Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rehoming Seriously considering rehoming.. have some questions.

Coughingcolours

Cavy Slave
Ill start off by saying that I don't necessarily WANT to rehome my girls, but I feel like I have to..
I have been having a lot of trouble on the monetary side of things. I tend to go without a lot of things that I really need, so they can eat and be comfortable and healthy.. and that's starting to affect my health, mostly mental health..
Which causes me to not spend much time with them... except for feedings/cleanings because I feel obligated because I DO love them. Its just getting to be very hard on me.

I am constantly flagging adds on CL about people trying to sell pig they just don't want or care for to just anyone and i DO NOT want to do that to my girls. I want them to go to a good home and be well cared for, someone on this site if possible.. with PROPER info on cavies. However, would it be wrong to ask for a little bit of money for all their supplies? They have so much, that cost so much and Im not saying I want full price for anything, by any means. Just a little something to help myself get by? But maybe that's unfair..

Anyway, i have no idea how to go about this.. I have 3 wonderful, healthy sows that need a better home, and I have no vehicle right now..

Thanks for reading.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I think it's always a good idea to ask for a rehoming fee for the piggies. As for the accessories, sometimes people already have their own so you might have to sell them separately but it also depends on what you are trying to sell... cage, fleece, hideys etc.

sugarandspice

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I would ask for a rehoming fee, too. If this is going to help you in the long run then rehome them to a nice home.

But honestly, I wouldn't want a stranger to come to my house. I would want to meet at a public house. I don't think they would want to go to your house either. Safety first.

sugarandspice

Cavy Slave
*public area

sorry can't edit my post.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I would definitely ask for a rehoming fee to eliminate people with less than stellar intentions. I think I paid $30 for Amy on Craigslist, and that was with a lot of supplies, like food, grids, water bottles, and a pet store cage. That was about the going rate for pet store pigs, and you don't get supplies with those, so I was happy to pay it for a piggy who legitimately needed rehoming.

Ask the person for contact information (and check it out) and see if they're willing to provide an update. I offered to send photos to Amy's former owners, but they weren't interested. An adopter with your pig's best interests in mind should be willing to do that.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
You could put a post up on GuineaPigZone or petfinder.com I hope it gets better for you and your girls. I do want to ask why your flagging Craig List ads that are just people trying to find a home for their piggies? I understand flagging breeder ads but not the ones that are just trying to rehome. This could cause a piggy to be dumped outside because the persons ad was taken down. If your concerned that they will end up snake food, then wouldn't sending an e-mail to the poster explaining your concerns be more beneficial for the pigs?

sugarandspice

Cavy Slave
You could put a post up on GuineaPigZone or petfinder.com I hope it gets better for you and your girls.

I think petfinder.com is only for rescues and shelters, but I am not exactly sure. GuineaPigZone is a good idea, though.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I think petfinder.com is only for rescues and shelters, but I am not exactly sure. GuineaPigZone is a good idea, though.

If you have an established relationship with a shelter or rescue, they might do a courtesy listing for you.

Coughingcolours

Cavy Slave
You could put a post up on GuineaPigZone or petfinder.com I hope it gets better for you and your girls. I do want to ask why your flagging Craig List ads that are just people trying to find a home for their piggies? I understand flagging breeder ads but not the ones that are just trying to rehome. This could cause a piggy to be dumped outside because the persons ad was taken down. If your concerned that they will end up snake food, then wouldn't sending an e-mail to the poster explaining your concerns be more beneficial for the pigs?

I do mean breeders, sorry. Mostly its people that breed and just don't want them anymore.

I will definitely try guineapigzone, that's a good idea. There are no shelters in the Duluth area to my knowledge. Thanks everyone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.