Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Please Please Help my pig can't hear

losparanoias

Cavy Slave
No...pero no crea es de no vitamina c. Mis piggies no comen vegetales n no tienen este problema. Creo que es otro problema. De donde es tu guinea pig? Una tienda o una persona?

mi cobaya es muy pequeña todavia

losparanoias

Cavy Slave
Barça!! Aprendí hablar castellano en Barça! Me encanta Barçaaaaaa....

pues... Lo siento pero los guinea pigs de tiendas desafortunadamente son enfermos muchas veces. Los jefes de los tiendas solo quieren dinero y no crecen los animales corectamente. Si el vet no te ayuda, busca otro. Y otro. Uno q especializa en animales extranjeros.

no tenía ninguna mascota antes, y no conozco nada sobre las veterinarias, conoces alguna información? o dónde puedo encontrarla?

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
Q no de vet. Estoy en los EE.UU ahora y solo te recomiendo Google uno en Barça o preguntar la tienda de donde lo compraste. Mis cobayos no comen ningun tipo de vegetales. Q lastima...pero si tienes comida q tiene vitamina c, no estara problema

losparanoias

Cavy Slave
Q no de vet. Estoy en los EE.UU ahora y solo te recomiendo Google uno en Barça o preguntar la tienda de donde lo compraste. Mis cobayos no comen ningun tipo de vegetales. Q lastima...pero si tienes comida q tiene vitamina c, no estara problema

mi cobaya comió solamente la comida de cobaya y heno hasta ayer, ahora come varios tipos de vegetales y frutas, como nos dijo el vet

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
Bien. Si el vet te diga algo, est bien.

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have a deaf pig and he happens to be all white. I am not sure if he a lethal or not but doesn't have any other signs that a lethal normally has. He is now 8+ months and is a very happy and healthy boy.

I am not sure going only a week would cause hearing issues- but then again I am not a vet and my pigs have never gone a day without vitamin C.

As @pinky as said, some pigs do no react to noise as most will. I have a boy that loves when I vacuum his cage out and will follow it and popcorn. All of the other pigs will run away the second they hear it.

losparanoias

Cavy Slave
I have a deaf pig and he happens to be all white. I am not sure if he a lethal or not but doesn't have any other signs that a lethal normally has. He is now 8+ months and is a very happy and healthy boy.

I am not sure going only a week would cause hearing issues- but then again I am not a vet and my pigs have never gone a day without vitamin C.

As @pinky as said, some pigs do no react to noise as most will. I have a boy that loves when I vacuum his cage out and will follow it and popcorn. All of the other pigs will run away the second they hear it.

your pig is so cute, mine is much like a cat, dont care what i am doing most of time, hope as @pinky said, my babe is just too independent

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
Espero q dios uds bendiga con todo. Si tienes preguntas, me puedes preguntar. O problemas con traduccion de castellano en ingles.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
@ losparanoias:
Estoy usando Google Translate.
¿Puede explicar los síntomas en español para que pueda traducirse está y ver si hay algo que puede haber pasado por alto cuando se fijó en eglish?
También en el momento en que te diste cuenta de la falta de audiencia era caliente fuera?

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
Wow...google translate has vastly improved...that was half decent Spanish :)

losparanoias

Cavy Slave
Espero q dios uds bendiga con todo. Si tienes preguntas, me puedes preguntar. O problemas con traduccion de castellano en ingles.

Muchas gracias!

losparanoias

Cavy Slave
@ losparanoias:
Estoy usando Google Translate.
¿Puede explicar los síntomas en español para que pueda traducirse está y ver si hay algo que puede haber pasado por alto cuando se fijó en eglish?
También en el momento en que te diste cuenta de la falta de audiencia era caliente fuera?

about five days, at first it just reacted slower than before, but it's getting worse, yesterday I found out it had no response to ANY NOISE:(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Are you sure it could ever hear?

Also, I'm not at all sure that a lack of vitamin C could cause those problems that quickly. What is the pig being fed? Be specific -- brand names, amounts, etc.

losparanoias

Cavy Slave
Are you sure it could ever hear?

Also, I'm not at all sure that a lack of vitamin C could cause those problems that quickly. What is the pig being fed? Be specific -- brand names, amounts, etc.

sure it could hear in the first 1-5 days, vet told me it's because a lack of VC. I check online over and over, there's not many disease can cause hearing problem, so I'm confused now, I don't remember if I did something wrong to it and can make it deaf.

brand name is Wittemolen country and some grass bought from the store, I start feed it vegetables and fruits from yesterday, as my vet advised. it's such a picky eater likes orange and tomato, but not the other vegetables, also it's the pig's food, it only eat some of them

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Has he been sneezing? Are his eyes watery? Is his nose wet? Is his head to one side? He could have an ear infection. Weigh him every day and see if he is gaining weight. Also remember he was probably not fed any vegetables before he came to you so he likely lacked Vitamin C for his whole life.

If a good vet has seen him has checked his ears and thinks he is alright, and he seems alright to you then do not worry to much many guinea pigs live very well with no hearing. Remember fruits are only to be fed once a week as a treat, but I am sure he will be fine with the orange until you can get him to eat other things.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Witte Molen isn't a very good guinea pig food. None of the major ingredients are those needed by guinea pigs (Corn, beans, wheat, barley, peas, sunflower seeds, sorghum, peanuts, Kadri, vitamin and mineral grains). You need a pellet that is mostly alfalfa hay, or if you can't find that, timothy hay. It needs to have stabilized vitamin C added to it, so pellets for rabbits are no good as they don't have that.

