Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Searching for our Cavies

@GGXmommy, I hope you're right about what your kids would and wouldn't do. But I sure wouldn't bet on it. We came very close to losing one of our pigs when our nine-year-old took one out of the cage when a visiting dog was in the room. Did she absolutely know she shouldn't do it? Yes. Had she ever done it before? No. Had she ever caught one of the pigs by herself before? No, they had never let her. The pig came and climbed into her hand, she picked up, the dog lunged, she dropped the pig, the dog snapped, and missed the pig by a whisker -- came away with a mouthful of pig hair, but thankfully nothing else. The pig was ok, the kid was terrified, embarrassed, and scared to death.

Your kids are young yet. But never bet the farm on what they will or won't do. They'll make a liar out of you every time! LOL.

@GGXmommy , I hope you're right about what your kids would and wouldn't do. But I sure wouldn't bet on it. We came very close to losing one of our pigs when our nine-year-old took one out of the cage when a visiting dog was in the room. Did she absolutely know she shouldn't do it? Yes. Had she ever done it before? No. Had she ever caught one of the pigs by herself before? No, they had never let her. The pig came and climbed into her hand, she picked up, the dog lunged, she dropped the pig, the dog snapped, and missed the pig by a whisker -- came away with a mouthful of pig hair, but thankfully nothing else. The pig was ok, the kid was terrified, embarrassed, and scared to death.

Your kids are young yet. But never bet the farm on what they will or won't do. They'll make a liar out of you every time! LOL.

I'm looking to adopt two animals not two children. You are worse than the ad epartment of Social Services. Are you coming to check my house next or make sure my kids are up to date on their vaccinations? They are cavies. Let's not get rediculous here. People on this forum are narrow minded. If you don't have a C&C cage or fleece than you are pretty much unfit to own guinea pigs. I'm a grown adult and my children are not vicious animals. I thought this forum would help but no thanks!

Do you find that you are left with a lot of fur in your washer? I've read that it's practically impossible to remove it completely from the fleece.
Thanks Pigie Pig I will look into that.
I'm in NH. Any ideas on where I can adopt two female guinea pigs? I'm not too far from MA.

see www.petfinder.com

I'm looking to adopt two animals not two children. You are worse than the ad epartment of Social Services. Are you coming to check my house next or make sure my kids are up to date on their vaccinations? They are cavies. Let's not get rediculous here. People on this forum are narrow minded. If you don't have a C&C cage or fleece than you are pretty much unfit to own guinea pigs. I'm a grown adult and my children are not vicious animals. I thought this forum would help but no thanks!

Seriously? You're being a tad dramatic. Nobody said that your children were vicious. Young children are unpredictable. That's just the way it is. As a mother, I'm surprised that you disagree with that.

GGXmommy Do what you think is best, you know your children! I had a piggy when I was 7 or 8 an it was drummed into me and my 5 year old sister that we were not allowed to pick them up or open the cage. We only held them when mum put them on our knees, or we sat with them and petted tgem as they ran round the floor.
You sound like you have everything well researched and as long as you are willing to supervise your children when having piggie time like my mum did with me you will be fine!
Maybe get a stand to put the cage on so it's harder for your littler ones to reach?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.