Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores I Feel So Guilty...

Cativision

Cavy Slave
I feel so guilty for buying all my pets.Hermit crabs,guinea pigs,hamsters,fish,birds,all those. I just wish I would have just taken the time to search up pets local to my area. I would love to adopt my pets,but I have no shelters or rescues close to me. I feel so depressed and down now that I think about it.If only Piper was adopted,she wouldn't have died so early! I am sobbing right now,why couldn't I have just adopted a homeless animal?I am always saying "Adopt Don't Shop" yet I always shop for my pets, I'm a hypocrite! There is no rescues around me,and I am terrified to adopt pets off Craigslist. All the pets I have bought are so skittish and some never even lasted a week! Even when I know how animals in pet stores are treated,I STILL buy them! I feel horrible,I shouldn't have any pets...

Popcorn321

Cavy Slave
another way to adopt is through kijiji...

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Everyone makes mistakes, I made that exact same mistake as you. Lots of experienced owners in the beggining buy rather than adopt.
If you would like, we can help you find an adoptionn center near you :)

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Not sure why you're terrified of Craigslist. That's where I got my Amy, who I've had over three years now. She's a healthy, happy pig, unlike poor Mufasa who was store bought and died within two weeks. Just be sure to deal with local people and bring someone with you to look at the animal when you adopt via Craigslist.

pinky

Cavy Slave
All of my current guinea pigs are from Craigslist.

Cativision

Cavy Slave
Not sure why you're terrified of Craigslist. That's where I got my Amy, who I've had over three years now. She's a healthy, happy pig, unlike poor Mufasa who was store bought and died within two weeks. Just be sure to deal with local people and bring someone with you to look at the animal when you adopt via Craigslist.
I am generally a very nervous person,and hearing stories about Craigslist on the news doesn't help it.I am very cautious, and meeting someone up in person just irks me,I don't know.

Sunrise

Cavy Slave
I don't see why you or anyone should feel guilty. In the end it's not about YOU or me or anyone on this forum. It's about Piper whom you liberated from whatever ugly situation she was in trapped in a petstore. If you offered her or it the best life she could have had, then you have done your job as an intelligent bipedal.

Beating yourself up for the reasons you bought her at the petstore are ridiculous and it doesn't help save any other lives, nor does it make any sense at all. Rest assured that you have done all you could do and for goodness sake, take everything in stride. Don't let the inexperience or rudeness of others make you feel bad about yourself.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.