Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Did I adopt a pregnant sow?

Thebosspigs

Cavy Slave
- Back story: Recently adopted 2 baby sows approx 2 weeks ago (4/14/2018) , the one in question was born on valentines day (2/14/18), they were purchased as cage buddies for my husboars (castrated males) so far everything is going very well, except..

Today I was holding little clover who is now a few days over 3 months old and couldn't help but notice there is something peculiar feeling whenever i run my hands along the sides of her belly, (one side more than the other).

Why I suspect pregnancy
: When I was on the rescues Facebook page I was looking threw Clovers baby pictures and happen to see that she was mis-sexed at first; they believed she was a little boy but claims she was separated "just before the three week mark" - see image provided-

Questions:
- What are the odds a sow gets pregnant that early?
- Is there anything commonly mistaken for pregnancy?

.... Thoughts? Input? constructive feedback?

Untitled.jpg

ChubbyMonroe

Cavy Slave
From the picture, I can't really tell whether she might be pregnant but some symptoms do make it seem it could be a possible pregnancy.

I would advice going to the vets as they can do scans and check her over and tell you if she is having babies and an estimate number of how many there maybe.

ChubbyMonroe

Cavy Slave
Plus if she was mixed with males, missexed, then there is a higher possibility that she is pregnant.

Thebosspigs

Cavy Slave
This is not an updates picture of her, just a timestamp of when she was seperated from intact malea.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Thebosspigs

Cavy Slave
I would like to add her weight

When adopted she was 367g
Today she is 391g

Thebosspigs

Cavy Slave
Updated picture, there is something very obviously felt on her left side, nothing on the right..
8835e1bc3759c058c11c177650c81c65.jpg

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
She seems very small for her age! I agree her belly looks suspicious. Usually young pigs are quite slim, it can take a while for them to chub up and I wouldn't expect a pig of that size and age to chub up in the belly yet... and only the belly it looks like.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
If she really was 3 weeks old when separated from all intact males then I highly doubt she could have gotten pregnant that early, sows only go into heat for the first time between 4 and 6 weeks of age.

I also find it strange that it is so distinctly only one side that is much larger, pregnant sows can sometimes be a bit lopsided but not to such a large extent where one side looks completely normal and the other side does not.

Are you sure there isn't something else going on? Like for example possibly an abscess?

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I agree that it's unlikely that she became pregnant that young, but it sounds like they weren't sure how to sex piggies properly to begin with so I do wonder if she was with a mis-sexed male at any point after that? (I am frequently suspicious of everything though, so perhaps please excuse my paranoia.)
@Soecara I think the piggy is lopsided because she is so tiny? I've seen pregnant babies before and they often look... weird, depending on where in what uterine horn a foetus is growing. The ratio is always off because the mother pig is such a wee sprout herself. But I agree it could be something else medically going on (abscess, ovarian cyst)... though she seems a little young for a large ovarian cyst. But you never know!

ChubbyMonroe

Cavy Slave
I agree that it's unlikely that she became pregnant that young, but it sounds like they weren't sure how to sex piggies properly to begin with so I do wonder if she was with a mis-sexed male at any point after that? (I am frequently suspicious of everything though, so perhaps please excuse my paranoia.)
@Soecara I think the piggy is lopsided because she is so tiny? I've seen pregnant babies before and they often look... weird, depending on where in what uterine horn a foetus is growing. The ratio is always off because the mother pig is such a wee sprout herself. But I agree it could be something else medically going on (abscess, ovarian cyst)... though she seems a little young for a large ovarian cyst. But you never know!

I can agree it could be a abcess or cyst because if you can feel an unusual lump, it could be within the womb. Plus she is definitely too young to be able to mate with males.

Thebosspigs

Cavy Slave
Lol - im unsure why everyone is under the impression she is "lopsided" i assure you all she is very symetrical, i stated i could only feel something in the left "pouch" not the right. Does not feel abcessed at all, nor like overian cysts. I have experience with both. I have a senior with overian cysts currently, very two different things. Regardless either she is or isn't-will follow up.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
My mistake, I thought she was lopsided because in the photo the white side of her abdomen looks much larger than her other side but if it does not feel that way then the photo might just be deceptive.

I agree with stray hares that it is quite possible they mis-sexed one of the other guinea pigs and she was in contact with an intact male much later than first thought.

Thebosspigs

Cavy Slave
Update: she is now 448g and has little kicks on one side.. Stay tuned

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.