Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Semi-important. (different breeds in one cage)

canadianxehh

Cavy Slave
Here's the jist of things..

i have 2 boy guinea pigs and 2 girl guinea pigs.

i am going to buy a package of grids that includes 23 grids by 24 connectors.

My plan for now is to do a 3 x 7 cage.
The measurements are:
inches - 96.6 long x 41.4 wide
feet - 8.05 long x 3.45 wide

What i'm concerned about is that if i make it two cages, it will be 55.2 inches long by 41.4 wide
and then the other side will be 41.4 inches by 41.4 inches.

The main question, is CAN I PUT MY TWO MALES AND FEMALES IN THE CAGE TOGETHER, IF THEY ARE SEPARATED BY 3 GRIDS?

i will post a picture of my idea, later - and see what people give me for advice.

I've heard that you can have them in the same cage but separated by the divider, but I've also heard that some can commit the deed through grids. I don't know exactly what you mean by three grids, though. A wall length of three grids? Or all of them stacked/staggered? Would it be triple width, or simply longer? It would really help if I saw a picture.
But, as I said, it would seem all right to me. There have been some known to (owners, I mean) divide them by grids and still house them together. There would have to be something in place to make sure the males cannot get the females pregnant in any way. Through the grids is still possible, unless you set them up properly.
Good luck, sorry if I didn't help much :p

Are your boys neutered? If they are you can put them in with the girls in one big cage.

Even if the boys are neutered they will fight over the girls. And I would have coro up the sides as i have read that they can do the deed even if they are blocked.

If you put a GOOD, TIGHT lid on the male side you can put them in the same one. But if you've got unneutered animals, rest assured that they can and will climb to get to each other, and you'll have unexpected pups running around if you don't confine them. I know of one male guinea pig that climbed TWO grids to get to the females...

Are your boys neutered? If they are you can put them in with the girls in one big cage.

Sorry stupid question!! I think it would be fine if your boars were in the bigger bit, and they had lots of toys to keep them occupied and away from trying to get to your sows.

If you put a coroplast wall on the divider, they will be fine. A lid over top the males cage is a good idea too.

I've heard that you can have them in the same cage but separated by the divider, but I've also heard that some can commit the deed through grids. I don't know exactly what you mean by three grids, though. A wall length of three grids? Or all of them stacked/staggered? Would it be triple width, or simply longer? It would really help if I saw a picture.
But, as I said, it would seem all right to me. There have been some known to (owners, I mean) divide them by grids and still house them together. There would have to be something in place to make sure the males cannot get the females pregnant in any way. Through the grids is still possible, unless you set them up properly.
Good luck, sorry if I didn't help much :p

Well, as i had said above, the cage will be 7 grids long and 3 grids wide. After that is built, i will have 3 extra grids. and i was just thinking about connecting them to the sides, so its a wall in between them. If it were okay for them to be together with the wall, i was going to put some type of fleece on both sides of that wall, so they can't get to each other in any way.

No, they are not neutered. I plan on using them to breed in the future.

Even if the boys are neutered they will fight over the girls. And I would have coro up the sides as i have read that they can do the deed even if they are blocked.

Yes, i plan on putting a type of fleece up for now, and then when i find a store that actually sells coroplast, i will put that on the sides and the bottom.

If you put a GOOD, TIGHT lid on the male side you can put them in the same one. But if you've got unneutered animals, rest assured that they can and will climb to get to each other, and you'll have unexpected pups running around if you don't confine them. I know of one male guinea pig that climbed TWO grids to get to the females...

Aww, see i'm a sucker for pups, but 1) i don't want my males getting hurt in any way and 2) i don't want twice as many pups as i would usually have at one time.

If they can touch, they can breed. We had a mare who aborted a foal about 13 years ago. The mare had not been out with anything but mares for at least 3 years. The pen we worked our show string in was next to the mares, and sometimes I would let horses lose in there while cleaning stalls, etc.. The only thing we can think is one of the stallions bred her through the fence. I have heard of this happening at other farms.

If you put a coroplast wall on the divider, they will be fine. A lid over top the males cage is a good idea too.

Okay, so maybe i will wait on buying the grids. That way i can buy 2 packages of them and have enough to go over the top of the boys.

What some people have done in the past with just grid dividers is they put a grid over the top on the male side. SO for example:

If your making a 2x8 cages and dividing it to a 2x4 for each, the middle 2 grid divider would have two grids on the top of the divider on the male's side. This means if they do climb the grid they would have to hand upside down the climb the other two grids.

Here is a photo of something you should not do:
Semi-important. (different breeds in one cage)

You see the items next to the girds, those can be climbed onto and hopped over by the guinea pig. So keep anything away from the sides like that, igloos too. And both sides, not just the male's side.

Also, guinea pigs can not breed through the grids. They are too high for them to bend over and hug like they do when they breed. They can climb over them and breed, but not with the grids in front of them.

Also, guinea pigs can not breed through the grids. They are too high for them to bend over and hug like they do when they breed. They can climb over them and breed, but not with the grids in front of them.

yeah the lil guys can not stretch that far to the females throu the dividers.

No, they are not neutered. I plan on using them to breed in the future.

Please do not do this. There are a thousand reasons not to breed guinea pigs, and they've been covered in exhausting detail in numerous threads on this forum. There are many, many unwanted guinea pigs in shelters and rescues all across this country and many others who deserve good homes. Please don't add to the pig overpopulation.

Ditto bpatters.

This is an anti-breeding forum, so you wont find many people here who will like the idea of your future breeding.

No no no no!! Please do not breed them!! You need to go and research VERY carefully why this is not a good idea...
And this is an anti-breeding forum.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.