Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Not sure what to do about pigs that need a new home?

Annmarie

Cavy Gazer
I work near a military installation and people are having to give up their animals due to deployment ( I have already adopted a dog because of this). I have found two sweet little girls that are 2 months old and need to be rehomed. I always have a moral dilema and want to save all pigs. The listing states that they are in a huge cage, but we have all heard that before and it is a pet store cage. I wanted to see if anyone was interested in helping these two babies out? I am going to see them at lunch and the person is asking $40.00 for rehoming. My husband said I could take them if I want to but that would mean having 5 girls in a 2x6 and I also have to boys who are each in 2x3s due to excessive biting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

How about taking them in as fosters while you find them suitable homes?

I have thought about that. Will my 3 girls miss them when I do find them forever homes?

How about taking them in as fosters while you find them suitable homes?

Maybe if they start to split up and make new bonds... What about splitting the cage into separate sides so they don't have as much contact? How do rescues do it?

I agree, don't put them with your other pigs if you plan on adopting them out eventually.
Depending on the size of the pet store cage, you could still use it and just add some grids to the outside for more space. Maybe not ideal, but it will get you by while you search for a new home for them and it will still be more space than they have now.
I know there are some pics of that type cage on here somewhere.

At our rescue, everyone is kept in separate cages as they came in (singles, doubles, etc)

Thanks for the advice. I am going tomorrow to see them.

Let us know how it goes!
Adopt, foster or educate, you're doing a great thing!

Let us know how it goes!
Adopt, foster or educate, you're doing a great thing!

I wanted to update everyone on the two girls I saw today, of course I adopted them. I did a teeth, skin, and sex check. One is around 2 months old and the other one looks to be around 6 months old. They hadn't been held in over a month and only got carrots every once in a while, very sad. I cleaned out my girls cage, wiped everything down and introduced on neutral territory. Once I put them all in the cage my girl, Pepper (1536 grams) is chattering at all pigs even her sisters she has been with for years. One of the new girls (I named her Fiona and she is 700 grams) is also dominate. I got scared and put grids between the new girls and my current girls. I have read all the bonding threads and I a still scared because my boys never did bond and got in a bloody fight that my husband had to break up. The two girls our now chattering at each other through the grids but at least they can't bite. I will remove the grids tomorrow and stay in the room for as long as it takes.
Thanks for listening.

Congrats! What's the other's name?

Congrats! What's the other's name?

The smaller girl's name is Carmel (500 grams), my husband always names one and I name the other, I picked Fiona. I will post pigtures tomorrow.

Pigtures! I love it!

So you've decided to keep these girls? Not foster them?

So you've decided to keep these girls? Not foster them?

I have decided to keep them. They are sweet and needed a good home. Do you think I should put the submissive girl in with my current herd first and then bathe the dominate new girl with my dominate girl, Pepper? Very stressed about this. my boys never did bond and have to live seperate. I dont want this to happen with the girls.

Firstly, I'd quarantine them for a few weeks to prevent having to treat ALL your pigs should they have any sort of aliments.

Now, for the intro, I'd start off on a neutral place. With some clean towels, clean hidys with more than 1 opening and clean bottles. Big pile of food in the middle. Plop them in there and monitor them for atleast an hour or until you feel they are getting along fine.

Should any aggressive lunging, biting, hair pulling etc start, I'd feel comfortable with separating them, giving them a break. Maybe giving them the rest of the day off? And start again tomorrow, but 1st starting with a buddy bath. Have someone help you, since you'll have 3 pigs and only 2 hands ;) After the bath, they'll all smell the same and can hopefully have some better progress.

Firstly, I'd quarantine them for a few weeks to prevent having to treat ALL your pigs should they have any sort of aliments.

Now, for the intro, I'd start off on a neutral place. With some clean towels, clean hidys with more than 1 opening and clean bottles. Big pile of food in the middle. Plop them in there and monitor them for atleast an hour or until you feel they are getting along fine.

Should any aggressive lunging, biting, hair pulling etc start, I'd feel comfortable with separating them, giving them a break. Maybe giving them the rest of the day off? And start again tomorrow, but 1st starting with a buddy bath. Have someone help you, since you'll have 3 pigs and only 2 hands ;) After the bath, they'll all smell the same and can hopefully have some better progress.

My pig girl, Pepper (1536 grams) did a bull run with her head at her hay box and launched it. i didn't realize how much they are like bulls. I actually have 5 girls now, should I bathe all 5 together? I didn't quarantine, I know I should have but I got excited. They are all in the same cage with grids seperating the new herd from the existing herd. pepper is so large I worry about the little ones. I will have my husband help with the bath and hopefully that will bond them.

Bathing 5 all together maybe a difficult task(unless you can have 2-3 people at a tub). If you want to split up the baths, you can do 3 in one and 2 in the other.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.