Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Newbie with a pair of piggies-grossly unprepared!

Silverwind

Cavy Slave
Critterluvva, when I first developedbthe allergy, I thought it was has. we switched types and I stopped touching the hay, but my reactions were not reduced. I eventually realized the orst of my reactions happened not after handling hay, but after handling the bunny himself. I has cronic sinusitis and it was bad, but every time I played with or petted my bunny my eyes would swell shut and I would have severe wheezing :( We have had the pigs since Monday and I am the one who feeds them and I have not had any reactions :)

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
Ahhh! I'm so sorry to hear that. It would be terrible to have to get rid of a beloved pet. I've had my Sunny (Shetland Sheepdog) for 11 years, I can't imagine not being able to handle him one day and having to let him go. I'm glad to hear it wasn't hay, though, and that you've been ok so far with your piggies! :D

galeadenise

Cavy Slave
critterluvva...it's so nice to see that I'm not the only one that's doing that too! When are you getting your piggies? I'm buying from a store since we don't have shelters or breeders here. I got a nice surprise when my petshop told me that they cannot be ordered since he gets them from people who don't want them anymore or unwanted babies :D I love my pet shop, you can hardly smell that he has animals inside since he cleans them and takes care of them so much.

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
critterluvva...it's so nice to see that I'm not the only one that's doing that too! When are you getting your piggies? I'm buying from a store since we don't have shelters or breeders here. I got a nice surprise when my petshop told me that they cannot be ordered since he gets them from people who don't want them anymore or unwanted babies :D I love my pet shop, you can hardly smell that he has animals inside since he cleans them and takes care of them so much.

I have to say, it was with trepidation that I began to read your message- you're getting them from a pet store? But that guy sounds like he's really got it together. Does he make sure previously bonded pairs stay together?

My husband works in construction (buildings, mainly businesses), so there's no work for him in the winter. While we're set during the rest of the year, our needs are not being met in the winter and it's not working out for us. So he's going to get a new job, hopefully soon. (There's something we have to finish first on a personal note; then he'll be ready to find another job.)

My brother works in a factory in our area that he has referred us too. They hire through a temp agency and, after 3 months, if they want you, you become a permanent employee. My husband's a good worker and the business is booming, so we don't foresee any problems with him getting or maintaining the job.

We want to make sure he's settled into it first, though (with him a permanent employee minimum) before we get our new friends. That way we know that not only are our needs being met, but we can meet the needs of our pets too. Starting wage is $10 (what he's making now), and when they hire you on, you get a $2-3 raise. So he could be making $12-13 by the end, depending on what they hire him on as, and we can live very comfortably off of that. :)

Kind of a complicated answer to a simple question, but in short, it could be a good 4-6 months before I'm able to get my babies. This will hardly be an "impulsive buy". I have a long road ahead of me before I can get them. However, in the mean time, I can be building my knowledge and gathering my supplies- cage, accessories, toys, etc so I still have plenty to do.

I've been looking at the pet classifieds to see what's available. I've noted a similar problem, very few rescues around here as well. I'm determined not to buy from the pet store (PetSmart, PetCo :p) or a breeder, so that really limits my options. I'm hoping some soul will understand my situation and send up their critters with a pet service. I'm going to post a video of my set up on You Tube when I'm ready to adopt so people can see what kind of home their pets will have.

It's hard not being able to adopt now because, in researching my options, I see pets I would love to have that need immediate homes. There's a pair of (male) Abyssinians in Illinois whose owner can't care for them any more. I just love their names too! If I could have choice of breed, I'd get an abby and/or a texel. Also, the guy is willing to let them go individually. They're bonded, so I would love to just take them both if I could... but I'm not ready! :(

Sorry... I tend to be a bit chatty. :eek:

galeadenise

Cavy Slave
It is tough wanting something and having to wait. I was supposed to wait till the end of next month but the pet shop I mentioned said that a couple called him because their guinea pigs had babies and don't want to keep them. He only has turtles, rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs and some birds...all from locals who had babies and don't want them. Well, not sure about the turtles but I have yet to see a speck of dirt in the cages. He mostly has food, litter and accessories. I have no choice here...no shelters exist for guinea pigs, no local listings or known breeders. They're not that popular a pet here. Most people have dogs, cats or birds.

Hope you get to adopt before, you seem like you really want to but unfortunately can't.

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
I do. I'm lonely and this house is quiet. Which is really an unhealthy situation to be in as it can cause depression! I'm handicapped and can't work and hubby's gone 90% of the time. Guinea pigs will give me something constructive to do and "sing" to me, and there are piggies out there who need a loving home such as what I can provide- time and attention and proper living conditions. As time slowly ticks by... :)

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
One suggestion that I have-you can use the base of your store bought cage as a "kitchen" area where you feed hay and pellets. Just set the base inside the C & C with a little ramp or brick to help them get over the edge. Then you can just pick it up and dump it for cage cleaning time.

Silverwind

Cavy Slave
Its okay Critterluvva, Im easygoing :) Im sorry to hear you are havig a hard time. If I lived near you I would reach out! I hope all goes well with your hubby and his new job and you can get your piggies soon!

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
I do. I'm lonely and this house is quiet. Which is really an unhealthy situation to be in as it can cause depression! I'm handicapped and can't work and hubby's gone 90% of the time. Guinea pigs will give me something constructive to do and "sing" to me, and there are piggies out there who need a loving home such as what I can provide- time and attention and proper living conditions. As time slowly ticks by... :)

They really are a joy and a great mood lifter! No substitute for piggy kisses. I have muscular dystrophy and have been losing mobility as the months go by, so I can't manage horses or dogs on my own anymore, but it's been gratifying being able to care for the pigs. You cannot get bored with pigs. They will not let you get bored! Or if you do, there is always another way to rearrange their C&C pens! lol

They also have 1001 ways to use TP rolls and paper bags, which is entertaining in itself.

