Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

In Heat Pregnant or just fat ?

piggymomma93

Cavy Slave
uploadfromtaptalk1393288949599.jpg

Any insight would be great. Keep in mind she just had babies 2 months ago.

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
Why do you think she would be pregnant again? Is she with a male?

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Female pigs, and even just guinea pigs in general are pear shaped and vary in sizes.
She shouldn't be pregnant because giving birth and being pregnant is hard on a sow. Getting a female pig pregnant means theres a 20% chance she may die. Is she with a male? If she is you need to remove him right now. Guinea pigs can get pregnant again minutes after the new babies are born. Are you trying to breed your pigs?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is it possible that she is pregnant? If so, she needs to be separated from any males immediately. Pregnancy in general is hard on sows, with a high death rate for both sows and pups. But back-to-back pregnancies, called back breeding, are especially hard on the sows and on the second litter of pups. The sow may well have a calcium deficiency, and the pups may fail to develop bones and teeth normally because of it.

When was she last with a male? Even with her pups, if she has a young litter. Males can impregnate a female shortly after three weeks of age, so if she was in with her pups, you may have a mother-son mating, which carries additional genetic defect risks.

piggymomma93

Cavy Slave
I am not at all trying to breed her. She gave birth to two beautiful girls and two handsome little boys. Which were both removed at 3 weeks of age.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
If the boys were removed at 3 weeks and you aren't breeding her, why exactly do you think she's pregnant?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Good, glad to know that. If she hasn't been with a mature male since she gave birth, she can't be pregnant. Was there another male around other than the pups.

piggymomma93

Cavy Slave
No. I have a 7 year old male but he is in his own home. Separate from lola.

piggymomma93

Cavy Slave
@CavyMama she looks to be getting larger. Was just a concern. I've never cared for babies before. The reason I was looking for input. Please keep your rude comments out of this.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
So, again. If she had not been with any males since she gave birth, what exactly would make you suspect she might be pregnant.

Even if she had been getting larger, the one thing that has to be present in order for her to be pregnant is contact with a male. Without this there is no way for her to be pregnant so I'm just trying to figure out why you think she might be.

Smile4amile

Cavy Slave
She is pregnant!! She looks like a pear that's how I know! LOL

Edited by bpatters: Having a pear shape is only a sign of pregnancy if there are other, more reliable, signs -- feeling the pups move, hearing their teeth gnash, etc. Otherwise, it's just a sign of a plump pig.

Last edited by a moderator:

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@Smile4amile that is slightly misleading advice, many female (and male) pigs are particularly pear shaped and are not pregnant/bloated. My girls are happy, healthy, and have quite large booties and are 100% not pregnant.

@piggymomma93 it's hardly rude to ask why you think she might be pregnant. I'm interested too. If she's had no male contact since her last pregnancy, and the pups where removed at 3 weeks, why would you think she is? Unless there was a male in the cage at the time of birth?

Last edited by a moderator:

piggymomma93

Cavy Slave
....one of the males was thought to be a female...He was removed a short time after 3 weeks. :-/

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I understand why you'd be reluctant to tell the forum, but don't worry. Anyone could make that mistake. How short a time are we talking? If I remember correctly, @bpatters said the 3 week rule has some wiggle room built in, and that it's not been heard of that a boar impregnated a sow until they where 3.5/4 weeks old was it?

Anyway, there's a chance you might be in the clear if it wasn't too long after three weeks. Don't beat yourself over it, just make sure if there's a next time (which I'm sure you're crossing your fingers there isn't haha!), that you're more careful with the sexing.

piggymomma93

Cavy Slave
Thank you for understanding. It was about a week before I again checked and realized there was in fact another male. I am praying she is not pregnant. Fingers double crossed.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I'll cross my fingers too that she isn't. :)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
@Princess_Piggie You are so nice other people kinda answered rudely and u just understood! It's always nice to have kinda people like u on the forum.

Thank you! Honestly though, I can understand why some people may be a little less...level headed, about it. You see so many cases of just plain ignorance where the owner has checked the pups sex only once, then not bothered again, and ended up with a pregnant sow and wondered why, or they haven't bothered researching when to separate etc. It's a whole different story when it's a genuine mistake (as was the case here) compared to just utter ignorance to the situation. I'd probably be a little ticked off too if someone posted about being ignorant when it came to sexing pups, then wondered why they had a pregnant sow.

Talking Cavy

Cavy Slave
Thank you! Honestly though, I can understand why some people may be a little less...level headed, about it. You see so many cases of just plain ignorance where the owner has checked the pups sex only once, then not bothered again, and ended up with a pregnant sow and wondered why, or they haven't bothered researching when to separate etc. It's a whole different story when it's a genuine mistake (as was the case here) compared to just utter ignorance to the situation. I'd probably be a little ticked off too if someone posted about being ignorant when it came to sexing pups, then wondered why they had a pregnant sow.
I totally get you!

Smile4amile

Cavy Slave
She is pregnant!! She looks like a pear that's how I know! LOL

Edited by bpatters: Having a pear shape is only a sign of pregnancy if there are other, more reliable, signs -- feeling the pups move, hearing their teeth gnash, etc. Otherwise, it's just a sign of a plump pig.

Hey It's not false info! In just trying to help! She is quite round. &(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.