Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece Drying and Washing Questions

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
When the fleece is new, and I wash 3x, can I let it dry naturally? I don't have a tumble dryer at home.

Also, should I wash the fleece separately to normal washing? I know everyone says it's a cheap bedding but surely the washing and electricity bills will go up?

Not compared to bedding. I found bedding dirty, dusty, and EXPENSIVE! Fleece is way cheaper. It is more work but in my opinion it is sooooooooo worth it. Yes you can let it air dry, thats probably better anyway because then it doesn't get all full of static which is a problem I have.

You should wash your fleece seperately unless you want some fur on your regular laundry. Air drying is fine. I don't think doing an extra load of laundry a week from fleece will make a huge impact on your electricity bill, but I don't live in the UK.

Thanks, fleece sounds like it should work out for me!

Wash it separate! A lot of the time hay and fur will stick the the fleece. It'll get on your cloths if you wash it together. Also, you can't use detergent on piggy stuff. I understand that sometimes they start to smell a little funny so if they start to smell bad I wash them in baby detergent and than wash them another 3 times with no detergent to get the detergent out.

Not sure where you got that idea, but it isn't so. How in the world do you propose to get things clean? Very few people can afford to wash the items 3-4 times, and quite frankly it isn't necessary.

I wash piggy items the same way that I wash my clothes.......warm water, unscented detergent, and with a small amount of Oxy-Clean (light colored items). Set the washer for a second rinse and add a cup or so of white vinegar to the final rinse. And, of course, dry without fabric softener or a dryer sheet.

I've talked to a bunch of people who have had piggies their whole lives.

I don't do the 3 times wash method every time I clean the blankets. Water is usually enough. But after a while it does start to smell a little funny. I'd say I only use detergent about once a month. I was my blankets every week. (I almost wrote "wheek" instead of "week" haha!)

I use dye-free, scent free, hypo-allergenic detergent on the fleece. Same as I use on the human laundry. I wash them on warm, gentle cycle and dry in the dryer on delicate. Sometimes I have to put them through the dryer cycle twice, because some of the pieces are more heavily constructed, but I've never had an issue with doing just one wash cycle. No smell, no pilling, no shrinking, pigs are happy.

Definitely do them separately from your clothes. Doesn't matter how much I shake, comb, or scrape there is always a bit of hair and now and again some rebellious poo that hid itself and ends up in the washer. Or manages to make it into the dryer trap ....

Also I do about 4-5 loads of fleece per week, and my water bill hasn't gone up. Harder to tell with electric because our air conditioning runs on electric and that varies a lot, but it doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference.

Well, it was either the detergent or the white vinegar, or possibly both but it helped the fleece wick the moisture through when washing it with nothing kept the fleece repelling any water.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I just put Broccoli on his new fleece and he seemed to like it :) Well, if he wasn't purring about the fleece I don't know what he was purring at!

My wife washes the GP cage fleece and other items in the family washing machine but not with our clothes. However, hairs seem to stay in the machine and get all over my clothes. She has tried a laundry bag but it didn't work. She has said she will run a rinse cycle with an empty machine before she does my clothes but it is driving me mad; what can I do?

My wife washes the GP cage fleece and other items in the family washing machine but not with our clothes. However, hairs seem to stay in the machine and get all over my clothes. She has tried a laundry bag but it didn't work. She has said she will run a rinse cycle with an empty machine before she does my clothes but it is driving me mad; what can I do?

For starters you can stop being so uptight about hair on your clothes. Hair will get on them when you handle your Pigs anyway so there is no sense in flipping out about it. :D

It doesn't really matter and there isn't much you can do to keep hair off of your clothes. Try a lint roller I guess.

Yeah, the sticky paper rolls are amazing! Got mine from H&M :)

I wash my guinea pig bedding with unscented laundry detergent and a cup of vinegar in the heavy duty wash cycle. Works well for me. I make sure there's no hay in there or it can clog your drain if you don't use lint traps. Hair is never an issue in my washer. It collects in the dryer screen.

I've talked to a bunch of people who have had piggies their whole lives.

I don't do the 3 times wash method every time I clean the blankets. Water is usually enough. But after a while it does start to smell a little funny. I'd say I only use detergent about once a month. I was my blankets every week. (I almost wrote "wheek" instead of "week" haha!)

I wash my blankets every week with my regular detergent and add in a cup of white vinegar. It doesn't smell and have had no issues with anything. This is the information that I got from the piggie bed spread website. Works great for us!

I wash mine with my vegan natural soap. I use a free and clean soap since I am allergic to the world i use this it is a coconut oil based soap, works great and my piggy does not even sneeze anymore. Also switching to fleece will save me over $500 a year over the carefresh I was using (that includes washing the fleece and the soap and buying newspapers, and washing at the laundrymat) I am SOOOOOO glad I found this place becuase I never would have thought of fleece.

For starters you can stop being so uptight about hair on your clothes. Hair will get on them when you handle your Pigs anyway so there is no sense in flipping out about it. :D

Given that you know little of my personal circumstances [i.e. I do not handle the GPs, they belong to my daughter] I find your comment offensive, despite your use of a smiley. I also work in a job which requires me to look tidy when dealing with people and not have hairs on my clothes.

Thanks to others who were more constructive.

Over here in the US, me and hubby only saw the electric bill rise by maybe $2-3.

Given that you know little of my personal circumstances [i.e. I do not handle the GPs, they belong to my daughter] I find your comment offensive, despite your use of a smiley. I also work in a job which requires me to look tidy when dealing with people and not have hairs on my clothes.

I am truly sorry that you were offended. You are correct, since they aren't your pigs, I can see how the constant issues with the hair would be an issue for you. I would like to make a suggestion, if I may? I think that doing a cycle of with just a towel or a blanket may help. After you've done the washing for the pigs, run the wash with an item that is not overly important to you. Then you can run it through the dryer and hopefully it will attract any stray hairs that are left behind from the guinea pigs. I hope this helps.

You will always have hair on your clothes. Be it your hair, a customer's stray hair blown by AC, etc, etc. The best thing you can do is keep a lint brush or roll handy.

My clothes come in contact with SEVERAL animal hairs on a daily basis. From horse hair, to cow, goats, guinea pigs, dogs and cats. I have a lint roller and brush in my vehicle and when I step out to a professional environment I do through brush/rolls on myself.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.