Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Is my piggie pregnant?

Riahchu

Cavy Slave
Hello!
I recently adopted a lovely little female Guinea Pig from my towns shelter. When I adopted her they claimed she was 3month old. I have had her for about a month now so she is roughly 4 months old. I've noticed that her back tummy sides seem a little protruded. I looked up guinea pig bloat and common signs that follow are: lack of eating or drinking, decreased activity, and trouble pooping. However, she eats regularly (Timothy Hay, Pellets, and Celery) and drinks plenty of water (noticeably more than my almost 3yr old other female GP, Peaches) Her bowel movements are regular, no noticeable straining or pain when going to the bathroom. She seems to be laying around a little more than usual but will still popcorn a lil when she gets excited. Her mood seems laid back and she still doesn't mind being held (she purrs like crazy <3). I've felt on her tummy (only applying light pressure because if she is pregnant I don't want to harm them) but she didn't seem like she cared either way so I don't think she is in pain. It doesn't sound hollow when I tap it, though her tummy feels "rubbery" I suppose. Rather squishy but firm as well.​

I've got her an appointment with the Vet on Monday morning to see what's up, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts or opinions. I've attached pictures below of the lovely lady <3 let me know your thoughts and if you have any suggestions before she goes to her doctors appointment. Thanks!!

Is my piggie pregnant?Is my piggie pregnant?Is my piggie pregnant?Is my piggie pregnant?

She absolutely appears to be pregnant. Can you feel any movement yet, when you gently cup your hands around her tummy? (You don't really need to apply pressure, just hold her tummy when she is sitting normally on your lap).

I also adopted a pregnant pig from a rescue. It's very surprising when you think you're adopting 2 females, and one is unknowingly pregnant and then you have six!

She's lovely, and does look pregnant. But you can't always tell from a picture. The best way to know is to weigh her frequently to see how fast she is gaining, and as @AmberCalzone suggested see if you can feel any pups moving.

@AmberCalzone ohmygoodness <3 I hadn't really rested my hand underneath her belly to feel for pups (odd, you think that would've crossed my mind) and sure enough I felt movement. No doubt about it now, but its still best to have a vet see her Monday. I'm going to go do some more research so she's comfortable and well prepared for her future delivery. I've read it's common for piggies to have complications during pregnancies (which is why people advise not to breed them) but seeing as this is unavoidable I want to make sure I can do everything I can for her.

Thanks so much for the quick reply! Since you've obviously had a litter if you have any advice or suggestions for me I'd be happy to hear them. I'm rather familiar with piggies, but I've never had a pregnant one before so anything you could offer would be helpful. thanks again!

@Rywen Thank you! Since I've felt kicking I'm sure she's pregnant but weighing her still wouldn't be a bad idea. Thank you also for such a quick response. If you have any suggestions or advice also I'd be glad to hear it!

Congratulations, sounds like you have a Preggy Piggy! I adopted a female Guinea Pig named Lemon in September, she was about 8 months old at that time - And now, I have 4 baby Piggies born on October 18th! Suprise! Thank goodness she did really well and so did the babies, but I was very worried about the outcome - The best a person can do is keep her happy, healthy & keep a close eye on her - And keep a good vet close by.

I would have never intentionally gotten her (or any of my girls) pregnant, but it was quite the experience! I wish you and your Piggy the best of luck in her pregnancy!

@piggy.mamma Thank you very much, to be honest I'm rather worried myself. However, I'll do everything to keep her happy, comfortable, and healthy <3 Glad to hear your sow and her babies did well! Hopefully Honey's will go over the same! Thanks again!

She could just be chubby, and growing normally.

She doesn't really need to go to the vet. The most (s)/he can do for her right now is to do an XRay to see how many pups she's expecting, which isn't really necessary. It's good to have a good emergency vet planned out (exotic, cavy-savvy, of course) just in case she experiences complications.

She'll need extra calcium (which she is most likely getting anyway I'm assuming, since she's under 6 months). The pups will also need extra calcium until they're six months. If she were over six months, she would need an extra source of calcium while nursing, but seeing as she's still young herself you can feed her and the pups the same things until she reaches 6 months old.

What type of cage do you have? You may have to baby-proof.

Is she with any other pigs? Other guinea pigs make awesome aunts and nannies and she does not need to be separated.
You can hold the babies as soon as they're dry, pigs don't reject their offspring like some other rodents when humans touch them.
Weigh the babies every day once born to make sure they're gaining weight. It's normal to see a small drop in birth weight, but they should stabilize and then begin to gain weight within a few days. The pups will eat hay, vegetables and pellets within a few days of being born (I think mine began nibbling on hay and vegies day 2).

