Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Layla- Pregnant Sow

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
She looks extremely pregnant to me. You sound like a very attentive piggy parent, Layla seems to be in good hands. As has already been said though, I would seriously avoid handling her now. She looks pretty huge and you needs to be so careful not to hurt her or the babies. Hold on in there. I don't think you're being paranoid! By the way, do make sure you have a good cavy vet lined up, just in case.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
So it looks like she'd be due at the latest around the 21st, right? On Sept. 19th you said you had her for a little over a week, and that the girl who you got her from had kept her with males. So the latest she could have gotten pregnant is the day you got her. Count out ten weeks from there, and that's her due date. Of course some pigs only go 59, and some go 72.

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
Yes I believe that would be correct @foggycreekcavy . I have it all written down in my school diary. I am not handling her anymore (actually, I stopped handling her a few weeks ago and instead have been picking her up in a little carry cage). Right now, she is eating heaps! More than she ever has eaten. Thanks for your support everyone! I will keep you updated.

Last edited:

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
Nothing yet:(. She continues to get bigger though.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
The poor thing! She must be so big by now!

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
I have a situation. Tomorrow, my family and I have to leave to go to a cabin for the weekend. My grandma would look after Layla, but I really don't trust anyone to give her veggies, spot clean fleece and take her to the vet if need be. I am only 13, so I have to go. Do you think it will be alright for her to travel? It is only a 45 min drive. My next problem is caging. At the moment, my 4x2 c and c extension is attached to a store bought A Frame hutch with a tarp on the bottom. Wood shavings are being used but I will soon change to fleece and corflute. She also has a 1x2 loft with corflute and fleece. Her cage can't be too big for travelling, so what do you think I can do without having to cut more corflute? Also, what is the best thing to put her in to transport? She will be right next to me so I can see if she is ok!

Please Help!

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
Would you be able to disconnect just the loft, and take that with you? Maybe a 1x2 would be ok for a couple of days, and she'd still be watched over by you.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
At this stage in her pregnancy I would not risk taking her. Leave her with your grandma.

Measure out her daily veggies into separate baggies. You can stuff hay into small brown lunch bags for her to just throw in every day. Bed her cage with a disposable type bedding like shavings or Carefresh for while you are gone, so she won't have to clean up poops on fleece. Either leave money or a credit card and your vet's phone number (if it's a weekend it would most likely be an emergency vet). Baby proof the cage.

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
I decided to leave her at grandma's. It was probably the best choice, as we got caught in stop start traffic and the drive was 2 hours! Grandma knows exactly what to do, and will call me if ANYTHING seems wrong. Hope Layla holds her babies in until Sunday arvo!

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
Whew! As difficult as a rocket launch, sometimes, these pigs are!

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
Back from holiday and all is well! No pups yet but she keeps getting bigger. I absolutely can't wait now!

amys_guineas

Cavy Slave
aaw good luck, she is pregnant :)
my millie was pregnant when i bought her, so about 7 weeks old, two months or so when she gave birth :)
She had just the one baby, no probablems at all, we still have him now no probs at all :D
Layla- Pregnant Sowlittle millie with 3-4 weeks to go-and she only had the one!

Anna_Mills

Cavy Slave
I can relate, I'm wondering how big Paisley can stretch before the babies pop out of the sides. (Gross image, but true). she's bigger than she was in the most recent pictures!!! I am beginning to wonder if they will pop on the same day!! poor little ones!

Graceykearney

Cavy Slave
Any pups yet Hun?

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
Not yet but I am trying to organise a vet appointment for tomorrow to see if she really IS pregnant @Graceykearney

Graceykearney

Cavy Slave
Aww well thinking of you. theese piggies at the minute have everybody nail noting lol ive got my fingers crossed for u both.

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
She is all snappy tonight! Won't let me touch her (especially her tummy!), stays in her house and is laying around a lot. Also, SUPER EXCITING news! Her pelvic bones have parted about one and a half fingers! The babies have gone very quiet, there is no party in her stomach tonight. I think it might be soon! I will keep you all updated, it would be great if she has them this weekend.

Graceykearney

Cavy Slave
Oooooo how exciting lol not long now!!! We want piccys when they come lol I love piggy babies :p xxx

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
I recently got my Calliope from a local rescued. They got her from a bad situation when she was pregnant. They kept her until she gave birth and until the babies were weaned before putting her up for adoption. So glad they handled all that because I would be more of a nervous wreck than you if she was still pregnant. I recently asked her old foster mom to send me some pregnant pictures. When I saw them I was shocked! To think she had to in through that. She must have been miserable at the end. She was so huge! She had tired healthy babies and recovered fine but i couldn't help but think to myself that God must have a crazy sense of humor to have made piggies have so many "full size" babies when they are so small! She looked like a gourd :(

Here is a picture of Calliope VERY pregnant and more of her being a good mom after she gave birth.

Good luck with the birth etc. Im jealous that because I didn't get her until after all that happened, I didn't get to watch the babies explore their new world!

Layla- Pregnant SowLayla- Pregnant Sow

Attachments

Babies 4-24-12 #05-w900-h900.jpg
Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.