Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Red/irritated nipple?

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
Tonight I noticed that Bert's right nipple is red/purple. It does not appear enlarged or swollen and he made no protest when I touched it. Does this definitely warrant a vet visit? That will make the 3rd one this month >.<

Red/irritated nipple?

Attachments

IMG_20130108_005637.jpg

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
Just bumping this back up. There is no lump or discharge..could this be a very early mammary tumor?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
So this is different than it looks normally?

I would just monitor it. If it begins to swell, the color spreads, or there's discharge, definitely take him in.

Digital_Dad

Cavy Slave
Try putting some Bag Balm on it once a day for a week and see if it clears up.
That stuff works wonders for skin issues!

BubuCandyBlue

Cavy Slave
Tonight I noticed that Bert's right nipple is red/purple. It does not appear enlarged or swollen and he made no protest when I touched it. Does this definitely warrant a vet visit? That will make the 3rd one this month >.<

My piggy did have a mammary tumor removed and it grew like in a matter of a week, so super fast in our case. But it looked a bit swollen/lumpy, felt warm to touch, but there was no discharge. It was early stage.
Just monitor it to make sure it is not perhaps an irritation or just a natural darker coloring of their nipple (just like human diversity), but if you notice anything of the above, then go to the vet.

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
So this is different than it looks normally?

I would just monitor it. If it begins to swell, the color spreads, or there's discharge, definitely take him in.

Yes, when I looked at his nipples originally they were both light pink, same color. I'll keep a close eye on it. Thanks!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Check over at Guinea Lynx and you will see it's not recommended.

Digital_Dad

Cavy Slave
Ok I have questions now? after a bit of research I have found that it is not toxic, a call to poison control and to the Vermonts headquarters say no it is not toxic and i was not able to find it listed in dangerous or even medications on GL? Poison control said it would be no worse than digesting vaseline? It is used on babies and on cow udders and gets into the milk we drink, so we digest it all the time in small amounts. And I found no information on it being toxic other than a few people saying so? Do you have any links to data showing the dangers or maybe to GL where they say not to use it? I do not mean to be pushy but I use this stuff a lot and would like to see the dangers, Thank you foggycreekcavy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.