Boys must be physically separated from mom at 21 days to avoid pregnancy.
Good luck and congrats!

My piggy was prego when I got her as well. Keep at vet on hand in case of complications. Offer her some alfalfa hay. Don't stress. Try to hold her as little as possible, and move her food and water near her hidey. She'll be very tired and probably won't want to move around to get food. Good luck!

You're doing great. Awesome job consulting a vet and doing your research.

Keep us updated and upload pictures if/when the babies come!

She doesn't really need to go to the vet. The most (s)/he can do for her right now is to do an XRay to see how many pups she's expecting, which isn't really necessary. It's good to have a good emergency vet planned out (exotic, cavy-savvy, of course) just in case she experiences complications.

She'll need extra calcium (which she is most likely getting anyway I'm assuming, since she's under 6 months). The pups will also need extra calcium until they're six months. If she were over six months, she would need an extra source of calcium while nursing, but seeing as she's still young herself you can feed her and the pups the same things until she reaches 6 months old.

What type of cage do you have? You may have to baby-proof.

Is she with any other pigs? Other guinea pigs make awesome aunts and nannies and she does not need to be separated.
You can hold the babies as soon as they're dry, pigs don't reject their offspring like some other rodents when humans touch them.
Weigh the babies every day once born to make sure they're gaining weight. It's normal to see a small drop in birth weight, but they should stabilize and then begin to gain weight within a few days. The pups will eat hay, vegetables and pellets within a few days of being born (I think mine began nibbling on hay and vegies day 2).

Boys must be physically separated from mom at 21 days to avoid pregnancy.
Good luck and congrats!

Thank you so much for all of this information! It helps a lot. I'm going to be making a larger C&C cage here very soon since were now expecting. I do have another female guinea pig, Peaches and I will see if she can help Honey with looking after the little ones. Thank you also for including when I should separate the boys, I surely don't want this happening again!

@Kenna18155 Thank you so much! I appreciate your advice and rearranged her living space to make food/water more convenient. She seems more pleased with it. I will keep everyone updated with her progress and hopefully have good news to share if/when the babies arrive!

A little note: try not to pick her up as much now that you can feel the pup(s). This usually means there is 2-3 weeks left of pregnancy and you don't want to harm her or the babies. Ditto @AmberCalzone on not having to take her to the vet. All the vet can do is give you tips & give an ultrasound to see how many babies there are. Good luck!

A little note: try not to pick her up as much now that you can feel the pup(s). This usually means there is 2-3 weeks left of pregnancy and you don't want to harm her or the babies. Ditto @AmberCalzone on not having to take her to the vet. All the vet can do is give you tips & give an ultrasound to see how many babies there are. Good luck!

Thank you <3 I've been nervous to handle her so I haven't picked her up since I found out she was pregnant. When I clean out her living space I transport her by letting her climb into her travel crate and I carry her from there. <3 I figured that would be less stressful than having to physically pick her up (and safer). Also, since @AmberCalzone mentioned taking Honey to the vet wouldn't really do anything besides maybe tell me how many babies would be coming I canceled her vet appointment. No point in the extra stress on her since there's nothing really going to benefit Honey <3
Thank you for the advice!

Good luck I hope it will go smoothly :) Make sure to read the link bpatters posted about piggy pregnancy and I'd also recommend getting familiar with how to sex pups and to be prepared to separate them at 3 weeks old at the latest because they will become sexually active:

https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing_pups.html

Good luck I hope it will go smoothly :) Make sure to read the link bpatters posted about piggy pregnancy and I'd also recommend getting familiar with how to sex pups and to be prepared to separate them at 3 weeks old at the latest because they will become sexually active:

https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing_pups.html

Thank you! I surely don't want this happening again! Thanks for the advice I've looked up videos and articles on how to sex guinea pigs so that I can make sure I separate them properly. :)

Someone's getting awfully big :love: just an update on Honey's pregnancy. Still eating and drinking well. Finally likes spinach after several attempts. We also ordered her some oxbow alfalfa based vitamin c tablets last week so hopefully she will take a likening to those. All seems well just looks like she is going to pop. You don't have to look too hard to see pups moving around, they are so active. Overall Honey seems to be doing alright and hopefully the pups are too!

Attachments

image.jpg
It sounds like they should be born soon. Don't get too excited, I would wait at least another week. I haven't really looked too closely at the other posts since I posted a while ago. Did anyone tell you about finding the pelvic bones and checking for widening? Once they are at least a fingers width, she will give birth 24-48 hours later. (This isn't always true, I waited almost a week for my babies to be born) There is a link that shows how to find the bones, but I don't know where to find it. Could another member please put the Guinea Lynx pelvic bones widening link on here please?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.