Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Is your guinea pig litter trained?

MadrigalsRule

Cavy Slave
Hi, I'm just wondering, is your guinea pig litter trained? I read online that they are extremely hard to train for that.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's correct. You can't litter train them. What you can do is put litter pans where they pee and poop the most, usually where they eat and where they sleep. That'll catch a lot of the output, and the rest isn't too hard to take care of.

MadrigalsRule

Cavy Slave
it's not possible at all?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Nope. Some pigs are better than others about using corner litter pans, but all of them will strew poops around the floor/cage.

mmas4

Cavy Slave
My pigs are fairly good about using their litter pans. The only spots my pigs potty is under hideys and where they eat so I put hay in the litter pans and my girls have a hidey in their litter pan. They are maybe 80% litter trained.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
My pigs are fairly good about using their litter pans. The only spots my pigs potty is under hideys and where they eat so I put hay in the litter pans and my girls have a hidey in their litter pan. They are maybe 80% litter trained.

I'd say you are trained and they do what's natural to them ;)

Lord Pigwidgeon

Cavy Slave
I was using a litter pan, but in the end for me it wasn't worth it. They did mostly go in there, but I had to continue changing that pan out more than if I'd just sweep up habitually. They still mainly go in that corner, but instead of changing out a paper bedding every couple days, I just sweep the poop up and the urine wick through the fleece to the wood pellets underneath. Much easier.

Lord Pigwidgeon

Cavy Slave
Haha pretty much the same for me! They slept in it a lot. Now they sleep in the fleece forest.

mmas4

Cavy Slave
I'd say you are trained and they do what's natural to them ;)

Yeah, pretty much, but as long as they are using it I don't care why :p. This way their cage stays much cleaner. I tried using fleece only and it was a mess.

MadrigalsRule

Cavy Slave
Mine goes to the bedding box probably 95% of the time, but when she jumps out, sometimes the bedding comes out. Lots of mistakes happen, of course, like I found that the newspaper under the fleece forest was wet once. :eek:

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
@mmas4 I don't disagree, I do the same thing, but I don't consider mine litter trained. :)

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
I had four that used their litter box 100% of the time and I'm being very serious but that was by their own choice. I wouldn't doubt they'd do it again if I had them on fleece with a litter box again. They would go to their litter box just to go to the bathroom. I thought I had lost my mind when I saw them doing that!

juliax0

Cavy Slave
To be honest, I think it depends on your guinea pig. One of my piggies just goes wherever his heart desires lol whereas my other one is super neat and well kept and does his business in the corner of the cage. I would suggest making one corner of your cage darker by putting a blanket/piece of coroplast as they tend to like to go in dark areas.

hatley1717

Cavy Slave
I thought about getting a litter pan but decided not to. Instead, I got a mini hand held vacuum and maintain the poops that way....I got 3 layers of uhaul pads under my fleece and it's all working wonderfully!!!! I'm really glad I went with the vacuum, makes it sooo easy. Not to mention Molly LOVES the vacuum, she popcorns and tries to climb on it LOL silly piggy!!!! Annabelle on the other hand hides in the fleece forest til it's over :) Just keep trying different methods til you find one that works for you!

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
Ya my guinea pigs kinda litter trained themselves. They only ever went to the bathroom in one place to I put a little tray there and now they go in the pan xD very easy

Robin Kerley

Cavy Slave
Hi, I'm just wondering, is your guinea pig litter trained? I read online that they are extremely hard to train for that.

Mine is litter trained with care fresh in a square plastic tub. I will find stray poops sometimes but she goes in the litterbox 99% of the time and never pees/ poops in her house. She will even use her litterbox first if she knows I'm taking her out. Has never peed on me and only pooped on me maybe 4-5 times. I hold her for an hour with a potty break once. Maybe she is a little exception. It did take some patience at first but I've been working with her 2-3 months.

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
Mine is litter trained with care fresh in a square plastic tub. I will find stray poops sometimes but she goes in the litterbox 99% of the time and never pees/ poops in her house. She will even use her litterbox first if she knows I'm taking her out. Has never peed on me and only pooped on me maybe 4-5 times. I hold her for an hour with a potty break once. Maybe she is a little exception. It did take some patience at first but I've been working with her 2-3 months.

I've noticed that most piggies pick an area to potty anyway :3 my baby poops everywhere but he pees in the litter pan xD and that's fine with me the pee is what smells and the poops easy to clean

miniver

Cavy Slave
I have a coner litter box that they were using about 90% of the time. I put the hay in side so they spend a lot of time there.
Recently they have started hanging their little bums over the side. They pee and pooh and then pull their bums inside and sit and much away on the hay. Really smart to think of it.
In a way that still works for me. They may not be doing their business in the box but I know exactly were to place the extra fleece and puppy pads. :rolleyes:

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
I have a coner litter box that they were using about 90% of the time. I put the hay in side so they spend a lot of time there.
Recently they have started hanging their little bums over the side. They pee and pooh and then pull their bums inside and sit and much away on the hay. Really smart to think of it.
In a way that still works for me. They may not be doing their business in the box but I know exactly were to place the extra fleece and puppy pads. :rolleyes:

Lol your like >:3 Mwahaha

miniver

Cavy Slave
Haha. I refuse to be out smarted by two fluffy rodents! No matter how cute they are. :love:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.