Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Is it time to separate my boys? :(

mama_

Cavy Slave
Michael and Jordan have been "frenemies" since I brought them home in November. They were supposed to be a "bonded pair" but they are far from it. They are 14 months old and their fighting has only been increasing. I decided to enlarge their cage (originally a 2x4 with a 1x2 loft) to a triple leveled mansion. There is a bottom 2x4 and a very top 2x4 (identical to each other) with a middle 1x3 level for getting in between the 1st and 3rd floor. I figured this would give them the space they needed from each other but also the opportunity to still see each other when they wanted. Their fighting was never very physical just very verbal...until this weekend. They were chasing each other around the cage NONSTOP and wrestling around and are very, very upset with each other. Michael has a cut on his nostril from Jordan and so far, that's the only damage I can see. I've temporarily separated them just so they can calm down but I don't know if I should make this a permanent solution or not. There is literally NEVER a time in which they get along. I've tried hand feeding them both the same lettuce piece so they will have to share. I've made sure there are ample hideys and plenty of duplicates of stuff to minimize fighting. I'm really scared about their fighting and don't want it to increase. Is separation the appropriate response?

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Well, instead of building up could you build out? I don't know if having a larger bottom would make things better or what. Moderators please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

mama_

Cavy Slave
Well, instead of building up could you build out? I don't know if having a larger bottom would make things better or what. Moderators please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

Unfortunately I don't have the option of building OUT. The cage is right next to the mantle which keeps me from expanding the width and the entertainment unit is next to it which keeps me from expanding the length.

Is it time to separate my boys? :(

This is the cage right after I had changed/expanded it. They have ramps to get between the two main levels and each level is identical (same igloo, food bowl, water bottle, chew toys, etc).

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Oh. ok. I see now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.