Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General A few questions

mnyablonski

Cavy Slave
I am getting piggies again in a month or so and wanting to be completely prepared before i bring them home. I have had them before so I know the basics but I do have a few questions.

What would the best bedding be? Just tile? Fleece? Carefresh type stuff?
Best pellet food? I heard something about oxbow or KMS but I have never heard of the second one so was wondering about.
Would 2-4 girls be okay in a 2x6 c&c cage?
What are the best chews I have rats currently so i have a lot of wood chews and such for them would those be okay? i know some small animals can't have certain woods are guinea pigs that way?
what is the best litter for a litter box? I use paper pellet type things for my rats it's a like the ferret brand of yesterday's news would that work?
I was looking at a few different breeds/fur types. Is there any difference personality wise? I was looking at Teddy, Abbys, maybe a long hair

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
1. I personally love fleece with wood stove pellets or towels underneath,
2. I use either oxbow or Small Pet Select Pellets.
3. Yes, i believe 4 would be fine in a 2by6 if they all get along well
4. Most wood chews you buy for your rats should be fine for the pigs.
5. I LOVE YESTERDAYS NEWS! It is a good litter for the box.
6. I personally think if you nurture and bond with your pigs breed makes little difference. I have two abbys, which are known for being a little feisty, but both of my girls are super sweet. Just keep in mind longer haired pigs need more upkeep on their grooming and haircuts.

Hope everything goes well with getting your pigs! If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Love, Piggielover200

mnyablonski

Cavy Slave
My last pair was an abby and an american and they both were pretty sweet but my little american anna was very cuddly

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
-I use fleece and towel (I just lay the towel down, then lay a piece of fleece over top and fold it around the towel)

-I feed KMS pellets, but oxbow is a good brand as well

-Guinea pigs don't need chew toys, but if you choose to provide them, anything safe for rats will be safe for your guinea pig

-a 2x6 will be great for up to 4 girls

-guinea pigs don't use litter boxes but you can use litter in the kitchen, just don't use anything that clumps

-remember to always provide hay (24/7) the most common hay to use is Timothy but any long strand hay will be fine

-also remember to feed veggies, 1 cup per pig per day. give some leafy greens (avoid kale spinach and romaine) and give some bell pepper every day

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
also, I have 2 American guinea pigs. their personalities are very different. it depends on the pig, not the breed imo.

mnyablonski

Cavy Slave
okay that's good to know :) I know about the veggies and hay i just wasn't sure about the pellet brand.

Fay

Cavy Slave
Welcome!

1. Fleece over wood pellets is a favorite around here, you can also use uhaul or towels under the fleece. You can buy pre-made fleece flippers in the store.

2. Most people here use Oxbow or KMS. You can buy pellets and good quality hay at the KMS store: (broken link removed)

3. A 2x6 grid cage would be great!

4. Guinea pigs don't really need chews. If you really want to get something wooden I'd recommend getting them wooden tunnels instead. What they do need to chew on is hay. Make sure to provide unlimited good quality hay at all times as that is what they mainly need to keep their teeth trimmed and digestive system going: https://www.guinealynx.info/hay.html - As for woods they can't have, I'd avoid anything treated, strong smelling pine and probably cedar (seeing as cedar bedding is not recommended) - If you scroll down on this page there's a list of poisonous plants: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List

5. Paper pellets would work great, just keep in mind that most pigs will defecate anywhere and everywhere. Although some do develop a favorite spot it will depend on the individual pig as they aren't potty trainable.

6. Breeds are all the same, personality depends on individual pigs. Just try to avoid cuys and lethals (although it would be hard not to notice the latter).

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
-I use fleece and towel (I just lay the towel down, then lay a piece of fleece over top and fold it around the towel)

-I feed KMS pellets, but oxbow is a good brand as well

-Guinea pigs don't need chew toys, but if you choose to provide them, anything safe for rats will be safe for your guinea pig

-a 2x6 will be great for up to 4 girls

-guinea pigs don't use litter boxes but you can use litter in the kitchen, just don't use anything that clumps

-remember to always provide hay (24/7) the most common hay to use is Timothy but any long strand hay will be fine

-also remember to feed veggies, 1 cup per pig per day. give some leafy greens (avoid kale spinach and romaine) and give some bell pepper every day
@peachyteen How is romaine bad? Its right on the healthy veggies chart, recommended daily. I give it to my pigs at least every other day. They love romaine.

Welcome to the forum btw!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Romaine causes some pigs to excrete a LOT of urinary calcium, which has been implicated in bladder stones. It's no higher in calcium than any of the other lettuces, but some pigs have problems with it, and others don't. If you see large white spots where the urine has dried, skip the romaine and feed red or green leaf lettuce instead. If you don't see the white spots, your pig obviously doesn't have a problem with it.

No one knows why this happens. There's some interaction between the pig and romaine that either causes the excretion or prevents it, and no one knows which.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Ah, i see. I think Pansy might be having issues with it then. I did notice white on the cardboard tube in their cage. I know she likes to pee in that thing.. i guess i could switch over to red leaf completely and see if it stops. Thanks, i didnt know that. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.