Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Should I wait to get the guinea pigs?

HannahN

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone! First, to introduce myself, I'm Hannah. I will be getting guinea pigs very soon, within the next month or so (I hope). But that is what I need your advice with...
So I have been literally obsessing and preparing for guinea pigs for over 3 months now. I am in college and where I live now does not allow pets. BUT- I will be moving to a new apartment that allows small pets, so I will have my guinea pigs.
My issue is, I really want them ASAP, I get out of school at the end of this month and I go back home. My family lives 15 minutes from my college, so over the summer I will be living there and working. So when I am home, I switch houses, from my moms to my dads, every 2 days. They live less than 5 minutes from each other. But I really do not know what to do about getting guinea pigs. Is it a bad idea for me to get them right when I am out of school? I would keep them at my dad's house, but I am afraid I will not be able to be with them every single day. I definitely do not want to transport them from house to house every couple of days either. I am just so excited to set up the cage and play with them.
So I just need some general advice. What should I do? Should I wait (impatiently) until I move into this new apartment at the end of August. Or can I get them when I go home, and try my best to see them every single day? Also- this would only be for over THIS summer, so like for the first 2 or 3 months of me owning guinea pigs. Any advice would be great! Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd wait until I could be with them every day. When you first get them, it takes a lot of patience and time to get them to trust you, and it will be far easier for you, and less stressful for them, if you can see them every day, offer them treats several times a day, hold them while you're studying, whatever.

gpiggies

Cavy Slave
I second bpatters. I'd wait to get them when you have the chance to be with them daily, especially since the first couple of weeks you get them you need to be with them constantly for them to get used to you.

miniver

Cavy Slave
You can pass the time by getting a head start on the cage. Make some stuff out of fleece for them; pillows, sacks, cuddle cups. You have plenty of time to sew them by hand if you don't have a machine. You can also keep an eye out for good deals on supplies.

80s_piggies

Cavy Slave
I totally get the frustration of waiting, but I agree you should wait until you can be with them every day. They will need your daily attention. I know I can't go more than a few hours without a poop sweep! I'm pretty sure they'd be buried in two days LOL. In all seriousness though, your joy of getting them quicker would be short-lived if something happened while you weren't there for a few days. I love @miniver suggestion of taking this time to really prepare. Build your cage and get supplies ready. Research your local exotic vets and watch the rescues. How do your parents feel about the idea of guinea pigs?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.