Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Mistake made with pet store cage

ryliem

Cavy Slave
Okay so I know a lot of people are going to yell at me for having a pet store cage, but when I bought it all the reviews (from real people) said they will house up to three GP's inside the extra large cage... So I bought that one because I only want to house two. I bought it the day before signing up for this form too which made everything worse. The cage's website even had a thing that told you what size was good for which animals. I tried looking at the Main Tab that has the measurements, but I just got confused. It didn't say if it was cm l x cm w or vice-versa.

My cage dimensions are: 119 L x 58 W x 61 H cm

the cage is huge, I fit inside comfortably. I know it's big enough for one GP, but is it enough for two males?

I am a teen, so money is pretty tight and my dad will not let me build a c&c cage (I have no idea why :() If anyone has any advice that would be great :)

Thanks

Unfortunately that cage isn't large enough, it is even below the recommended size for one guinea pig.

Based on your measurements, it comes in at 7.43 square feet. Also, if you got those measurements from the outer corners of the cage, the actual inner living space measurements of the plastic tray would be less.

The recommended size for 2 boars is about 12 square feet, it may not seem like it but the extra 5 and half square feet will make a HUGE difference. You are asking for lots of squabbling and potentially dangerous fighting by keeping them in a too small cage.

I would highly recommend returning that cage and looking elsewhere. I know parents can be difficult sometimes but it is up to your family to make sure you have suitable living arrangements for your pets. If they are really against building your own cage, you could look into purchasing 2 Midwest guinea pig habitats and merging them together as that would give you a store bought option but would also give enough space (16 sqft).

Any advice on what to do with the old cage? I'm making a c&c cage ASAP

We turned ours into a carrier.

Any advice on what to do with the old cage? I'm making a c&c cage ASAP

You can probably return it if you got it at a pet store.

You can probably return it if you got it at a pet store.

I bought it online, and I think it's past the return date. I'll probably just keep it and use it for a different (smaller) pet if I ever get one.

lolThis thing could carry my dad inside it... with the top closed. I wouldn't be able to do that

It's sometimes good to have a cage kicking around in case of an emergency as you would have a secure place to put them.

On the other hand, pet store guinea pig cages can make awesome hamster cages if you add metal screening to the outside to make the gaps between the bars smaller.

I use my store cage for a safe spot when we go outside.

Where did you get that cage?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.