Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Is my Guinea Pig Sick Or Is He Just Shy?

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
My Guinea Pig, Zuri thats a Unisex name and used to be the name of my Mom's dog which is now across the rainbow bridge that happened 20 Years ago anyway my Guinea Pig since the first day has just been hiding If I cover the cage with a Blanket he will become very active he does eat his Veggies and Fruit which is only given once every 1 or 2 weeks. I mean I do care much about it like he has a horrible pet store cage I do uncover him and keep him beside me on the Sofa so we can see each other while he hides in his DIY Halloween Basket Hut. He will run a few laps if i take most of the stuff out of the cage. I am planning to build a new cage but I was wondering if he was showing normal behavior I am begging my Mom to let me take in a 2nd Pig but I am struggling I make no money and she wasn't much on board. My Guinea Pig does have its Essentials But I wish I could give him more when my sister got it for me she was like she would provide for it financially but that changed when she supposedly couldn't anymore as she made to little money that ticked me off but luckily i made many DIY things to keep my Pig happy but I know I need to take him to the vet soon for a Check Up any advice for the Short Run?

sherri86

Cavy Slave
once you have a bigger cage he will probably open up more. You stated you only give him veggies and fruit once every 1-2 weeks? He should get veggies every day, and fruit a couple times a week as a treat. green leaf lettuce, red leaf lettuce, parsley , kale, cilantro, are good choices. give mostly the lettuce and others smaller portions, least a cup a day. Do you have pellets as well as hay? and hay should be unlimited.

I would advise that if one pig is stretching you thin money wise, just stick with one. Just give him lots of attention and floor time since his cage is on the small size.

check out the guinea pigs cages forum , you may find some interesting and cheap ways to make a bigger cage

good luck and hope the best for you and Zuri

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
once you have a bigger cage he will probably open up more. You stated you only give him veggies and fruit once every 1-2 weeks? He should get veggies every day, and fruit a couple times a week as a treat. green leaf lettuce, red leaf lettuce, parsley , kale, cilantro, are good choices. give mostly the lettuce and others smaller portions, least a cup a day. Do you have pellets as well as hay? and hay should be unlimited.

I would advise that if one pig is stretching you thin money wise, just stick with one. Just give him lots of attention and floor time since his cage is on the small size.

check out the guinea pigs cages forum , you may find some interesting and cheap ways to make a bigger cage

good luck and hope the best for you and Zuri

He only gets Fruits once 1-2 Weeks

CavyTV

Cavy Slave

I don't know if you mean by the time being or for the rest of the pig's life but it's very important to get a guinea pig a buddy as soon as possible and no human is and can be a replacement of a piggie friend. We can't communicate with our piggies and they really benefit from having a friend. They can become lonely and depressed and can even stop eating if they are living by themselves for a long time.

sherri86

Cavy Slave
of course two pigs are better, but if he can't afford it then they will suffer. Hopefully he can get another pig in the near future.
I don't know if you mean by the time being or for the rest of the pig's life but it's very important to get a guinea pig a buddy as soon as possible and no human is and can be a replacement of a piggie friend. We can't communicate with our piggies and they really benefit from having a friend. They can become lonely and depressed and can even stop eating if they are living by themselves for a long time.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
The cost between 1 & 2 does rise quite a bit in the veggie department. Although - and this is a side note to help with affordability - do you know anyone who works in a restaurant? If they have a salad bar or a line with veggies, a lot of those vegs will have to be gotten rid of before they are bad and a friend may be able to bring home extra pepper slices, lettuce, tomatoes, etc. We have a CSA right now, but when that ends our next door neighbor will bring home peppers and lettuce for us from where she works. Veggies can be one of the most expensive things after the set-up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.