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
Its okay Critterluvva, Im easygoing :) Im sorry to hear you are havig a hard time. If I lived near you I would reach out! I hope all goes well with your hubby and his new job and you can get your piggies soon!

Thank you, but there's really no need to worry now. It's spring, the winter is now behind us, and hubby is working again. We're eating well and even he says he just can't work there any more. It's nice for him to be able to work with a construction company, because he loves building, but he can't support us during the winter so he's been looking at other options any way. I'm hoping and praying he really does get that job or better! :)

:D @Wildcavy I'm looking forward to changing up their pens time after time. And, should I need more coroplast, I'm very happy with the price I found ($11 for one 4'x8'!) and don't think we would have a problem getting that. I'll also be stocking up on various items to change things up before I get them. (ie: pigloos, wooden houses, fleece hideys, etc)

That's some idea... a book about 1001 Cheap, Free, and Pet Safe Toys for Guinea Pigs. :) Who knows, maybe after I get my guinea pigs- they'll practically write the book for me. LOL. Any ideas I need I'll just have to observe their behavior and try different things with them. :)

Side Note: I'm head over heels for horses myself, although I never got the opportunity with them that I dreamed of. Only got to go riding a couple of times; that was it. I know I'm still young, but I don't think we'll ever have the financing for them. Sa la vie! Que sera sera!

I saw your post about your horses recently. Sounds like you run an establishment for physically challenged students. I'm very impressed with that. ;) Who helps you run the establishment if you can't do it yourself?:?:

Last edited:

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
That's some idea... a book about 1001 Cheap, Free, and Pet Safe Toys for Guinea Pigs. :) Who knows, maybe after I get my guinea pigs- they'll practically write the book for me. LOL. Any ideas I need I'll just have to observe their behavior and try different things with them. :)

Side Note: I'm head over heels for horses myself, although I never got the opportunity with them that I dreamed of. Only got to go riding a couple of times; that was it. I know I'm still young, but I don't think we'll ever have the financing for them. Sa la vie! Que sera sera!

I saw your post about your horses recently. Sounds like you run an establishment for physically challenged students. I'm very impressed with that. ;) Who helps you run the establishment if you can't do it yourself?:?:

On the book -- I think that's a great idea. I'd also be interested in any plans that your husband makes on creating a pen -- I've been looking for a sturdier, sort of attractive base or frame for my c&c pens. We've been looking at converting the base of a small bed or coffee table, but I'm not that great at figuring out dimensions and such. I don't know about a larger market, but maybe he could sell blueprint-type things for pens!

On the horses -- the program is led by a trainer along with hippotherapy / PT / Special-Ed - trained instructors. There are volunteers (over the age of 16) who do everything from sidewalking to cleaning the barn and so forth (they get compensated by being able to ride the ponies/horses when classes aren't going on). It's a non-profit organization and is amazing. My youngest has really benefited from it. He talks to horses in a way that he will not talk to people, and they seem to understand him and his emotions.

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
@Wildcavy Actually, that was a completely different book idea than what I listed somewhere else. The book would just be that- cheap and free toys for piggies. :) I get lots of ideas going through my head all the time, but I never know how to bring them out. It's like my ideas are locked inside my head. I'll work on it, though, when I can.

I asked hubby- he doesn't know how to draw up a blue print and neither do I. We might be able to write up instructions and have my sister (an artist) draw pictures of what was done. Also, I could just take video footage while he's making the pen and post it to YouTube. I'm sure I'd have a few hundred fans in a matter of days. Teehee!

NOTE: We've talked about the pen and realized that if we're able to get them this fall, after he's settled into another job, we may not be able to make a pen until next year any way. The consensus being that it may be too cold for critters to go outside until spring, but I will keep you posted! (Probably post a thread on the forum on how he did it.)

I know about going to work at stables in exchange for lessons. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to look into any thing like it because of my sore lack of transportation. Stables have the tendancy to need space, so they're usually in the country, and I live in a suburb of a large town (in my small town-country mind, a city!). Apparently, according to my counselor, in this area, there is equine therapy (geared towards humans, working with horses), but I'm not sure how I would get there or how I would pay for it. I can imagine, horses being included, it would be very expensive therapy. I'm glad that you and your son have that resource, though. Are you still able to be with the horses, if not take care of their needs?

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Apparently, according to my counselor, in this area, there is equine therapy (geared towards humans, working with horses), but I'm not sure how I would get there or how I would pay for it. I can imagine, horses being included, it would be very expensive therapy. I'm glad that you and your son have that resource, though. Are you still able to be with the horses, if not take care of their needs?

It is expensive, I won't lie. We're fortunate to be able to do it. It's taken a very, very long time to get from rice and beans to where we are now, and we do not take for granted anything we have or can do, now. I'm able to be around the horses, I can groom and watch them and I do other volunteer stuff. The day I realized that I could no longer ride, I couldn't be around them for four years. Hurt too much. But it's been a blessing for me as well as my son that he can do this -- I've overcome the pain and hurt and realized that I can still be around horses, just in a different way.

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
Ahh! I'm so sorry, @Wildcavy I can't imagine not being able to ride any more. (Sorry if you said that before and it didn't sink in. I have problems getting all the information the first time sometimes.) I'm glad you were able to get past your depression, though. :)

As far as the expense is concerned, I wasn't talking about the running the business aspect- I don't think I could handle that. I was talking about the being a patient aspect. I'm sure going in as a customer would also be expensive. ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.