Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sexing might be keeping two, but need help with determing gender first

WC0304

Cavy Slave
Two of my guinea pigs had babies, so we have seven. I plan to find new homes for most of them, but there are two we are considering keeping. I will be keeping one no matter what, and we may keep the other, depending on gender. These are the two we will/might keep. While I'll need to figure out the gender of all the pigs by 3 weeks to separate and then later to rehome them, right now I'm mainly concerned with these two, so I can figure out if we'll be keeping one or both. I don't want to get too attached to the one if I already know I can't keep him/her!

I'm no expert on sexing guinea pigs, so I thought I'd ask here, as I'm sure many of you have much more experience with this than I do. I promise I tried to take the best pictures I could, but I had nobody to help me, so taking the time to zoom or position or anything like that just wasn't there.

might be keeping two, but need help with determing gender first

Edit: Got the other to upload!

might be keeping two, but need help with determing gender first

Last edited:

WC0304

Cavy Slave
I can't get the other one to post for some reason :( Well, help with that one?

MAndPAreMyPigs

Cavy Slave
I'm no expert but it looks like a girl to me.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
They both look like girls to me - although not 100% sure on the second one but am pretty sure!

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
The first one is a girl, the second one is a boy in my opinion.

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I know for sure they are both girls because of the Y shape, if they were boys it would be an i shape! I have volunteered at five different rescue centres and they are both girls

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
They look like girls to me to

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
I think they are both ladies!

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Yup!! For definite!!

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
I personally would keep double checking the second one, its not as "Y" shaped as the first and looks like my male pigs parts.

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I disagree, the Y is quite defined!! Actually! Not to start a fight but it IS and I have a lot of experience!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
I disagree, the Y is quite defined!! Actually! Not to start a fight but it IS and I have a lot of experience!

Everyone has the right to their own opinion - Just because you're 'sure' that it's a male doesn't mean that it is, It's harder to sex a guinea via a picture than it is in real life as the way the picture is taken can make it look slightly different.

I agree with double checking the second one, while it doesn't 'scream' male to me It also doesn't 'scream' female.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Personally, they both look female to me in those pictures. But guinea pig's genitals can be very hard to determine, plenty of guinea pigs have 'inbetween' genitals that don't seem to favour either gender. One of my girls looks similar to some boys parts, but she's definitely a girl. And by the same principal, plenty of young 'boy' pups have turned out to be girls.

If it where me, I'd be double checking both of them every few days until I reached the three week mark. You never know what's going to develop down there that you might not see if you don't double check. You should never just look once and take that as set in stone when you're sexing pups.

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I know and I'm sorry, I Did try to say that I'm not being hostile, but I think the best thing would be to wait and watch them pee or something, because when my male peed on me his "doo daa" came out, as I had to clean him off as well and before I even touched him it was out, so maybe it comes out when they pee..

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Yes, that's very true!!

WC0304

Cavy Slave
If it where me, I'd be double checking both of them every few days until I reached the three week mark. You never know what's going to develop down there that you might not see if you don't double check. You should never just look once and take that as set in stone when you're sexing pups.

I definitely will be checking them all a few times before the three week mark, we don't need anymore babies! I was just curious as to what you guys thought. Since the first day I've been convinced the runt (top pic) was a girl. With the other (the one we'll keep either way), I thought it was a boy the first day, but then I was looking and thought well, I sorta see a Y, so then I wasn't sure.

Maybe later if I need to ask for help with the others, I'll post pics of this little one again, in cse it's more obvious then. So far I only see one boy that I'm sure of in the whole lot, but who really knows, they're all so squirmy still.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
Try pushing very gently right at the top of the genital region if you feel a ridge or can express a penis you've got a boy.

WC0304

Cavy Slave
Try pushing very gently right at the top of the genital region if you feel a ridge or can express a penis you've got a boy.

I don't feel anything on any of them. And they'd be very small at this point still, no? Would it really even stick out? Plus they're very squirmy, it's hard to pin down their four limbs enough to have a hand free for that. I did try the pushing thing on one of the ones I believe is a boy, and the bump appeared to sort of come out a bit, but I have no idea if that was actually a penis extruding, or just me making the skin move.

For me, the issue is that I see a bit of a 'Y' shape on all of them, but some of them are more well defined than others. The 'i' shape that is. So maybe they're boys and because they're not grown yet, the shape's not really there? I have no idea. And on some of them (as described above), I see what appears to be a bump up top, but I don't know if that's actually a penis or not. Sorry if I sound really stupid, but I have no experience with this. The only boar I've ever seen is an adult, and he had that 'doughnut' look about him already so that made it obvious. The babies, nothing's obvious to me. I have seen some pics online of baby boy pigs, but to me, a lot of those are kind of obvious, and others, I wouldn't guess it was a boy at all.

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
OK, maybe get them checked out by a few different vets, other than that, all you can do it wait and see!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
You can't really 'wait and see' with sexing pups, that's how you end up with even more pups.

If you aren't sure by week 3, you'll have to keep all the ones you aren't sure about separately to avoid another pregnancy. Maybe try and get a family member or friend to hold the pigs down while you try to extrude the penis?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.