Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Piggy chewing on metal cage!

Kambesh

Cavy Gazer
Please help! I have 3 piggys , 2 adults and a. 2 month old baby. I have the two males in one cage and the female in a seperate. The cages are next to each other. The adukt male constantly gnaws on the cage! Its so irritating! Ive done everything ive read about to make him stop but it never does! He wakes me up in the middle of the night and goes forever. Ive given him hay and toilet paper rolls to play with, he has a friend in with him and he gets fed regularly of course. But he eats everything and never just plays with it.
Does anyone know why hes doing this? How can i make him stop?!

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
Is he trying to get to the female? Is there a way you can move her farther away and see if that helps?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yep, move the female at least to the other side of the room, and maybe to another room.

You can also keep them from chewing bars by putting plexiglass along the inside of the cage wall.

Kambesh

Cavy Gazer
Is he trying to get to the female? Is there a way you can move her farther away and see if that helps?

That makes since ! I took them out together and he tried hoping right on her ! Shes already pregnant for the second time. I had to pry him off. Thanks guys!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Why are you taking them out together? It takes two seconds, literally, for guinea pig to mate.

Do you know about the genetic diseases that guinea pigs have? That cause lifelong pain in those that have osteodystrophy? Or that the lethal white ones are born blind, deaf, with missing or wonky teeth, and need YEARS of expensive vet care? Do you know that the death rate for guinea pig sows and pups is high? And that sows having litters back-ro-back are more likely to die, and to have pups born deformed or dead?

Please do NOT put your pigs together. Keep the males separate from the females, permanently.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.