Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight Is the average weight for a female guinea pig really 700-900 grams?

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
I just weighed my guinea pigs and all I can find for an "average" weight for female guinea pigs is 700-900 grams. Well...Daisy is 1090 grams and Skye is 1275 grams. I already knew Skye was a little on the chubby side cause the vet, jokingly asked "so when did this pig stop eating?" when I took them in for a wellness check a few months ago lol

The only thing is...I totally forgot to ask the vet what an ideal weight would be and the assistant just said "they're healthy"

I'm not necessarily worried, but do you the 700-900 grams is outdated? Or are my pigs just fat? LOL!

They are about 10 months old, from what the rescue could estimate.

Thanks!

Average weights you see for guinea pigs are based on lab animals, so they're lower than you tend to see for pets. I wouldn't worry about those weights. Guinea pigs don't really get overweight unless they have an improper diet or limited mobility.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Okay that makes sense. Thanks! They eat mainly veggies and hay and get pellets once a day. The hay and pellets come from Small Pet Select so I feel like their diet is pretty good.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.