huge cage out of these for $20, give or take a few bucks. If you cant afford cloroplast (the material most C&C cages use for flooring) then you can get a plastic shower curtain liner, and some puppy pads. The shower curtain liner would go on the floor, then the puppy pads on it, so urine is absorbed. For bedding you can use fleece blankets. A single fleece blanket will fit under a 2x4 cage, which is the minimum for 2 piggies I believe. You can make a 2x3 cage if you want.

To make a cage this big, it'll only cost about $20 something and maybe less if you find good deals. It's a lot less expensive than smaller store bought cages

Not Sure If This Cage Is All Right
Here's a picture of my cage, with my two lovely babies munching on hay. (It's only messy because It was fleece changing day and i hadnt gotten around to it yet)

I'd make a bigger cage, that one looks far to small also add some hideys into it! See if you can get a pigloo (an igloo) or anything similar

that cage isn't big enough... is there any way you can afford to build a c&c cage? it's really very cheap, probably 40 or 50 dollars at the MOST. i paid around 40 for mine, and it's pretty big. as far as toys, give him some brown paper bags or make hidey houses out of cardboard boxes. and make sure he's getting a proper diet. floor time should also be longer, especially with such a small cage. try puttig an old shower curtain or some old towels underneath him to keep him from getting the floor dirty. he's a cute piggie though, good luck :)

I can't really tell from the pictures, but it looks like the panels of this cage can come apart. If that is the case I would play around with taking it apart and seeing how large a space you can make out of it if you keep the bottom and the top open.
I am not sure if your home is safe for an open top cage, but is one thing you can consider until you are able to get together resources for a C&C cage. If the panels do come apart, you can secure them with zip ties.
You can use a shower curtain with towels and fleece over as the bottom.
Add a little fleece forest and you will be ok temporarily til you can get a larger cage.

You also want to use something other than newspaper in this one. Makes for a super stinky cage.

For floor time you can section off an area using boxes and put down an old towel. That would allow your piggy more floor time.

good luck! Your piggy looks like a real QT.

Oh, and Hay hay hay hay hay. Make sure your pet gets unlimited good quality hay.

Last edited:
Kakashi is adorable! Your cage is okay for temporary use but you need a bigger one for permanent use. I would recommend at least a 2x3 c and c cage or a midwest habitat but bigger is always better and I would recommend getting him a friend as guinea pigs are social animals. Bar flooring that is used for rabbits is not safe for guinea pigs as they can easily get their foot caught and break a leg so if it is removable take it out and if not you should cover it with something like a sheet of plastic,layers of towels ect. I would also put lots of hay in his litter box guinea pigs need an unlimited supply of fresh hay daily.

Last edited:
Your cage is simply too small for your pig's health, and the bars on the floor are dangerous -- his feet or legs could get broken. I'd cover it with a solid bottom until you can upgrade the cage to something larger (preferably a c&c, but a midwest habitat cage is also large enough for a single pig and runs about $35 for an open cage on Amazon).

He's a pretty pig! As for toys: Pigs are pretty easy to please! Give him unlimited grass hay (orchard, timothy, etc. which is absolutely essential to a healthy diet), toss in a paper ball, a fleece forest (directions are somewhere on here), add a cardboard box hidey or tunnel, etc. They don't need anything expensive. In fact, one of my pigs' favorite toys is simply a toilet paper tube stuffed with fresh hay. They devour the hay and then gnaw on the tube, lol.

Stick around on the forum, and you'll be a piggy pro in no time!

I think everyone has covered everything off for now. I just want to say, there are lots of alternative cages and things you can make as well. If you have a very large cardboard box, that could work instead of choroplast. You need to line it with a few dollar store shower curtains.

I noticed you're in the Philippines. I'm really not sure what kind of stuff is there. If you have an old t shirt or something you could even make tunnels or fleece forrests for your pig.

That cage is very very small.

you pig looks pretty unhappy. i don't see a water bottle or hay. your pig needs unlimited hay as much as we need air to breath. if you do nothing else, please make sure he gets access to unlimited hay and fresh water. guinea pigs are social animals, so they really need another guinea pig to live with. they need to have fresh vegetables every day as well. if you can't provide that for this poor pig, then love him enough to re-home him and give him to someone who can take care of him the way he derseves to be cared for. please.

Thanks for all the replies. :) I appreciate all these advice and suggestions. Anyway, yes, I've done my share of reading about taking care of guinea pigs before I posted this. That's why I feel so worried for Kakashi. :| I know the cage is inappropriate but about the feet getting stuck in the bars, Kakashi has lived in that cage for weeks already, I think, (in my classmate's care) and 5 days (in my care) without getting any of his limbs getting caught in the bars. But that possibility why I put a litter tray above the bar flooring. About the size, yes, I'm worried that it is too small like you guys said. Unfortunately, like what I mentioned in my first post, my mother isn't really willing to buy new stuff for Kakashi. $20 dollars seem like a lot of money. I'm from the Philippines and so far, I've no idea how expensive guinea pig stuff are. I'm hoping to look for them in the coming weekend.

