Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? Next step to take? Lonely guinea pig.

ashlynm

Cavy Slave
I have 3 guinea pigs who I recently adopted. 2 girls and one boy. I have the girls in a separate cage than the boy. Should I get him a friend or get him neutered and put them 3 together? I heard boys are harder to bond with other boys but I also heard putting them three together might not work and they might fight. I’m just curious what next step to take.

You could really do either or. How old is the little man?

I have never had a problem bonding boars, but I've always taken the time to do it right. The easiest thing as far as bonding goes, would be to have him neutered and introduce him to the girls. He would definitely be happy that way, but he would have to be separated from them for a good four weeks before he could be introduced to them.

He is about 8 months old. The girls are about 5 months old. I could neuter him, I’m just not sure about the cost of that. Do you have any experience in neutering?

He is about 8 months old. The girls are about 5 months old. I could neuter him, I’m just not sure about the cost of that. Do you have any experience in neutering?

No, unfortunately. I've only ever had boars so I've never needed to. There are however plenty of members here who have had the procedure done, and could hopefully offer you advice. At 8 months old he is of sufficient age to have the procedure.

If you do have him neutered, make sure you take him to a cavy savvy vet. Definitely do NOT go to a small animal vet. Small animal is dog and cat, and they know little to nothing about guinea pigs.

Vet prices and procedures can very widely even in the same city, so the best thing you can do is find an exotic vet who has experience with neutering boars, and inquire about their prices.

Okay, thank you for the advice!

I don't know if you live in the US, but if you do you can go to Scotty's Animals on Youtube and he has a list of exotic veterinarians from each state. These are veterinarians that guinea pig owners have used and been pleased with them. He doesn't recommend them but he does provide the names for you to do your own research.

Ok, thanks! I do live in the US so that’s super helpful thank you!

@ashlynm. I just wanted to add that once you go to Scotty's Youtube channel you need to scroll down to his video from October 2, 2019 to find that list.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.