Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Let's see your cage Pictures please.

I gave the girls a change in scenery. They were hopping around all crazy like. I quite like it this way. A smaller hay rack, but these girls get along so well that they aren't fighting over anything. And it still has 2 sides for them to eat from should they get testy anyways.

@MrWhistles
I love how creative you got with the hiding houses. :)

Hi all,

It's a different type of grid. It's just under 70cm (68cm) x 120 (cm). There are no grid places in Melbourne but these were similar and found in a Japanese $2.00 store. They're meant to be attached to a wall and used to organise utensils, spices etc. The suggested spice rack makes a great place to keep the hay :). It's all been a work in progress and the milk crates work great to give them both their own private space.

Hi @Mogwai,
If you don't mind me asking, what shop was it called and also at which shopping centre. I cant seem to find any grids either (in melbourne). Thanks :)

Okay y'all. I went to plexiglass! Haven't done the loft yet. Let's see your cage Pictures please.Let's see your cage Pictures please.Let's see your cage Pictures please.

It looks amazing! I love how it's clear and you can see into the cage! The fleece is also very cute. :)

Thanks so much. I think the piggies like the change as well :) got my fleece from Jo Ann fabric.

That looks great! I was wondering though, did you cut your fleece around your kitchen or is your kitchen sitting on top of the fleece?

Both of my kitchens are separate coroplast pieces all together :) the fleece is cut around the other kitchen but it was easy to do. I got a giant piece of fleece and just cut out the demensions of the kitchen.

Oh, I assumed they were separate pieces. That's why I wondered if the just sat on top of your main fleece or if you cut that corner of fleece out. I plan to make my kitchen as a separate coro piece as well so I was trying to figure out if I should cut the fleece out or not. Mine will be in the middle of the cage though. I'm kinda nervous about cutting out the center if my fleece. Cutting, well measuring really, isn't my strong suit :)

It will be easier than you think :) it helps if you take the whole piece of fleece with you into the cage and just set it on top of all the coroplast. And then just cut the fleece that is on top of the kitchen area out of the whole piece. Any extra fleece edges you can tuck under.

That would be easier than I was thinking. I really am so horrible at these kinds of things. I can see things together like a rock star if someone else has cut out the pieces. I do alright with ore made patterns. Making my own patterns though, ugh, horrible. :(

Gez Louise, I can't type today. Sorry about the typos.

That's okay! I can't sew or anything...anything fleece I buy online :) what are you using under your fleece? I have a layer of puppy training pads, two layers of towels, three layers under the hidey huts. On top of that I have another layer of puppy training pads and then the fleece. The edges of fleece I tuck under everything and it works great.

Well it's a brand new cage so I haven't decided yet! I bought the fleece so I could get it prepped. I have wonderful waterproof pad material from when my kids were little. It's 2 layers or a felted material with rubber fuzed in between. I was going to see that between my fleece to make a pad. I also have this amazing material the Husband brought me. It's automotive fabric but it's basically the same as the crib pads. Super absorbent, quick dry fabric with rubber fused between the layer. I could use that, he must have brought me dozens of yards of it. Or I could get u-haul pads. I'm not sure I want something that thick though. I'll have the kitchen and I'm going to make "area pads" for the places they go the most. I'll make more plush pads for under hideys and cuddle cups etc. I'm just not sure what to do.

That sounds awesome! Really anything absorbent works well :) also make sure to wash and dry the fleece 3 times to make it wick away moisture :) I have little potty pads under all the houses too. That works well. I actually used to have bedding but fleece is so much cheaper and the pigs are much happier :)

Hi!
My beautiful boys, Fred and George, were very lucky that I found about c and c cages before I got them! Unfortunately I didn't find know about buying from pet shops! It was only after I bought them that I found out about all the guinea pig rescues, so when I expand my herd, I will be going to rescues rather than shops!! Anyway, I bought them around three months ago. There first cage was a 4 x 2.5 which I cant seem to find a picture of. I couldn't find any cheap grids where I live, so I opted for these storage cubes, which have done a great job!
Here is a picture of there first upgrade that I did by adding an upper level
Let's see your cage Pictures please.
I decided to put their kitchen upstairs, but they didn't seem to like it on newspaper, so I then changed it to newspaper with a huge layer of hay over it, with a towel over one half to make them feel more safe.
The about three weeks ago I changed their cage to this:
Let's see your cage Pictures please.Let's see your cage Pictures please.Let's see your cage Pictures please.Let's see your cage Pictures please.
Their cage is now 6.5 x 2.5 around 21 square feet! They love running laps around the whole cage. They are also a great wake up call, as soon as my alarm goes off in the morning, they wheek and run round, which sounds like a pair of elephants in my room!

This is a beautiful cage!!

Hi!
My beautiful boys, Fred and George, were very lucky that I found about c and c cages before I got them! Unfortunately I didn't find know about buying from pet shops! It was only after I bought them that I found out about all the guinea pig rescues, so when I expand my herd, I will be going to rescues rather than shops!! Anyway, I bought them around three months ago. There first cage was a 4 x 2.5 which I cant seem to find a picture of. I couldn't find any cheap grids where I live, so I opted for these storage cubes, which have done a great job!
Here is a picture of there first upgrade that I did by adding an upper level
View attachment 58413
I decided to put their kitchen upstairs, but they didn't seem to like it on newspaper, so I then changed it to newspaper with a huge layer of hay over it, with a towel over one half to make them feel more safe.
The about three weeks ago I changed their cage to this:
View attachment 58414View attachment 58415View attachment 58416View attachment 58417
Their cage is now 6.5 x 2.5 around 21 square feet! They love running laps around the whole cage. They are also a great wake up call, as soon as my alarm goes off in the morning, they wheek and run round, which sounds like a pair of elephants in my room!
The colors are lovely and the cage looks great. :)

Your cage is beautiful!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.