Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy pregnant piggies with some Questions

Sugarbaby83

Cavy Slave
So We Adopted our little piggies off of craigs list 2 females they were 2 months old when we got them. When we went to pick them up they were housed with there brother, I asked the lady if there was any chance that they could be pregnant and she said no way they were way to young.. So we thought nothing of it and brought our little piggies home.. over the next while the one piggie was getting a very large belly, I was pretty sure she was preggers, so we have been feeding them lots of veggies and fresh water, we don't handle the pregnant one to much and not at all since she is a lot bigger now.. but today my son was holding the other piggie on his lap and she looked very pear shaped to me so i felt her belly and i could feel a movement! so Im guessing that i have 2 pregnant piggies!! I watched them both very close today and when they lay still i can see the babies moving around a lot! im not sure how much longer till we have a bunch of little ones.. Trying to plan fast since we had no intentions on more then 2 and im guessing in a little while we will have a small farm of piggies..
So what I want to know is,
Is it okay for the 2 pregnant girls to be together in the cage during and after babies are born?
And since I can clearly see the babies moving is it going to happen soon? I know its probably hard to tell an exact time but an estimate would be nice :)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for adopting instead of shopping! The lady you took them from has her facts all skewed up, females can get pregnant as young as four weeks old, and you're probably very right in thinking both are pregnant.

You can usually feel the pups moving about a week (?) before delivery, but I'm not 100% on that one. However, the last "sign" before delivery is pelvic bone separation. Have someone hold them still in the cage, and place your forefinger just above their genitalia (going from behind works best). They usually separate about 48 hours before delivery, but the pups make their own schedule, and they'll come when they want to! Gestation lasts for 10 weeks, so you can work out based on how long you've had them roughly how much time is left.

Regardless of pregnancy, pigs need 1 cup (per pig) of fresh vegetables per day. Lettuce and green bell pepper are to be fed daily above all else, and you can use https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List to plan the rest of their menu. Be sure to read the editors notes at the top of the thread too.

Secondly, as long as you have adequate space, it's fine for two pregnant sows to live and give birth together. The majority of sows make great piggie aunts and are happy to help out with pups that aren't their own. You'll want to browse round the pregnancy subforum in the medical section for some information, and make sure you remove any male pups by the three week mark. Use https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm to determine which pups are male, and be sure to double, triple, quadruple check, because young pups can be difficult to sex.

Thirdly, having extra space as their will be two litters is important. Two sows need a 2x4 (grids, not foot) cage, and it would be wise to add an extra grid to that as in close quarters, the pups may end up having their ears chewed due to lack of space.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
The pups start kicking at 6 weeks into the pregnancy. Gestation is usually between 59-72 days (smaller litters tend to have longer gestations), thus pups usually start kicking at least 2 weeks before birth.

Also pregnant/lactating guinea pigs and guinea pigs under 6 months of age need extra calcium. Your options for calcium are alfalfa pellets OR adding alfalfa hay to their normal hay (at a 30% alfalfa 70% timothy/whatever long strand grass hay you feed) OR a high calcium veg eg. a couple sprigs of parsley.

Other then this I think @Princess_Piggie has it covered.

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If your cage is large enough, they can stay together. But two pigs need about eight square feet, at a minimum, and with pups, they'll need even more. If they're too crowded, they'll be stressed, and the pups ears can get nibbled.

Pregnancy lasts about 9-10 weeks. You can feel the pups moving at about 6 weeks. About a week before delivery, you can hear their teeth gnashing, and the pelvic bones will separate about 24-48 hours before birth. These are estimates only -- the pups come when they come.

See https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html for more info.

The woman you got your pigs from is woefully ignorant. Males are potent at around 4 weeks, and females can get pregnant at 4-5 weeks of age.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Wow did that lady have her facts screwed up. Guinea pigs lives aren't as long as other animals so can get pregnant very young. I mean if you really think about if an animals life is short than why wouldn't pregnancy capabilities be short to. (At least it makes sense to me). As far as everything else I think @Princess_Piggie and @bpatters have you covered.

