Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Should they live Together?

Nicks Pigs

Cavy Slave
Today I had to give all the piggies a bath. I decided to try the buddy bath to see if my lone pig would tolerate living with my trio. Everything went well with the bath, so I decdied to put them in a play pen together. Normal behavior. The only thing I am worried about is that my lone pig is chasing the others and being really protective of his corner. He only lets one other piggy sit with him, yet he still is a little dominental of the corner. Should I keep him with my trio or should I Seperate them. Also, another thing is one of my piggies is acting up towards another.

How old are the pigs?

How big is the cage?

What do you mean by "is acting up towards another?"

when you say lone pig...does that mean that you have tried him in with the trio before or with another pig?
I have heard this has worked before but only on VERY RARE occassions. Most trio's work but adding more than three boars
isn't usually accomplished. Those that did on the very rare occassions had to have LOTS of space (way more than the norm)
In my experience you can do this easily with sows but not boars. I have failed at this twice. My options then were to seperate the happy trio & divide two in two or get the loner a very young friend. I couldn't break up my happy trio so I opt to get him a friend & well...that's another story(lol)
He is still a loner today~Good Luck to you!

From the way you describe the lone pig, I think it's best if you keep them separate. It sounds like the loner prefers being alone for the most part. However, it might be a good idea to let them have supervised playtime together again to see how they continue to behave.

At the moment, all three of them are in the cage that they will hopefully live in forever! The cage is a 3x4. It is the best I can do for them, my bedroom is not that big. Plus, I share the room with my brother. I have the quarantine cage set up next to the cage, in case I need to separate immediately.

@chloej Play dates are never a good idea as it serves no purpose for them and only stresses them all out as they have to refigure out whose boss pig every time they are separated then put back together.

@chloej Play dates are never a good idea as it serves no purpose for them and only stresses them all out as they have to refigure out whose boss pig every time they are separated then put back together.
Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for setting me straight. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.