Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bloated Sick with bloat.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It was all fine for the first few days, the guinea pigs seemed normal happy, friendly and bubbly little animals. A week had past and one of my guinea pigs (Mocha) had started making noises like she was in pain and she was grinding her teeth. It was 6'o clock and there were no vets open. She ended up making these noises all night. The next morning we immediately took her to the closest vet, but the vet was apparently "late" so we had to wait an hour just to get in. She had no idea what she was doing, she didn't even know what the animal was! She though she was a hamster -.-"! Then she made us pay $75 in a vet bill when she did nothing! We ended up finding a vet that specialized in rabbits and guinea pigs (An hours drive away). The vet gave her an X-ray and gave her some medicine and told us to come back in 2 weeks to check up on her. Mocha improved and no longer made the noises and her stomach went back to normal. The vet ended up figuring out that the pellets we bought from a pet store must have done it to her stomach and given her gas because nothing else explained it. After a few weeks and regular check ups with the vets the vet decided to allow Mocha to eat pellets again that were from the vet and we new were safe. Then everything started over again, a few days later she made the noises and we went back to the medication. We are going back to the vets tomorrow. The vet also said she could have a stomach problem. I was wondering If anyone has had any similar experiences with their guinea pigs or knows of any stomach problem she could have.

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
Hi,
That's a pity that your little mocha got so bloated. I wouldn't even bother giving her pellets any more. Guinea pigs actually don't even need pellets, only vegetables and hay. If its the pellets that are doing it, I'd stop feeding them altogether :)
Good luck

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
I stopped given her pellets. She's getting better and has another vet appointment :) . Thank you for the advice.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
What sort of Pellets are you feeding her? What sort of vegetables is she getting? How much, how often?

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
@Aetryn I am not sure of the name of the pellets I fed her as I have thrown them away (It's actually not the type of pellets she can't have it's all pellets that make her bloated). Some of the veggies we give her are Bok choy, celery leaves, Parsley, Chai lan and lots of others. She gets veggies every day for dinner. We know the veggies we feed her don't give her the gas as the vet has checked the diet we feed her.

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
I'm glad to hear that your pig is getting better :) The only thing I could think of was if the pellets you were feeding her had seeds in it? I know a lot of pellet brands try to make it look healthier by putting a variety of seeds in it but guinea pigs have a hard time digesting the seed coating. That may have caused the bloating.

Hope she keeps getting better :)

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Well, Bok Choy is in the cabbage family, I'd stop feeding her that. Do you mean Kai-Lan? Similar to broccoli? If so, I'd also stop feeding that. Your diet seems very heavy in gas causing veggies. Are you sure this is a Cavy Savvy vet? Those vegetables shouldn't be fed on an almost daily basis.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
@Aertyn Really? Because our vet suggested that we feed them those to veggies. Thank you for telling me that though. And they aren't fed daily, we feed those once a week. I will have to confront my vet and tell her that. And she specializes in guinea pigs so she is meant to be cavy savvy.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Bloat is a pain to treat, as different foods can set off bloat attacks in different pigs. For now I'd get some Infacol (it's a medication for babies with gas, all chemists should have it) and a hand massager if she bloats when no vet is open. I'd also start keeping a food diary. Document what you are feeding her and how much (and when) and see if a pattern starts to emerge. One of my previous girls used to bloat if I fed them yellow capsicum. Just the yellow, not the red or green. It was bizarre but thankfully avoidable.

in the meantime continue to offer unlimited grassy hay (you haven't mentioned what you are feeding hay wise). Have your tried Oxbow pellets? They are the only pellets in Australia that are actually suitable to feed to Guinea Pigs.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
I can't feed Mocha pellets because it sets her off :c I have already given her some of the Oxbow and she got sick again. I am already giving her Infacol and Cisapride to get rid of the gas. Tomorrow she has an X-ray to see how much gas has gone. I am feeding her Oaten hay at the moment. Thanks so much for your help and I will be getting some yellow capsicums tomorrow.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I think perhaps Aertyn is thinking that maybe it was the gas producing veggies, and not the pellets, that were causing the gas problem. It certainly makes more sense.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
@foggycreekcavy This is probably confusing everyone as I haven't explained a lot up there. When I went to the vet one of the practice vets came and suggested I feed her those veggies (So after I went to the vet Mocha had already had gas so those veggies would have just made it worst). Before that I fed a diet of Apples, carrots, celery leaves, parsley. And the diet would change everyday so those veggies would be one day and then the next it would change. Sorry I am confusing everyone.. We know it's pellets because she did strange things after she ate them like drink ALOT of water and not stop. Then a while after that she would start whining in pain.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
What pellets were you feeding her (you still haven't answered that question). I have never heard of pellets that cause bloat.

I'd probably consider a daily diet that consists of
Endive
Raddichio
Coriander

None of these should cause bloat. I would then look at supplementing other things (anything leafy that *isn't* in the cabbage family, no Broccoli, no Asian Greens). Avoid Fruit until you get this sorted out as fruit can upset the stomach (because of the sugars, it makes the gut bacteria go a bit whacky).

I would also consider posting on the Guinea Lynx medical forum, as I'm sure they have lots more experience in dealing with bloat.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
@Aertyn I have just arrived back from the vet. Mocha doesn't have enough good stomach bacteria. Unfortunately I got my guinea pigs from a breeder as I was unaware about the sick guinea pigs they sold. And we have stuff for the bloat and stomach bacteria so she should be fine, thank you for the advice and I will be going shopping soon so I will get those veggies.

soopermum62

Cavy Slave
No wonder the baby was in pain!! I hope she gets better soon!

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
@soopermum62 I hope she does too. It has also slowed down her growth so she is so small compared to her buddy :(

Chritazy

Cavy Slave
@Aertyn I have just arrived back from the vet. Mocha doesn't have enough good stomach bacteria. Unfortunately I got my guinea pigs from a breeder as I was unaware about the sick guinea pigs they sold. And we have stuff for the bloat and stomach bacteria so she should be fine, thank you for the advice and I will be going shopping soon so I will get those veggies.

What did you get for the stomach bacteria? Can guinea pigs have probiotics?

I'm glad it's been figured out and that she'll be ok!

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
@Chritazy Well it's a very "interesting" thing to give her for it. But basically they got some of a healthy guinea pigs poop and mushed it up to give to her and I think they may have added something with the mixture as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chritazy

Cavy Slave
@MochaAndMoo Oh. Eew. That's gross...but I guess it works or they wouldn't do it.

Chritazy

Cavy Slave
@MochaAndMoo Will she be able to eat pellets again when she's done with the mixture? How long does she have to have it? I hope you don't mind my questions. I feel bad for her!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.