Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C to loft, or not to loft. THAT is the question!

Nina McDougall

Cavy Slave
I am the proud new owner of my first set of piggies! I bought 2, 3 week old boar siblings (although unsure of thier sex at time of purchase). I initially bought 2 large guinea pig cages for each of them and now that I have been able to sex them, and have proper reintroduction as they had been separated, am going to venture to make a large c&c cage for them and switch to fleece bedding. I am looking for opinions on adding a loft as a kitchen area or maybe a separate bedroom? What are your experiences?

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
I don't have a loft

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
I was planning to do a loft, but decided against it. Cleaning under the loft sounds like a pain, and your pig might not even use it! I chose to just expand the lower level. Makes cleaning easier, and I can put more pigs in the single level than the one with a loft. Upper levels don't count towards square footage.

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
We do have one and our girls spend a gps amount of time up there (although that is where veggies get delivered so ...).

However, keep in mind that loft space does not count towards square footage of space. GPs need flay room to run. You can always add a loft later on.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
With boars, lofts are always a good idea. They may or may not use it ultimately, but it can definitely help give them space and at that age, the feistiness hasn't started yet, but will very soon.

Nina McDougall

Cavy Slave
With boars, lofts are always a good idea. They may or may not use it ultimately, but it can definitely help give them space and at that age, the feistiness hasn't started yet, but will very soon.

I am planning on a 3x5 foot cage with a 1x3 foot loft. Hopefully giving ample room for them to separate during the "teenage stage"

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
I have seen many people me ton that a 1x anything loft isn't wide enough. 2x3 would give them space to not be in each others face when both upstairs.

Sydnosa

Cavy Slave
I have a loft it's not too hard to clean under it. My pigs love to run up and down the ramp and lay at the top. I would say yes do a loft. Also it does a good job as a kitchen to contain the hay. it is good to give them the option of being on a different level in case of fighting.

librarychick

Cavy Slave
I had a loft for a long time, but I got rid of it. It's fun for younger pigs, but as my girls got older they got clumsily and both Ruth and Willow seemed to trip going up or down.

It's much easier to clean with no ramps/balcony too.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
I am planning on a 3x5 foot cage with a 1x3 foot loft. Hopefully giving ample room for them to separate during the "teenage stage"

If you are using C&C grids, they are 14 inches long/wide, not 12 inches. If you are cutting down size the bottom part will still be big enough but the loft will be small, full grids or not. I agree on trying to expand the loft, even 2x2 would be ok.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.