I doubt seriously that your guinea pig went deaf in five days. I think it's much more likely that it was deaf all along, and it just took you a few days to realize it. Guinea pigs "startle" at the least movement, and you could have interpreted its movements as being due to to noise when it was due to movement of something or someone in the room.

Also, there's nothing you could have done to make it deaf, so don't worry about that. Deaf guinea pigs are usually that way from birth -- there's not much else that can cause it. Sometimes very old guinea pigs seem to lose their hearing, but that's just part of getting older.

You'll have to teach the pig to eat vegetables. Pick one, preferably bell pepper (capsicum), and cut it in VERY TINY pieces. Sprinkle it over something that the pig will eat, like pellets. Do this for several days. It will get enough of the pepper by accident to get accustomed to the taste. Then you can feed pepper in larger pieces and start cutting up a new vegetable in tiny pieces.

It also shouldn't have a lot of fruit. Fruit has too much sugar in it for a guinea pig's digestion, so it should just be an occasional treat.

I'm not sure your vet is competent to treat guinea pigs. Blaming deafness and a problem with the lips on a lack of vitamin C just isn't logical. And many veterinarian text books, which are very outdated, say that lack of vitamin C causes a lot of illnesses. It's just not a common problem any more, and the text books haven't kept up. Can you find a vet that specializes in exotic pets (guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, ferrets, rabbits, etc.)? If so, I'd take the pig there for a second opinion.

losparanoias

Cavy Slave
Has he been sneezing? Are his eyes watery? Is his nose wet? Is his head to one side? He could have an ear infection. Weigh him every day and see if he is gaining weight. Also remember he was probably not fed any vegetables before he came to you so he likely lacked Vitamin C for his whole life.

If a good vet has seen him has checked his ears and thinks he is alright, and he seems alright to you then do not worry to much many guinea pigs live very well with no hearing. Remember fruits are only to be fed once a week as a treat, but I am sure he will be fine with the orange until you can get him to eat other things.

no sneezing, watery eyes or others. i take it to vet today, he said it looks ok and don't know what would cause that. but my pig still have a big problem with the lack of vitamin c, i'll try to solve that first by feeding it mixed juice as vet told me. as you said, whether it is deaf or not, i'll treat it with all my heart

losparanoias

Cavy Slave
Witte Molen isn't a very good guinea pig food. None of the major ingredients are those needed by guinea pigs (Corn, beans, wheat, barley, peas, sunflower seeds, sorghum, peanuts, Kadri, vitamin and mineral grains). You need a pellet that is mostly alfalfa hay, or if you can't find that, timothy hay. It needs to have stabilized vitamin C added to it, so pellets for rabbits are no good as they don't have that.

I doubt seriously that your guinea pig went deaf in five days. I think it's much more likely that it was deaf all along, and it just took you a few days to realize it. Guinea pigs "startle" at the least movement, and you could have interpreted its movements as being due to to noise when it was due to movement of something or someone in the room.

Also, there's nothing you could have done to make it deaf, so don't worry about that. Deaf guinea pigs are usually that way from birth -- there's not much else that can cause it. Sometimes very old guinea pigs seem to lose their hearing, but that's just part of getting older.

You'll have to teach the pig to eat vegetables. Pick one, preferably bell pepper (capsicum), and cut it in VERY TINY pieces. Sprinkle it over something that the pig will eat, like pellets. Do this for several days. It will get enough of the pepper by accident to get accustomed to the taste. Then you can feed pepper in larger pieces and start cutting up a new vegetable in tiny pieces.

It also shouldn't have a lot of fruit. Fruit has too much sugar in it for a guinea pig's digestion, so it should just be an occasional treat.

I'm not sure your vet is competent to treat guinea pigs. Blaming deafness and a problem with the lips on a lack of vitamin C just isn't logical. And many veterinarian text books, which are very outdated, say that lack of vitamin C causes a lot of illnesses. It's just not a common problem any more, and the text books haven't kept up. Can you find a vet that specializes in exotic pets (guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, ferrets, rabbits, etc.)? If so, I'd take the pig there for a second opinion.

FIRST THANK YOU FOR HELPING A LOT.

i just found out the hay i buy for my babe is not alfalfa hay, bloody businessman! i thought it was! it's totally my fault, I should be more careful. should i stop feeding it Witte Molen? anyway, i'll go buy something right tomorrow.

maybe you got it right about deafness, maybe that is just my illusion. I go to vet today, he said he don't know what can cause deafness as everything seems alright. but he guess that is because the swollen skin of ears caused by lack of vitamin c, hope he is right. as you said, there's not much else can cause it.

also my babe have a seriously illness of its lips, my vet asked me to give it doxycycline to diminish inflammation, and also asked to fed it mixed juice of fruits and vegetables with injector. babe seems good now after drinking some juice, it likes it a lot. also i'll try to feed it some bell pepper, it could take a long time because it's a picky eater.

i'll keeping doing that for 3-4 days to see if it's getting better, if not, maybe i'll try another vet.

anyway, MUCHAS GRACIAS!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.