Anyway, I took the picture before I was about to refill his cups. He has enough supply of water. I'm not sure about food. He mainly eats pellets. I get him some grass once a day. I don't know how I can get hay without spending much. >.< I'm also worried about feeding him too much. He seems to poop a lot (or is it only like that because of the poor cage?). Cleaning can get really troublesome.

Update: I've made him a 'house' from an old shoe box. Is that all right? He seems to like it and is actually staying inside it right now. lol Also, I put him inside his maze earlier again in addition to his floor time. This time, it lasted for an hour. He tends to leave his maze though. He also peed and pooped inside. >.< I had to pick the pieces of poop one by one and pour water in the maze.

@PigPandemonium - Yes, I named him from that character in Naruto lol. Kakashi's right eye is consistently red while the other looks brown without light. That's why I gave him the name 'Kakashi'. xD

@jacqueline - I know you're concerned about my guinea pig but it's sad to see you suggest that I'd give him away. :| He's my first pet and I don't want to give up on him. Finding a new owner seems harder too.

I know it's hard to hear. But if you're not willing to spend a little extra money to give him a suitable and safe environment and hay. And you wont give him sufficient floor time because you're afraid he will poop or pee on the floor, it might be best to give him up. I've never suggested this, but you just dont seem to have the willingness or money to take care of him properly.

Perhaps a hamster will be a better fit? They are less expensive to take care of, although you'd have to get a different cage. Guinea pigs really arent reccomended for first pets. They take some money and time.

I feel really bad for the piggy :( I also agree that you should consider giving him to a home that can properly care for him and give him a happy, healthy life. I think your being a bit selfish waning to keep him for your own personal satisfaction of having a pet. Dont you want him happy? Pretty much everything your doing for him so far is wrong. You should let him go to a home where he will have good food, hay, toys, a much much larger cage without a wire floor, comfy safe bedding, and hopefully a friend or two.
I know you want a pet but a guinea pig clearly insnt it. You should look into getting something easier and smaller like a hamster or mouse.So
Sorry, I know i sound super mean but I just feel so bad for your guinea pig and want him to end up in a better home.

Just because he hasn't hurt himself yet doesn't mean it's okay to keep him on bar flooring. You need to fix the cage bottom. NOW. If you can't even do that I'm sorry but I agree with the others. His quality of life is not acceptable and he could become very sick or injure himself to the point where he has to be put to sleep! If your mom won't even get him a cage that isn't going to hurt him what to do you think shes going to do if he gets hurt or sick? It's not fair to him.

Guinea pigs poop constantly. And they eat constantly. I'm glad you're trying to do right by him by researching, but he is going to require more food (hay), some fresh food, and a much larger cage with a flat bottom -- not bars. Just because he hasn't yet gotten his feet or legs caught does not mean he won't.

Please consider getting a part time job (if you are old enough) or finding some jobs around the neighborhood that will pay enough to provide for his basic necessities. Pets are a responsibility, and providing for them is part of our commitment to them. It's unfair to the animal to not give them what they really need. You don't have to give him the biggest cage on the market or organic food or elaborate toys, but he does need a larger, safer cage, hay, and a hidey (which you've already given him with the shoebox). Please understand that his very health is at stake.

lol guys. I didn't say I'd stop giving him floor time. I'll just go clean his litter. Also, I'm hoping to get new stuff for him this coming weekend. And I didn't say that I'm not willing to take care of him properly. It's my mother who doesn't seem to be. Please don't be too hard on me. I'm doing the best I could. I just have no time to get stuff for him until this weekend. Anyway, I just did some research and I found out that fresh grass can be a good replacement for hay (that is, until I can get hay this weekend). So I've decided that starting tomorrow, I'll give him more grass and less pellets. Is that okay?

I'd urge you to refer your mom to this forum. No parent should allow his or her child to get a pet without properly researching that pet beforehand. (And yes, I'm a parent). Your mom needs to understand that your guinea pig has needs, and it must be properly cared for because to not do so borders on animal cruelty and neglect. If she is unwilling to help you care for your animal, however, you are old enough to find the means to at least provide a safer cage and healthier food OR rehome your pet.

I know these are harsh words, and I'm sorry for that. But animals are not toys. They are living, feeling creatures, and they do have emotions. Your guinea pig is living in a tiny box with a dangerous floor, and he does not have access to a biologically normal diet. He is at risk, and we are not telling you this to pick on you but because we fear for his safety. We want to spare him injury or sickness, and we believe you do, too. That's WHY we are telling you this.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.