Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Are there Coupons for KMS Hayloft?

chas25

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know of any coupons for KMS Hayloft? I'd like to get some pellets from them but the shipping is too expensive ($16 dollars which is more expensive than the pellets themselves). I don't want to use Oxbow anymore because of the calcium (at least one of my piggies is sensitive to that, I can't feed romaine lettuce or their urine is white). If not can I order KMS from anywhere else or is there another pellet food with a better source of calcium?

You might want to see if there are any other members near you who would like to order in bulk then you could split the bill?

If you add the cost of the shipping and the pellets together and calculate the cost per pound, you are still paying less than store bought Oxbow pellets. The cost of store bought pellets has the shipping cost factored in. KMS pellets are very reasonable per pound. You can check out Sweet Meadow timothy pellets (online) and see what the cost per pound would be for you. I've ordered them in the past and it was cheaper than KMS but my guinea pigs prefer KMS pellets so I continue to buy them. I order 50 lbs at a time and store the extra in a cool place.

If you figure out the cost per pound of the KMS pellets and the Oxbow pellets, I'll pretty much guarantee you that KMS will be same or cheaper.

You pay shipping on anything you buy in any store, any where, even if they say "free shipping." They've just added the shipping costs into the price of the item. It's why things on the internet often seem so much cheaper than in the store -- they don't have to add shipping into the price there. But if you look at the cost of KMS pellets ONLY, they're WAAAAYYY cheaper than store-bought pellets.

I have two other friends with guinea pigs. We buy 50 pound bags, split the bill, and split the food up amongst ourselves (it would take us forever to go through 50 lbs and we don't really have the room for it all..

A 50 lb Bag of Timothy Choice Pellets costs $32-Shipping to my house costs about $35. That's $67 for 50 pounds of pellets. If we split the bill we each pay about $22 and change, and we each get about 16.5 lbs of food. Which is more than enough.
When there isn't a sale going on, Petsmart charges about $15 for 5 lbs of Oxbow food. That's $3 dollars a pound, and is an expense I am not willing to pay. The KMS on the other hand costs me $1.34 per lb. I pay less and get more.

You live about 20 minutes away from my house, assume the shipping is about the same. If you buy Oxbow now, I am sure it is in your budget to buy KMS.

I have two other friends with guinea pigs. We buy 50 pound bags, split the bill, and split the food up amongst ourselves (it would take us forever to go through 50 lbs and we don't really have the room for it all..

A 50 lb Bag of Timothy Choice Pellets costs $32-Shipping to my house costs about $35. That's $67 for 50 pounds of pellets. If we split the bill we each pay about $22 and change, and we each get about 16.5 lbs of food. Which is more than enough.
When there isn't a sale going on, Petsmart charges about $15 for 5 lbs of Oxbow food. That's $3 dollars a pound, and is an expense I am not willing to pay. The KMS on the other hand costs me $1.34 per lb. I pay less and get more.

You live about 20 minutes away from my house, assume the shipping is about the same. If you buy Oxbow now, I am sure it is in your budget to buy KMS.

50 lbs of pellets really doesn't take up a lot of space. I repackage them into gallon sized freezer bags and store them in a Rubbermaid tub. I keep them in an armoire in the lower level of my house where it's cool.

Yeah I'm ordering a 50 pound bag and will be putting it in a bin. It comes out cheaper even though the shipping is the same amount as the food. I also think it is a better food.

50 lbs of pellets really doesn't take up a lot of space. I repackage them into gallon sized freezer bags and store them in a Rubbermaid tub. I keep them in an armoire in the lower level of my house where it's cool.
Believe me I know. But I am not out of the house so my parents have a say. And they say no big bags. 20 pounds is the max that they say they will let me have at a time. And with one piggie we don't go through it terribly fast.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.