Sugarbaby83

Cavy Slave
Thank you everybody for all the help!! We are going to make the cage bigger today so that they all have lots of room to move around in. Me and my son did lots of research before we brought the piggies in to our home we just never thought to check in to anything to do with breading at all since we had only planned on 2 girlies. We are making sure to give them lots of good veggies and they have been getting alfalfa pellets, since we were told that was best for babies and now our babies are having babies! This is super excited and so unexpected.. Ill be sure to keep everybody up to date on what happens and will be reading lots of everything here in the forum. Thank you again!! oh and I've never used a forum before so I might be a bit slow as to how things work took me forever to figure out how to make that first post lol

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Yes for pigs under 6 months and pregnant sows need extra calcium that's why they need the alfalfa.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Hi there, and welcome to the forum! I hope you can post pigtures once the babies are born!

Sugarbaby83

Cavy Slave
Yes for sure I will post some pictures when the little ones are here and ill try and get some of the preggie piggies too.. so anxious waiting to see when the babies will be here!!

AmazingPiggie

Cavy Slave
I had a surprise pregnancy a few months back and baby pigs are the cutest things.
I would never dream of breeding but I am so glad for my little baby piggie as he is literally the cutest thing and he is so used to attention he is so tame and oh so cute.
I hope everything goes well for the Mamy pigs and the baby's are okay and healthy.

Sugarbaby83

Cavy Slave
So still no little piggies! .. They are both so big though so I'm guessing it will be soon. I counted on a calendar and from the day we brought them both home and its been 50 days so if they happened to get pregnant the day before we brought them home we still have a few more weeks but I'm sure it happened before that lol. You can see the little babies moving so much every time the girls are stilling still.. I've been reading so much on this forum and I love all the info and cute piggies everywhere! Im so worried about the lethal white how can I tell if my piggies are at risk of this? Im not sure how to tell if they are roan or not?

Sugarbaby83

Cavy Slave
thank you for the links im going to read threw them now and see what I can find out :)

Sugarbaby83

Cavy Slave
so I read threw the stuff in the links and from what I can tell I might be in the clear, but both my piggies are white and black with just solid color spots. The brother that was in the cage with them was solid brown and white so I guess I will just have to wait and see.. Im just worried with having both of them pregnant there is a chance of a lot of babies more then one lethal would be a lot of work and for a first time piggy owner too. Okay another weird question can you hear the babies in the belly making small squeaks? i was sitting by the cage this morning and i heard really tiny squeaks so i though there were going to be babies when i looked in but there was not maybe the moms were just squeaking under there breath lol

janinehunt

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hi! Welcome to the forum! Just wanted to wish you and your little dudes well, and mention that you need to baby proof the cage so they don't get their heads stuck in the grids. You can overlap grids to create smaller spaces, or zip tie coroplast or cardboard from the base to high enough up the sides so that the babies cannot reach the grids. Good luck!!

Sugarbaby83

Cavy Slave
yes we have the coroplast up the edges we made it that way from the beginning to keep the hey from getting out and all over the place, but they are pretty tidy with the hay so once the little ones are bigger we might lower it a bit more so they can see out better :) does anybody have any tips on how to get them to stop pooping everywhere?? we bought a litter box for them but they dont even go in it.. i even put some of there poops in there in hopes they would just use it lol

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, you can't hear them squeak, but you can hear their teeth gnashing about a week before birth.

More babies don't mean much more work. Depending on the size of the cage, you may have to clean it more frequently, but if you've got a really large cage, you don't even have to do it that often. And you chop up a few more veggies, and when they're older, you've got more nails to clip and butts to trim. But two pigs are not anywhere near double the work of one, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Sugarbaby83

Cavy Slave
I ment if I ended up with more then 1 lethal white.. I have 2 pregnant piggies so and im not 100% sure if they are roan or not.. but im sure it will all be okay :) .. right now I have a 2x5 cage but depending on how many little piggies we keep I will be working on making a larger cage.. I love to see them run and pop around :)

Sugarbaby83

Cavy Slave
So we were out for a wedding last night and when we got home today we seen Squeak the very pregnant piggy still very pregnant so no babies we thought but then we lifted the house of waffles and she had to little babies!! they are so cute!!! We werent expecting her to have them first since we just found out she was pregnant not long ago and she was so much smaller then squeak. But we are so happy they are really the cutest things ever

Sugarbaby83

Cavy Slave
im not sure how to add photos if should could tell me i can show you all a picture of the little babies

Attachments

10660934_10154549632925246_380508955_n-1.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.